20 Plants That Could Kill Your Dog

Dogs are very curious creatures and will go around licking, chewing and even swallowing objects that pique their interest. So if you want to keep your dog safe when you bring it to the country or even just when you take it on a walk in the park you need to watch out for these 20 Plants That Could Kill Your Dog.
So keep your dog alive and barking by always being on the lookout for these beautiful but dangerous plants.

1. Lilies

This is by far the most dangerous plant around for your dog. Why you ask? The answer is simple, they are so common. You see them practically everywhere. But what most pet owners don’t know is that if ingested this plant can cause damage to a dogs kidneys. Even ingesting small amounts can be very harmful and will cause vomiting. If your dog ever eats a lily make sure you rush it to the vet immediately.

 

2. Azaleas

Don’t be fooled by their bright and attractive colour. In nature the most colourful things are usually the most dangerous. These plants can be spotted in the woods and mountain regions and ingestion can result in coma or even death. Small amounts will cause one to vomit and become weak so keep a tight leash on your dog if you see these around.
 

 


3. Oleanders

This is a popular plant used for landscaping. It is very attractive with its pinkish flowers but remember that every part of this plant is poisonous so don’t even go near this one. This can also be fatal if ingested in large amounts and symptoms of poisoning are the typical vomiting, abdominal stress and stomach distress.
 

 


4. Sago palms

Make sure your dog doesn’t lick this one because its seeds are very dangerous. If the dog accidentally eats a seed, it will exhibit symptoms of vomiting, seizure and liver failure. These are actually a common type of ornamental plant and they are easy to find in the south; but beware because all its parts are poisonous and not just the seeds.
 

 


5. Castor beans

Yet another southern plant that is used as a common ornament, the Castor Beans plant has parts that are rich in ricin. This is a very toxic substance that can cause allergic reactions, abdominal pain, vomiting and Diarrhea. The leaves of this plant are shaped like a star, kind of like the Canadian flag but with more fingers so you should be able to spot this one right away.
 

 


6. Jimson Weed (Datura stramonium L.)


This is a dangerous type of weed and all its parts are toxic. It was originally used for medical and intoxication purposes however it was later discovered that the negative side effects far outweigh the benefits. If ingested in large amounts poisoning will ensue and symptoms like diarrhea, depression, convulsions, coma and even death can result. This weed is also a hallucinogenic.

If you ever see this weed in your garden, make sure to pull them out and check the surrounding grounds for sprouts and seeds to prevent re-growth.

 


 
7. English Ivy (Hedera helix L.)

Along with the Morning glory vine, this plant is poisonous to our furry little friends. If they eat the leaves or the berries that grow from these symptoms like diarrea, troubled breathing, coma and even death can result. So if you really need a vine for your garden make sure that it isn’t one of these two.

 

 8. Hemlock, Water (Cicuta maculata L.)

This is well known in North America to be a very toxic plant. They contain a toxin called cicutoxin that can over-stimulate the nervous system and ingestion will normally result in seizures. These are easy to spot because of the umbrella type shape that their flower clusters have. These are very dangerous not only to dogs but also to humans so both of you better keep away.
 

 

9. Nightshade (Solanum spp.)

Solanum plants are relatives of the potatoes and some of them are actually edible. These ones are not however and despite the attractive looking fruits they have it is best to stay away from them. All their parts are toxic and ingestion can cause diarrhea, hallucinations, intestinal problems, rapid heart rate, bloating and even death. So make sure you don’t pick one of its grape like fruits and make sure your dog doesn’t try to nibble on a piece either.
 

 

10. Yew, English (Taxus baccata) and Japanese (Taxus cuspidata Sieb. & Zucc.)

This might seem like a cool tree to play under but remember that most parts of the tree except the wood are poisonous. The toxin generally isn’t strong enough to affect humans but they can be devastating and even lethal to animals. What makes this tree dangerous is that even the foliage remains toxic despite it already having dried up. So if you and your pet are planning on playing or chilling under this tree, better look for another one.
 

 

11. Poinsettias

Very cute plant with a very popular colour for toxic flowers, the Poinsettias is easy to find because of its stand out leaves. Thankfully though despite its deceptive colour the toxins in this plant are quite mild and it will take a lot to seriously harm our furry friends. If your dog does eat some though, make sure you have it checked by a Vet to be safe although treatment is usually not necessary.
 

 

12. Rhododendron (Rhododendron spp)

These are very toxic plants, so much so that a person eating honey made from nectar from these plants can still get sick. They can be very toxic not only to pets but even to ones as big as horses and other grazing animals. If ingested, common symptoms are diarrhea, hypersalivation, coma, depression, vomiting and even death. So don’t even let your pet get near these.
 

 

13. Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea)

Just because the name denotes an animal doesn’t mean these are safe for them. I doubt if even a fox could eat this and survive so don’t try it with a dog. These are easy to recognize because of the bell like purple flowers that hang downwards. They contain deadly chemical substances and should be avoided by both man and beast. The whole plant is toxic but the most dangerous parts are the leaves. Typical symptoms for these are cardiac failure, vomiting, diarrhea and death.
 

 

14. Lily of the Valley (Convalaria majalis)

This is a common plant in Asia and Europe although there are some areas in Eastern USA that have these plants as well. All parts of the plant are poisonous. They contain multiple toxins that can cause vomiting, ataxia and even death. So stay away from these and keep your dog away from the berries that grow/drop from these as well.
 

 

15. Cyclamen

This is a very beautiful ornamental plant but ingestion can cause vomiting, inflammation and even death if taken in large quantities. These plants are commonly found in Europe and the Mediterranean and the poisonous part of this plant is luckily buried underground. Dogs are however very fond of digging things up so if you have these in your garden, you need to make sure that your pet stays away.
 

 

16. Precatory Bean

This plant is highly toxic and should be avoided. Its most dangerous part is its seed since these are the ones that can most likely harm out pets and children as well. A child can die from swallowing a seed so if a dog chewed or swallowed one vomiting (with blood in sever cases), diarrhea, stomach cramps and even death could follow.

 


17. Black, Mountain or Sierra Laurel

Its botanical name is Leucothoe davisiae and it is commonly found along lakes and meadows. It is highly toxic to pets like cats and dogs and can even harm horses. Its main toxic substance is Grayanotoxins and symptoms of ingestion are diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, hyper salivation and coma. If a pet ingests the plant it needs to be purged and provided with good quality food and water.
 

 

18. Karaka Berries

These are usually found in lowland forests and in coastal ones. They bear fruits that have an extremely toxic seed. These fruits can fall of the plant and curious as dogs are, they could chew and swallow one of these. In fact a dog died from eating one of these at Aukland Park so you better make sure you keep yours away. Seeds are usually orange or yellowish in colour so make sure that you look out for them.
 

 

19. Avocado (Persea americana)

Avocado is a very common fruit bearing tree in the tropical areas of the world. The fruit itself is delicious and is highly valued commercially but the leaves, bark and skin of the avocado are dangerous to animals and can even result in death if ingested in large amounts. Symptoms of ingestion are vomiting, diarrhea, congestion and even death. So the next time you eat an avocado, make sure you dispose of the skin properly.

 

20. Potato Plant

Spuds may be great at dinner time but make sure you keep fido well away. The foliage and green tubers of the potato plant contain glycoalkaloid solanine. This chemical can cause intense digestive issues for both humans and dogs but only dogs are stupid enough to eat them. In higher enough doses the chemical inside a potato plant can actually kill!