Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
My dog killed neighborhood cat(s) : Dog Aggression
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

My dog killed neighborhood cat(s)

Dogs are sometimes aggressive towards other dogs, cats or humans. An agression behavior often is based on the dog VS master treatment and relationship.

My dog killed neighborhood cat(s)

Postby brodhay » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:33 pm

My sweet 6 year old german shepherd mix got loose and killed a neighborhood cat. My husband was there and witnessed the event. A few months ago our babysitter let our dog get out. When we returned, our dog was in our neighbors yard and there was a dead cat in our side yard. Since we couldn't imagine our loving family dog would kill a cat, we didn't think she was responsible until this past weekend's episode. Our dog is wonderful with our two little boys and we are continually told by people what a sweet dog she is. We certainly don't want another cat to suffer and we can't be sure that she won't get out again because she is very quick and it happens every now and then. Do we have to put her down? Or is there something we can do?
brodhay

Postby uptowndogs » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:47 pm

No, I don't think she needs to be put down, many dogs have killed cats, it doesn't mean they are aggressive, only that they are dogs. I have to disagree with your statement "we can't be sure that she won't get out again because she is very quick and it happens every now and then." You absolutely can be sure it doesn't happen again. If she darts the door everytime it opens teach her that she is to sit and stay when the door is opened, or crate her. She should never be left outside unattended, and if there isn't a fenced yard she should never be out off leash. You can and should have complete control over your dog at all times, if for some reason you do not, this is a problem that needs to be addressed and fixed by you. I don't say this because she killed a cat, I say this because she is a dog and no dog owner should ever loose control of their dog, it's not safe for the dog.
uptowndogs
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby HMZ » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:26 pm

Good post, uptowndogs.

Brodhay, your dog is just cat aggressive. It's not really so unusual. You could train it not to be cat aggressive but the easier fix is the one suggested by uptowndogs. BTW, in some places, you will get into real trouble if your dog ends up on another person's property. Some places they can shoot your dog if it is harassing their pets! So it is really worth it to train your dog not to run out when the door is opened.

I know it is devastating to realize your sweet, gentle dog is capable of killing cats but they are animals! They have their instincts and that is just how it is.

Off topic, and the cat people will probably disagree with me, but I think cats are better off being indoors. There are just too many things that can happen to cats outside as they are most definitely not willing to stay in their own yard (and even then things can happen). I always had indoor cats because I think it is safer and healthier for them. The one time my cat escaped, she was gone for a week or two and then found her way back. She had scratches and had lost a ton of weight. And then it turned out she had contracted feline HIV. She ended up dying. It was really sad.
HMZ
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby animalfreak7 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:16 pm

I agree. CATS SHOULD STAY INSIDE.
animalfreak7
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby kimc » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:23 pm

And not only inside, but all neutered and spayed. Females go into heat what 20 times a year??? no it is more like 5-7 times. and as soon as the kittens are weaned they can mate again and again and again. But as far as the dog cat situation. It is true a cat is seen by the dog as an enemy best taken care of. (Though, I know a cat can be very vicious as well)
kimc
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby suebgone » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:40 am

Absolutely NO cat should be outside. Oh & kim not to bust your bubble but they can get pregnant while they are nursing. :shock: Matter of fact there was a study done in England that showed that is why male cats will kill the babies - to make the Queen go right back into heat.

brodhey - in many areas you would be eligible to have dangerous dog charges brought against you for this event.

I also agree that any future episodes CAN be avoided with a better control program. NO kids leaving the dog out. In her crate when the babysitter is there etc. The dog should never be outside or with the kids unsupervised, ever.
suebgone

Postby kimc » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 am

didn't know cats could become pregnant while nursing. I just know they go in heat immediately after and will continue until once again they are pregnant. See you learn all kinds of things in this forum.
kimc

Postby HMZ » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:13 am

My dog (who is very cat aggressive) was attacked by a cat. I couldn't believe it. We were walking down the street -- all three dogs were on leash and this cat showed up on the sidewalk and started making all of those cat-on-the-warpath noises. Then the cat leapt up on my cat aggressive dog's nose. Ironically, the other two didn't really care about cats. Needless to say, the dog returned with more force. We got the suicidal cat off eventually and it ran away.
HMZ
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to Dog Aggression