Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
How do I introduce my dog to new people? : Dog Aggression
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

How do I introduce my dog to new people?

Dogs are sometimes aggressive towards other dogs, cats or humans. An agression behavior often is based on the dog VS master treatment and relationship.

How do I introduce my dog to new people?

Postby Fido1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Everytime my dog meets new people he growls at them and tries to bite them when they pet him. My family is coming over in a couple of days and they will stay here for a long while. My dog hasn't met them before, and that's why i am afraid that he will bite them.
He is also very aggressive to the vet, what should i do about that? He tries to bite her and he is really aggressive.
My dog is a Welsh Corgi Pembroke and he is 6 years old.

How do I introduce my dog to new people, so he won't bite them?
Fido1
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Fido1 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:49 pm

I have heard that i have to exercise the dog before meeting anybody, so that he doesn't have that much energy. And that he must be oudoors. Then the new people have to ignore him, and let the dog come to them instead. Then the new person has to get down to the dog's level and pet him UNDER his chin or on the shoulders... not OVER him.
Is this right?
Fido1
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Fido1 and welcome to SeeFido!

Today seems to be the day for difficult corgis! That should tell people a bit about this breed. They can be very dominant and are a bit of a difficult breed. People see a small dog and not a big dog in a small dog's body which is what they really are. They are a cattle herding dog and that takes a great deal of tenacity and courage so they are a dog that requires training and a great deal of socialization.

Have you had him to socialization or training classes? If not, you need to get him signed up sooner rather than later. Also read up on NILIF on our site and put all of it into practice.

You need to learn how to read his body language. If he gets a bit stiff when new people are around, tell them to ignore him and do NOT make eye contact with him. That is aggression in the dog world and he will react with aggression in return. Just talk to a person and tell them you are training him as he has some socialization issues and if he is food oriented, offer them one or two of his treats and ask for their help. For my dogs, I use the term 'new friend' and ask the person to come down to their level IF they are comfortable. If not, that's ok. Ask them to toss him a treat and talk in a friendly voice to him. Not a high squeaky voice or a loud harsh voice. If he starts to growl, pull him back and correct him. As long as he is growling, do not let others handle him. If he snaps, correct and end the session.

A couple questions for you. Where did you get him? At what age? Your vet knows of his aggression issues and has not offered any suggestions? You may need to consult with a vet/behaviorist as you may have a training problem OR you may have a genetic issue. What type of collar and leash are you using?

As your family is going to be staying with you for some time, you need to lay some ground rules. If you are not there, your dog must remain crated. No exceptions. When you are home, keep him leashed to you. Talk to the vet about some mild tranquilizer to help for this time period. Has he always been this way or is this something new? If new, you may be looking at a brain problem, if he has always been this way, it may be genetic or training. However, do not allow him free roam as long as your family is there.

You are correct about introducing. Do not let people lean over him and if he will allow it, people should offer the back of their hand to sniff and if he is okay with that, start a gentle scratching under the chin and the move up alongside the head and the around the ears and then try for the top of the head and back of the neck. He may be okay with it, he may not. If there are any children coming, impress upon them the importance of leaving the dog alone unless you are right there to supervise. Small kids tend to put their faces in a dog's face and that can easily lead to a bite in this circumstance.
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby zeke » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:58 am

I'm not sure how well this will work with a dog that tries to bite, but my dog liked to bark at new people when they came into our house. He never barks or even pays people mind on the streets but in the house he liked to bark till we thought he was going to bark himself hoarse. It was a different kind of barking then when he gets excited to go on a walk, this was some serious watchdog type barking.

Anyway, I had some people coming over for thanksgiving dinner last year. I met my friends outside when they came over and gave them treats. As soon as they got inside they kinda turned to the side, holding the treat in the palm of their open hand on the side facing the dog (just think non-threatening). I had to stand with him and get him to relax a little the first few times but it didn't take long before he stopped barking and got excited when more people started showing up.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate in your case though, my dog didn't growl or bite, just barked like there was no tomorrow. Still, maybe giving your family a stockpile before they meet your dog (or asking them to come armed with his favorite treats) couldn't hurt. Maybe they could start by tossing them as meezermom suggested and then slowly getting your dog to take them out of their hand before trying to do the sniff and pet thing.
zeke
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Fido1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 am

I got him 2 years ago, at age 5.
The vet is too scared to do anything because he gets so vicious. She puts a muzzle on him so he doesn't bite, and then she just gives him the nessecary shots without finishing the checkup.
I use a normal collar and a 1.5 m leather leash when i visit the vet.
Fido1
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:17 pm

First, find a new vet! If the vet is this afraid, she is ineffectual and not able to give your dog good medical care. There is more than just giving him shots! It is perfectly acceptable to put a muzzle on him but she should be able to deal with him after that! Tell any new vet that there are aggression issues though so they are prepared. My guess he was always aggressive and this is why you got him. He was badly socialized or not at all.

Use either a pinch collar or a Halti collar on him. He needs to know he is not controlling things. A Halti or head collar will also help in that it will control his mouth some. Do not hesitate to look into a basket muzzle either. The last thing you want is him biting someone.

I am going to suggest you get a behaviorist/trainer involved with him. If he is truly vicious, you may have a real problem and need to see if he can be rehabilitated or not.
meezermom

Postby Fido1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Ok. Thank you so very much!
Fido1
Dog Loving Active Member

Re: How do I introduce my dog to new people?

Postby kajfezmartina » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:55 am

Hello Everyone,

He usually gets very anxious around other animals, he howls at them and plain out goes bezerk. Thing is, I'll be moving soon, and at the new place he will be left alone most of the time. He doesn't like to be left alone. So I was thinking that maybe another dog would be good company.
He doesn't hate every dog out there, he has had more normal encounters with some, even male dogs, but with others it has been awful, and i mean AWFUL. It takes him a long time to calm down even after removing him from the situation.
Does anyone know of some specific breed that is more compatible with beagles? Any insight at how i should introduce them? Best age/sex for the other pup to be?
I would like to get another dog that is not a beagle, but i would like them to get along so they can play together and not resent so much when I'm not there.
Thanks!
kajfezmartina
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby jesscot09 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 am

Hi,

These types of dogs are require proper training and a great deal of social behavior because these

have very dominant nature . So you need to enroll him in social behavior & training classes.
jesscot09
NewBorn Puppy Member

Postby meezermom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Martina, please accept my apologies for not catching your problem and getting back to you!! Can I plead insanity?? :badgrin: Normally beagles are real easy going dogs... Your little guy simply may be getting over excited because he is bored and not getting enough exercise. Beagles don't usually make good apartment dogs...They can be pretty high energy....especially if they come from field (hunting) lines. If you do decide to bring a friend in for him, you may want to consider a beagle mix, a Jack Russel mix and you definitely want to get a female. This will help reduce any issues between the two....You will also want to take him along to help select his new friend. It is most important they get along....You also need to get him into training classes so you have better control over him. Don't expect miracles though! If he is from field lines, those beagles can be stubborn to a fault and difficult to train at times. You also want to bring him up to speed with NILIF..........Nothing In Life Is Free. He needs to know he is not boss, you are... so read it and put it all into effect. He needs the stability of knowing exactly what is expected of him. Do let us know how things work out!
meezermom

Postby denisjhon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:14 am

Bringing a new dog into a home is always an exciting time. It's like adding a new family member or guest to the household. While much has been written on bringing puppies into the home - very little has been written about bringing new adult dogs into the home. This article should help you make some decisions that will ease the transition.

Pet owners often underestimate the kinds of problems that can occur if mistakes are made.

This can be a difficult if not dangerous situation if it's not handled correctly. You only need to go to Q&A section on my web site and read the hundreds of emails I have on dog fights.

Many people think they can just bring a new dog home and let the dogs work things out themselves. For the lucky ones this works out OK, but more often than not people find themselves in the middle of a dog fight and wonder what went wrong.

Dogs are pack animals and humans are primates. These two groups interact differently.

The average pet owner does not have a clue about how strong the genetic pack instinct is that floats just under the fur of their lovable family pet. The addition of a second or third dog into the home often triggers a genetic pack drive or RANK DRIVE. Many people are shocked and confused when they see the level of aggression that their sweet family dog is capable of.

There is usually more than one thing going on that result in these problems. To name just a few: a house dog is often territorial; there can be rank or dominance problem between the new dogs; or there can be inter-male or inter-female issues that result in aggression.

Yesterday, I had a lady write me who has a serious problem. She owned 30 house dogs. People like her are called "dog collectors." She takes in strays and if you can believe it, she keeps the majority of them in her home.

The woman realized that she has an obsessive compulsive disorder.

As obvious as it is, this lady has created a huge dog pack and has witnessed some really awesome dog fights. The fact is the genetic instincts that control her 30 dog pack are the exact same instincts that start to flow in a home which only has 3 dogs.
denisjhon
Dog Loving Active Member

Return to Dog Aggression