Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Soup Bones : Dog Nutrition & Feeding
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Soup Bones

Feed you dog correctly and it will grow and live will. You get out what you put in. Share some dog dieting tips here.

Soup Bones

Postby Japhy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:22 pm

I recently picked up two soup bones from the butcher and I'm not sure how to give them to our dog Rufus. I boiled the first one for about 10 minutes and gave it to him and he loved it. The next day I boiled it for a long time and got what remaining marrow there was and scraped off the meat on the outside so it was a nice clean bone. He likes that too and chews on that.

My question is it really necessary for me to have boiled it a second time? Will the remaining meat be bad if he doesn't clean it all out in a certain time? What is that time frame? Also if I just defrost the remaining bone, I can just give it to him raw, correct?

I listened to a podcast all about raw meat feeding last week and I thought the very least I can do is to give him bones. I already will cook up chop meat on occasion but I'm not sure I'm ready to go the raw route yet. She was very convincing and said that raw meat dogs often never need pesticides like frontline, never smell bad, and generally will outlive kibble fed dogs. Don't know just how true all that is, but it was interesting nevertheless.
Japhy
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby Littleflower » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:15 am

I've fed my dogs beef knee bones for years, and I only just started boiling them because my butcher suggested i do so lol... they would be pre frozen, and i would defrost them in cold water..as for th leftovers inside ect, I'm not really sure as my dog eats them in a half hour completely, but you could try looking for smaller bones when your picking them so tht your dog could finish them maybe?
As for dogs being fed raw living longer ect, I think that any animal fed a diet closer to its natural diet would probly be better off, I mean think about what a dog would really be eating if they were wild lol...it sure aint kibble lol..it just seems to make perfect sense to me, its just that feeding raw is a bit harder to do, I wish I could loll...
Littleflower

Postby imetal » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:18 am

i usually just buy Primal beef marrow bones from the freezer at the feed store. 6pk is about $8. If I go to the butcher he charges about $2 each for his bones but he told me to buy my bones from the feed store (Primal). I asked him why and he would not answer me :roll: i seriously was getting mad and he refused to give me an answer, just said "Just buy the bones by Primal". bah

anyone??????? what is there something off about the bones he gets? so now i just buy them at the feed store... :lol:
imetal
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby suebgone » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:03 am

I always used the big shin bone & gave them raw. he loved them - never ate them tho, he just gnawed them dry.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby meezermom » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:07 pm

You can do raw feeding as long as you have access to the ingredients! The biggest problem usually is the meat. We got ours from a poulterer but after a point, he stopped selling it thawed. Trust me, you do NOT want a 40 pound chunk of frozen chicken necks or backs floating in your bathtub for a couple of days! The smell is one thing, the sight is another, and the dogs tearing at the door is a real problem!! There are a lot of raw food feeders here and we begged and pleaded but he wouldn't budge......so most of us lost out. Yes, the girls did seem to do better on it......and it was really nice not having to clean up the backyard! Their stools are very small and pretty much degrade rapidly, a couple of days and they were white and crumbled up. The girls did have a good oder to them too...But we did have to have a separate freezer for their food. The price is comparable to a good brand of kibble but not the best! It does take time and you do learn how to do it fast....certain items are needed to do this.....a good food processor or food grinder is important.
The one thing they really really enjoyed was Sunday mornings as that was when they got oxtails........those are very tasty according to the girls. They would get about 3/4 of a pound or so in each dish and they got their dishes outside on the patio as they can get messy.....and they would eat them down to nothing. As GSD's have sensitive stomachs we would run into trouble often with Tasha but not the others....but they did love them. They would occasionally get other bones to chew....one time we did get them lamb bones from the freezer at the pet store and it darn near wiped them out....We had all sorts of problems so never did that again!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to Dog Nutrition & Feeding