Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Putting my best friend down. : Dog Euthanasia - Putting a friend to Sleep. Pet Loss Support.
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Putting my best friend down.

The ultimate act of bravery... You & your veterinarian agree that it's best to put your dog to sleep... Get Moral Support for your loss, share views and feelings.

Putting my best friend down.

Postby TRANSY DOG » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:34 pm

I had to put my best friend (my dog) down a few hours ago. See, my dog was diagnosed with bone cancer almost one year ago...so we made the most of the past 11 and half months. I'll remember the long walks...the car rides...and the GENTLENESS of this Giant. She was a GREAT PYRENEES
and was almost 13 years old. She had been able to function up until
this morning, but today she was unable to rise and was in apparent
pain. I am weeping as I write this because I cannot get (out of my mind) that
last HUG before she went to sleep.
Is there any relief from this grief????
TRANSY DOG

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:56 pm

Accepting the fact that you need to put your dog down is tough, and once you go through with it you’ll always ask yourself if you made the right choice; in your case I have to agree it was for her own good, she would have only suffered longer if you would have kept her.

After so many years of love and devotion which you received from her its only normal for you to feel this way.

Putting My Best Friend Down.

Postby Transydog » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:36 pm

Thank you so much for your response. Even though my heart is aching
today, I know it was the right thing to do. I cared for her as long as
she could function, but when her "other good leg" faltered yesterday
morning....I realized I could no longer care for such a large dog (100 lbs.)

Replies, such as yours, really help...thank you again.
Transydog

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:37 am

Transydog ... it's hard to fill the void when they're gone. But we have the memories and we know that we made them so very happy throughout their lives. The pain does subside a little ... but it takes a long time. It's taking a long time for me. It's been over two years now and I still miss him almost every day. Try and focus on all the great memories and know that you have given her the gift of an after-life without pain. I like to believe that. A friend told me that my guy is chasing butterflies in fields of yellow flowers and I like to believe that. I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Putting My Best Friend Down

Postby TRANSYDOG » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Thank you for those kind words. I particularly like the "thought" of
your pet running through fields of yellow flowers."
I take comfort in knowing my beloved Pyrennes is no longer in that
devastating pain from cancer.
I know it will take time to ease my pain of losing her, but I am sustained
by remembering the wonderful times we had together.
Thanks again.
TRANSYDOG

Putting your friend to sleep

Postby Bear Foots » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:24 am

hometown.aol.com/bearfootfarmnc/page3.html
This is where I think they go
Sorry for your loss
Bear Foots

Double Loss

Postby theboys » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Mar 14, 2006 we had to put our 8 yr old rott "Kodi" to sleep after treating him for a week and a half for what we thought was a sever ear infection. That final weekend he was unable to stand, and our vet referred us to another clinic for more extensive tests. The test results showed he had a tumor in his spine, most likely cancer and no chance of being able to get up again.

Then on Mar 18th, I noticed my 9 yr old rott "Rocky" coughing once in a while - it sounded like he was a bit conjested. Not wanted to take any chances, I called my vet. Since Rocky was diabetic and on insulin two times a day, my vet told me to bring him in. She took an xray of his chest and saw that he had fluid build up around his heart. The follow day we took him for an Ultra Sound and it showed his heart was only working at half of what it should be. After discussing our options with our vet, we decided to treat him with medication.

On April 6th, it was clear to us that it was time, he went down hill so fast that day. The pain of losing one dog is bad enough, but to lose both with-in a 3 week period - just doesn't seem fair.
theboys

Postby HMZ » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:56 pm

That is really sad and I am sure it is hard for you. If the dog psychic is right, though, your two dogs are hanging out in heaven, having a good time together.
HMZ
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby theboys » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Thank you, yes it is. The strong bond we form with these wonderful creatures, I wouldn't give up one minute of the time we shared our lives together. We buried Kodi under his favorite tree on our property and Rocky was put next to him.
We could not have done this had it not been for the kindness of some guys working on a bridge on our road. Both times they drove their backhoe up to our home to dig each grave for us, and neither time would they accept any payment.
theboys

putting ou best friend down

Postby copperdog » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:03 pm

Yesterday we had to put our best friend down, He was 10 1/2 year old sheppard/lab. I am struggling with so much grief. I know we did the right thing, but it hurts so much! I keep going over was there anything we could of done. The vet said "Well, its up to you how much you want to put him through". If you decide to put him down, your doing it for him.

He wasn't eating for almost 2 weeks and throwing up all the time. The vet said he may have a tumor in his stomach. He also had hip displasia. Which also was getting very bad. Was very depressed. Its so painful. My Husband and son stayed with him, I could not. I feel so sad that he is gone. My sister has a flicker site with pictures of him. its called Copper dog, if you google it you will see him. He was usually 57 kg he was yesterday 42kg.

All I have to say is I'm sorry copper! Love Diane
copperdog

Postby HMZ » Mon May 01, 2006 4:38 am

Obviously you loved your dog very much. It is hard to put a dog to sleep and hard to see your beloved dog suffer. I know with my dog I just didn't feel good about doing either. The only thing that helps me (I just put my dog to sleep on Friday afternoon) is remembering that I rescued my dog to help her have a better life. When she could no longer move around or do any of the things she liked to do, and when she was suffering horrible pain, it was my responsibility to end that suffering and she was counting on me to do that for her.

Memories of my sweet dog come to me every day which make me wish so much that she was still here to run around at the beach with me or chase squirrels. But I also know that it was her time. I hope so much that she is playing with the other dogs, running through the fields chasing squirrels and swimming in the ponds wherever she is. I sure do miss her.
HMZ
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

putting your best friend down

Postby copperdog » Mon May 01, 2006 7:06 pm

Thank you for commenting, it helps. To know what others are also going through. Today has not been a good day for me. I still feel we should of waited, but again it was for him. I know in time the pain will ease.

I think I'm in shock. Our children are doing so well with it. My husband and I are a mess. We did truly love him as our other 2 children. Thats what makes it so hard. So loyal,so obedient. I could never of had a better companion, then COPPER!

Best reguards with your own loss. Diane
copperdog

Postby copperdog » Tue May 02, 2006 5:10 pm

Hello again,
I keep coming back to re read your kind words. Yes, he counted on us to help him. I guess as I had read somewhere else this was the greatest act of love. Even though I don't feel that at the moment. I keep looking at his pictures, cleaning up the house. Finding his fur. We have a full bag of his food, we're going to donate it the the humain society. My sister is going to take his bed for her cats. I feel such LOSS!. In ways I don't want to feel ok, in my mind it then made it okay. In stead of only thinking of his great moments, I drift to he was not well. And we did wants best for him.

Sorry I keep ranting, but it gets my thoughts out. Thanks to all! Diane
copperdog

Postby suebgone » Wed May 03, 2006 3:26 am

It is the last kind thing you can do for your pet.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby theboys » Wed May 03, 2006 2:58 pm

I agree, Euthanasia is the best way we can end the suffering of our loving companions. After we put Kodi to sleep I got on line and read all I could about this procedure, for my own peace of mind I had to know that we didn’t cause him anymore suffering. In his case he wasn’t close to death, so it made it that much harder to put him to sleep. I have always watched my dogs very closely for signs of any problems but Kodi did not let on that anything was wrong. It breaks my heart to know that he had to been in pain with the progression of cancer and we didn’t know. That last weekend we had with him, my husband and I took turns staying on the floor next to him, Kodi didn’t want us to be out of his sight at all. It’s hard to imagine what it did to him not being able to get up. I only know that it would have been inhumane to not put him to sleep once we knew for sure that there was no treatment to help him.

With Rocky, I had hoped he would just go quietly to sleep at home. His last day, he went down hill so quickly, we couldn’t risk him suffering a painful death. As much as we hurt, it was with great love and respect that we ended the suffering.

It helps to be able to express our sorrow to others that understand what we are going through.
theboys

Next

Return to Dog Euthanasia - Putting a friend to Sleep. Pet Loss Support.