Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
How to Control or Stop Dog Barking at Doorbell : Behavior Dog Barking
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

How to Control or Stop Dog Barking at Doorbell

Your dog barks in vain or you would like to train it to bark when it should. What makes a dog bark? Why do they bark on command or at a tree?

How to Control or Stop Dog Barking at Doorbell

Postby Luba Puppy » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:52 pm

Dogs who go into barking overload whenever they hear the doorbell must get some help getting over this before you can expect them to be quiet. The ring of the doorbell could be your dog's antecedent to barking, and it might be difficult for him to control. A lot of dogs with this problem literally explode into barking and it takes a quite few minutes for them to calm down.

One of the best ways of taming this behavior is to teach him to respond differently when the doorbell rings. The easiest way is by overloading the dog with the doorbell sound when no body is there so that the dog eventually learns that the doorbell ringing isn't necessarily what he thinks. He will start to associate this sound with something other than his initial thought.

You could also include some classical conditioning to change his opinion about the doorbell. This consists of developing different associations between a noise and an object; in this case it would be the doorbell and then something he likes, something good, like a snack or a game. In order to do this, ring the door bell and then give him lots of treats or start playing with him whether he is barking or not.

In this case, as contrary to operant conditioning or other types of training, we are not obligating the dog to do something before he gets a reward. To someone new at training a dog this may seem that we are rewarding the dog regardless of his behavior. Actually, we are creating an association between the doorbell and something good or positive so that eventually instead of barking the dog expects something else such as a game, or a treat. This is a very good way in trying to change how your dog associates doorbells. Try using this method to help solve this barking problem and it might help solve it quicker than other ways.
Luba Puppy
Site Admin

Dog barks at tv, help :shock:

Postby Purrson @Petchatters MSN » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:10 am

Just found this board, I am hoping to find a solution quickly.

I am going to be pup sitting in my home starting tomorrow.
Maui is a good boy, Belongs to my sister, he is a 1 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with a VERY unusual (in my eyes) errrrrr 'problem'

He is sweet and quiet in person, has never met an enemy. but he flips at the TV. He barks at every man, woman, child dog , cat, horse, on tv

OK granted responds like that more to animals then people, but does bark at people on tv, its like he thinks these images are real and he is demanding they come and play. I first saw him do this when watching the secret garden with my niece last July, although my sister had decribed the problem. He was quietly chewing a chew roll when a horse was on the screen abet briefly. He flipped bouncing around nearly falling off the bed in his attempt to get at the horse.

Curiously a few days later we went to the community July 4th party, and they had ponies and Miniature horses for the kiddies and he was fine, walked quietly up at my heel, bet I was hanging on and watching. Went right nose to nose wagging and sniffing, then looked up wagged and ignored the pony as the person led it over to the next child to ride.

He does get excited when he sees another dog if he cant get to it, but is a perfect gentleman if he can. My sister says if the other dog ignores him he gets upset, but I have not seen this.

In that we live in a condo I want to break his barking habit. I have trained many dogs over the years, for friends and neigbors but NEVER one with this problem.
My sister has not really tried anything I dont think, in that whatever I suggest, keeping him on lead to give an instant correction, having things on specifically to trigger it to correct him. get met with "oh no that wouldnt work because..."

He is the first dog of the family, she waited to retire before getting a dog, and did to the basic puppy training, at which he did great, but has not "gotten around to" further training although she 'intends to'

I will only have him around a week, know not much time for training, and changing a habit, but I do work with him when ever I am down there or they come up (bout 2 hour drive) and he definitely enjoys working with me and listening...

my other problem if anyone cares to touch on it is how to help my cat adjust, whos 12 yrs old and never lived with a dog.

Shes inside only, had been nose to nose with neighboring dogs ( maltese mix, ESS rescue, as well as sniffed Maui once when he was sound asleep, no hissing...
The other dogs were older, and Maui was snoring LOL She hasnt had much contact with him, as they dont come up often, and when they do my niece comes up. Missy hides during most of their visits even without Maui...

Sorry for wordyness but hope someone will post suggestions to one both or all..
Cheryl aka Purrson
I loved dogs first, shhhhhhh dont tell Missy that !!!
Purrson @Petchatters MSN

Return to Behavior Dog Barking