Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Pitbull breeding - heat cycles : Dog Reproduction - Breeding and Pregnancy
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Pitbull breeding - heat cycles

Your dog is in heat or was with another dog... Reproduction is natural but we often need or want to control it. Let's discuss dog breeding here.

Pitbull breeding - heat cycles

Postby Babygirl13 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:48 pm

About Pitbull breeding: I have (2) females pitts that are about 6 months old. I have never had girl dogs before and the thought of thier first heat is terrifing me.
Can someone with the same breed give me some pointers and possibly indicate when a female pit begins (what age) their heat cycle?

Thanks so mucn :cry:
Babygirl13
Dog Loving Active Member

dogs

Postby suebgone » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 am

Get them both spayed right away. They can go into heat at any time & if they do, they are at 50% higher risk for cancer. There is nothing any different with pits than most other dogs going into heat. The first one comes anytime after 5 - 6 months. Small dogs are usually later.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Thanks

Postby Babygirl13 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:59 pm

Why would I want to get them sprayed. They are for breeding. I am just nervuos and wanted some information to confirm what I had already been told. I have been a responsible dog owner since I was 8 and now am 36. Thanks for the information
Babygirl13
Dog Loving Active Member

dog

Postby suebgone » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:35 am

I can't imagine anyone breeding pits considering that many homeowners insurance policies don't allow them, many municipalities have bsl against them, shelters are killing them by the thousands daily, pit rescues are overwhelmed with them! Unless of course you are breeding them to fight.
suebgone

Postby Babygirl13 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:08 pm

I would never allow dog fighting in my presence or knowledge and my dogs are very well taken care of. They have a great yard, lots of toys, blankies to lay on.

You might want to do some research into the breed. They make great companions and wonderful family pets.

There will always be people who miss treat animals, they need to get talked too.
Babygirl13
Dog Loving Active Member

Dog Breeding

Postby jhtemann » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:23 pm

I am a responsable dog breeder also, I have plenty of room for my 2 pits. That is the pleasure of living in the country. Breed Specific Laws punish the dog for what the owner has done! These dogs are hyper at best if they are not inbred or hurt and abused. People that fight dogs for money should be punished and they breed these dogs to fight. If these dogs are kept out of any line breeding then they are far less agressive towards people and other dogs. As with construction work there accidents and mishaps, but that does not negate killing off a breed of dog that is register complyable! So keep breeding your Rat Terriers and Poodles, we'll breed our Pitts. Thank you so much;
JtHeMaNn
jhtemann

Postby Tony » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:11 pm

When is it the best time to breed my female red nose pit bull. I dont think she had her first heat yet, and why shouldnt you breed them in their first heat
Tony

Your rednose

Postby Babygirl13 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Tony wrote:When is it the best time to breed my female red nose pit bull. I dont think she had her first heat yet, and why shouldnt you breed them in their first heat

Really it is up to you. I know people who breed their females on the first heat but I do not recommend it. Your female is still in her teenage years and may not be ready for motherhood. In my experi3ence in the past, female often produce more and healthy litters if the are not breed until 1-2 years old for the first time. Good luck.
Babygirl13
Dog Loving Active Member

dog

Postby suebgone » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:34 am

Obviously you are not a responsible anything or you would know that you never breed any bitch untill she is at least 2 years old. They have to be at least 2 to have the testing done that all responsible breeders do prior to breeding. Hip certs are never done before the age of two.
Responsible breeders only breed to improve the breed. They have show or working dogs that have earned titles & are fine examples of the breed. They have & understand a 5 generation pedigree & have researched the health & temperment of the lines they are breeding.
All of you should really just get your dogs spayed/neutered as the last thing the world needs is more pit bulls bred by irresponsible, uneducated, backyard breeders.
suebgone

Postby jadeandcapone@comcast.net » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:42 pm

why should you breed at 2. dogs get sexualy fustrated and can become very angry
jadeandcapone@comcast.net

Pits

Postby Franklin » Thu May 04, 2006 1:53 am

Hi, I have been a proud owner of pitbulls for years. I have never had any problems when it came to breeding my pits. I have mostly delt with red nose pits. It is up to you when you want to breed its just that some people recommend to breed at least a year old so she can mature a little more. Its just like us humans, when young teenagers have kids, they are not fully matured and some are not sure what do do with kids, same with dogs. I usually give my pits 12 months before I breed, and I have been breeding for several years now and not once had a problem. As for a few of the other post I read where people are talking down on pits, you can not blame it on them, it all is a result of the owners and breeders. A major part of having a mean and bad temper pit comes from the breeding, poor breeding results to this. Alot the abuse and poor care of the dogs also adds to this as well. If anyone wants to talk more please e-mail me for more information, also for pictures of my dogs. Thanks.
Franklin

Postby Guest » Thu May 04, 2006 11:54 pm

Sue b gone-- I'd give back yard breeders a chance seeing what the AKC and their approved breeders have gone the the german shepherd dog. Showing does nothing for a dog breed other than ruin it.

Postby foxyladyismybaby » Thu May 25, 2006 4:30 pm

i agree dogs should not be bred for just showing the only reson a preson should get a dog is love and nurture it not to put it up on a pedistal and say hey look my dog is better lookin than urs please :roll:
foxyladyismybaby

Postby suebgone » Fri May 26, 2006 7:24 pm

It is interesting that you all only care about the ones that you have, could, might, will breed but have no consideration for the thousands a day that are killed in shelters all over the country.

How do you develope a standard for your dogs? How do you determine what they should look like, or weigh?

So then Franklin apparently you do no testing or certifying? Why am I not surprised.

AKC does not have "approved breeders". You have really missed the point with that statement. AKC is simply a registery - period. Lots of dogs that come from puppy mills are AKC registered. AKC is NOT the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

Baby I don't believe I said anything about the breed itself, what I DID say was since it is very difficult to find good, responsible homes for them BECAUSE of the insurance companies & the BSL laws why breed more of them. No we aren't going to run out of them any time soon. Or don't you all care about the kind of homes you put them into?
suebgone

Postby Bella Clan » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:13 pm

Just Me two cents.

I am a breeder who dedicates a large part of my life, YES MY LIFE to breeding my chosen breed. (border collies). I spend thousands making sure that my stock is geneticaly clear of inherited diseases and I pay thousands for dogs that are impecable speciments of the breed to add to my lines. I spend even more time and money to show them not just conformation to prove that they are built correctly and are to standard, but in obedience to prove that they have brain, in agility to prove that they have stamina and of course the occasional herding to prove that they can look good and still herd.

No matter what breed it is a good reputable breeder will do all these things to prove that there dog is worth breeding. When the pups are sold I'm very lucky if my books balance and i ushually gat a good price for my well bred pups. It cost a lot more then you make if you are breeding with the right idea in mind.

The above novice breeder should not be breeding. Im sorry i feel very strongly about this. Leave the breeding to the people that are knowledge able and have traveld half way acroos the world to gain as much knowledge as they could befor they bred. Unless you are willing to do this, CALL YOUR VET FOR AN APPOINTMENT TO GET YOUR DOG FIXED.

Before being bred you need to research your dogs pedigree. I ushually go about 6 generations back and call everyone to find out the temperments of these dogs and there faults strang points, health etc. Most of these calls are to New Zealand, England, Italy and mostly Austrailia!

Then I health test the dog for the things that tend to effect my breed about $1200

Then I pick a few studs that I like that are correct and research their pedigrees also to be sure that they are good matches. The should have been health tested as well. Stud fee for a good stud is about $1000 +. Plus you may have to ship your bitch there or artificial inseminate which is about $1000.

Then I have to pay for vet, gas, vaccination for pups, microchip, high quality bitch food and puppy food. The emergency case of c-section may pop up and their goed another thousand.

Pups go on contracts and I keep track of them for the rest of their lives(14 years). I guarantee their health and temperment for life.

It deeply hurts me when i see back yard breeders breeding their good pet border collies. They don't know what they are doing they breed bad looking dogs they are not on contracts and they never keep track of the pups for the next 14 years. They dont know breed standards so think that their pups are cute and pretty but they are RUINING THE BREED and what we have bred for. They don't know genetics and don't know what should be bred to what to make and Ideal pup to breed standard.

So many people just dont care. They say I know where the pups are going "good homes only" they don't really keep track of wheer the pups are 5 years later and if the dogs gets sick are you prepered to pay the owner money to help pay for their vet bills? and to replace their beloved familiy pet. Are you knowledgeable about the breed standard, showing your dogs, welping procedulres, can you fault a pup. You you know what is carried in your lines and what is not (health built colour etc.)

DO YOU????

IF NOT THEN GET YOUR DOGS FIXED!!!!!

Laura

BELLA CLAN BORDER COLLIES
www.geocities.com/bellaclan_bcs

As for you saying that showing in conformation ruins the breed well then don't show in conformation!!!! Do agility or obedience, pulling with pitts is popular and tracking etc. Just make sure you at least have a correct build.
Bella Clan
Dog Loving Active Member

Next

Return to Dog Reproduction - Breeding and Pregnancy