Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Why do dogs howl : Behavior Dog Barking
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Why do dogs howl

Your dog barks in vain or you would like to train it to bark when it should. What makes a dog bark? Why do they bark on command or at a tree?

Why do dogs howl

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Does anyone have any opinion on to as why do dog howl? I wonder about this every time my husky howls at night.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

From Luba

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:47 pm

Dogs that are left alone for long periods howl because they are lonely. The purpose of the howl in the wild, is to gather the pack so that they can face impending danger together. The group howl is also a type of bonding experience.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

From Ruth

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi, I have a 12 year old Lhapso Apso, he usually just howls a few times when the fire trucks come by...however now he he has howled 3 times a few nights ago, he did this "strange behaivor" a few months ago..I thought he was dying! He seems to be fine..do dogs have nightmares? Because our family dog is NEVER alone for more than a few hours and his not the type to play with toys...I would welcome any feedback. Thanks, Ruth
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

From Luba

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:48 pm

Wolves howl to locate other pack members over long distances. Domestic dogs have kept this behavior. I t can sometimes (and it is your case) be initiated by such things as polica sirens. Are you sure your dog does not hear sirens in the distances that may you don't hear? Howling is just a audio cue or boday language for dogs. How to stop it? I think you need to give your dog a sense of security. He is looking for a leader... you are that leader.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Re: Howling

Postby Selma » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:57 am

Old Forum Recovery wrote:Dogs that are left alone for long periods howl because they are lonely. The purpose of the howl in the wild, is to gather the pack so that they can face impending danger together. The group howl is also a type of bonding experience.

My mixed breed (unknown) dog has just howled for the third time (very infrequently) in the middle of the night when she was asleep. It was a very scary blood-curdling howl with some pitch changes lasting a few second.
What could that be about?
Selma

howling

Postby anita jones » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:32 pm

we have a bassett hound that will howl when he is hungry
anita jones
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby Celna » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:59 am

my dog howls every time he hears a siren, it's kind of annoying because we live in small neigborhood and he usually howls at dawn or early morning before 6am. his howls are pretty intense, i understand the whole wolf ancestry roots all dogs have the cause and reason for them howling. i was just curious does the siren trigger them to howl because it resembles the 'other' wolves howling? the other wierd thing too is my dog howls before he hears a siren. there is this myth that dogs could see things we don't. do you guys know of any such things?
Celna

Re: Howling

Postby KP » Tue May 02, 2006 7:46 am

Selma wrote:
Old Forum Recovery wrote:Dogs that are left alone for long periods howl because they are lonely. The purpose of the howl in the wild, is to gather the pack so that they can face impending danger together. The group howl is also a type of bonding experience.

My mixed breed (unknown) dog has just howled for the third time (very infrequently) in the middle of the night when she was asleep. It was a very scary blood-curdling howl with some pitch changes lasting a few second.
What could that be about?

I have 2 xbreeds, 1 of which has howled in the early hours of the morning, twice in the last few days. I think she may be dreaming, but they sleep together so I do't think they are lonely, and they haven't been left alone in the house for a long time. I must admit it's unsettling, since 1 is 13 years old my mind started working overtime and I didn't know what to expect when I went downstairs.
KP

dogs howling

Postby Julia » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:55 pm

I can actually induce howling in my border collie. if i use the back of my through to produce a high pitched noise (and begin to mimic the start of the howl buld up) he joins in. Its almost as though he is empathising with another pack member in distress. He looks as though he is sympathetic and feeling my pain. Don't worry I don't do this all the time. Its just so intreguing! My dogs response seems to indicate that its more than just noise....he looks at me with worry.

Julia
Julia

Postby uptowndogs » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Celna wrote:my dog howls every time he hears a siren, it's kind of annoying because we live in small neigborhood and he usually howls at dawn or early morning before 6am. his howls are pretty intense, i understand the whole wolf ancestry roots all dogs have the cause and reason for them howling. i was just curious does the siren trigger them to howl because it resembles the 'other' wolves howling? the other wierd thing too is my dog howls before he hears a siren. there is this myth that dogs could see things we don't. do you guys know of any such things?

Your dog likely does hear the siren before your human ears do. Dogs also hear higher pitched noises that are at such a pitch that a human ear will not hear it, but a dogs ear can. I'm not sure why the siren triggers it, and oddly not all dogs respond by howling along. It could possibly be a reaction to the sensitivity of their ears. I'm sure the siren sound makes them uncomfortable. My dog hears sirens and doesn't howl but will always shake her head, as if the noise has tickled the inside of her ear.
uptowndogs
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby 99Balloons » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:36 pm

Some information on howling and dog communication:

http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/dog_communication_.htm
99Balloons
Health Dog Training Questionner

Postby bradfran » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:03 pm

Hey 99balloons, is it possible to move those first 4 posts, all by same poster, into one post? To dogtrainingbytrainer...in the future could you just make it one post? If the other 3 were after thoughts, use the edit button on your first post ok?
bradfran
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to Behavior Dog Barking