Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
when is a bitch too old to have puppies? : Dog Reproduction - Breeding and Pregnancy
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

when is a bitch too old to have puppies?

Your dog is in heat or was with another dog... Reproduction is natural but we often need or want to control it. Let's discuss dog breeding here.

when is a bitch too old to have puppies?

Postby Me_Le » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:12 pm

i have a 6 year old Pom and id like to know if shes too old to have pups. shes never had puppies before, and if i decide to go through with this i dont want my dog to be in any danger or anything.

any help would be apreciated n__n
Me_Le

Postby fila4me » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:21 pm

Please read this before you decide to do anything......
http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum:/dog-discussion- ... php?t=2966

And, thank you for inquiring beforehand!

My personal opinion she is too old to breed.
fila4me
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Stephanie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:16 pm

You should not be breeding until you have a reputable breeder as a mentor. Breeding can be a risky business and you very well could be risking your dog's life by choosing to do it.

More reading material for you before making this decision: http://www.wonderpuppy.net/breeding.htm

I strongly encourage you to read about responsible breeding. I particularly like this comment from a DVM:

It has come to our attention that you are considering breeding your dog. We are pet owners who are concerned about the overpopulation of our beloved animals. Please read the enclosed material regarding the plight of dogs and cats resulting from the millions of births each year.

If your dog is a "purebred", this is not a good reason to breed! Breeding should be left to the
professionals who are trying to better the breed. There are health tests that need to be run on
both the male and female. Also know that just because the pups are purebred, doesn't mean
they won't end up homeless. Approximately 25% of all animals entering shelters are purebred.

Please do not feel that we are judging you, we only want to inform you with the facts.

Sincerely,

The Dog House Friends

* AKC registration is NOT an indication of quality. Most dogs, even purebred, should not be bred. Many dogs, though wonderful pets, have defects of structure, personality or health that should not be perpetuated. Breeding animals should be proven free of these defects before starting on a reproductive career. Breeding should only be done with the goal of improvement—an honest attempt to create puppies better than their parents. Ignorance is no excuse—once you have created a life, you can’t take it back, even if blind, crippled or a canine psychopath!!
* Dog breeding is NOT a money-making proposition, if done correctly. Health care and shots, diagnosis of problems and proof of quality, extra food, facilities, stud fee, advertising, etc. are all costly and must be paid before the pups can be sold. An unexpected cesarean or emergency intensive care for a sick pup will make a break-even litter become a big liability. And this is IF you can sell the pups.
* First-time breeders have no reputation and no referrals to help them find buyers. Previous promises of "I want a dog just like yours" evaporate. Consider the time and expense of caring for pups that many not sell until four months, eight months or more! What would you do if your pups did not sell? Send them to the pound? Dump them in the desert? Sell them cheap to a dog broker who may resell them to labs or other unsavory buyers? Veteran breeders with a good reputation often don’t consider a breeding unless they have cash deposits in advance for an average-size litter.
* If you’re doing it for the children’s education, remember the whelping may be at 3am or at the vet’s on the surgery table. Even if the kids are present, they may get a chance to see the birth of a monster or a mummy, or watch the mother scream and bite you as you attempt to deliver a pup that is half out and too large. Some mothers are not natural mothers and either ignore or savage their whelps. Bitches can have severe delivery problems or even die in whelp--pups can be born dead or with gross deformities that require euthanasia. Of course there can be joy, but if you can’t deal with the possibility of tragedy, don’t start.
* It’s midnight –do you know where your puppies are? There are three and a half million unwanted dogs put to death in pounds in the country each year, with millions more dying homeless and unwanted through starvation, disease, autos, abuse, etc. Nearly a quarter of the victims of this unspeakable tragedy are purebred dogs, "with papers." The breeder who creates a life is responsible for that life. Will you carefully screen potential buyers? Or will you just take the money and not worry if the puppy is chained in a junkyard all of its life or runs in the street to be killed? Will you turn down a sale to irresponsible owners? Or will you say "yes" and not think about the puppy you held and loved now having a litter of mongrels every time she comes in heat, which fills the pounds with more statistics—your grand pups? Would you be prepared to take a grown puppy if the owners can no longer care for it? Or can you live with the thought that the baby you helped bring into the world will be destroyed at the pound.
* In six short years, one female dog and its offspring can be the source of 67,000 puppies.
* In just seven years, one female cat and its young can produce 420,000 cats!
* Every day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born in the U.S., as compared to 10,000 humans.
* Although numbers vary from different sources, somewhere between 12 to 15 million companion animals are euthanized each year in animal shelters across the nation, due to pet overpopulation. Please Spay & Neuter!
* Approximately 25% of all animals entering animal shelters are never reunited with their owners because they lack identification tags.
* Nearly 50% of dogs entering animal shelters are surrendered by their owners. Owning a pet is a life-long responsibility!
Stephanie
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Me_Le » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:08 am

well thanks for the info but im VERY awear of all his. i work at an animal shelter and i spend an awfull lot of time teaching people this ^^;; *shamed that i havent spayed my dog yet*

im very glad that theres people here who understand all this too. i must say i didnt rumage here for too long and before i decided to post and thought it was one of those places filled with increadibly ignorant breeders who think they're all saving the breed from extintion and back yard breeders are "missunderstood", its happened to me a few times :roll:

and im not really looking to breed her because i want to, but more because i need to. i dont plan on making her have more than just this litter. you see im my family is in a very tight spot, my father (the main provider of the family) has been in the hospital for a few months now and now theres quite a few bills to pay but no money to do so. then a long friend of the family who is madly in love with our pom offered to buy her for apretty large sum of money. we told her she wasnt for sale, so she offerd a pretty large sum of money for one of her pups (if she ever has one afcourse) she doesnt even care if theyre pure bred or not as long as its my poms pup. however no amount of money is worth putting my dogs life in danger so i need to know wether id be doing so if i do this...i mean i realize tha theres a certain amount of risk with ever pregnancy, but is it MORE risky?
Me_Le

Postby suebgone » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:40 am

Yes, she could be in danger from several aspects. Reputable breeders do not breed a bitch over 5 years of age.

What happens if your little dog needs a C - section? Many poms do - it could run you as much as $3,000 for the surgery, after care, puppy care etc. If you don't have the $$ for it your dog will die without the surgery & most vets won't touch them with no money.

I am amazed & sickened that you work at a shelter but are considering breeding you dog. There are other ways to get money for your dads care. Fundraisers, talk to the hospital patient co-ordinator etc. Please rethink this whole thing.

Tell your "friend" there is no guarantee that any puppies would have her looks or temperment/personality. It is always a crap shoot. What if she has puppies & he decides he doesn't want one?

Tell him to do the world a favor & go to a pom rescue or look in shelters & get your dog spayed
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Me_Le » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:27 am

suebgone wrote:Yes, she could be in danger from several aspects. Reputable breeders do not breed a bitch over 5 years of age.

What happens if your little dog needs a C - section? Many poms do - it could run you as much as $3,000 for the surgery, after care, puppy care etc. If you don't have the $$ for it your dog will die without the surgery & most vets won't touch them with no money.

I am amazed & sickened that you work at a shelter but are considering breeding you dog. There are other ways to get money for your dads care. Fundraisers, talk to the hospital patient co-ordinator etc. Please rethink this whole thing.

Tell your "friend" there is no guarantee that any puppies would have her looks or temperment/personality. It is always a crap shoot. What if she has puppies & he decides he doesn't want one?

Tell him to do the world a favor & go to a pom rescue or look in shelters & get your dog spayed

oh ive warned the woman about the dogs not being exacly like mine if anything at all and such but she "just wants to have a lil piece of her" -_-'' she doesnt even care if the pup is pure bred of not. any form of medical care my dog might need because of the pregnancy is going to be taken care of by the person who wants the pup. we've spoken about this with her. this person doesnt want another dog, we tried convincing her to adopt one back when she wanted my dog. and chances of her just deciding she doesnt want one anymore are slim to none, shes been offering to do this for almost 2 years and not so long ago she hicked up the price a bit (cos she knew we needed the money) and before that there was a year of begging me to sell her my dog.

and its not my fathers care that we need money for, thats taken care of by ensurence and such. but its everything else like electricity, water, rent were REALLY in debt, not just with the water and electrical companies and such but with a few friends that helped us pay the first few months of that.

i honestly would not be doing this if there was any other way of obtaining the money. we have thought about this thank you. and just in case you where wondering, i am keeping the rest of the pups (after all its my foult they're here in the first place so its only fit that i care for them.)

i just need to know if its possible to breed a dog at 6yrs old without endangering the life of the mom too much ^^;;
Me_Le

Postby Stephanie » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:53 am

My heart goes out to you for your situation. I know this will come across harsh, but it would feel to me like the same thing as selling my daughter because some guy wanted to sleep with her and I really needed the money. I think you should do the humane thing - sell the dog to the person that really wants her...on the condition that she be spayed right away. This way the dog can avoid the abuse of being used for her womb, and can be assured that she's in a house that can afford her.
Stephanie
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby suebgone » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:32 am

OMG I can't believe what I am reading. Sell you dog & expect these people to spay her? You are kidding I hope

Me - have you thought about how you are going to pay for all the care the mom needs while she is pregnant? How will you pay to have all the vaccines for the puppies? How will you get them neutered? If you keep them all they WILL breed to each other you know.

Have you asked for financial help through any of the charities locally? Church's Catholic Charites - things like that?

Here are some ideas for some easy fundraisers that take little or no start up $$ http://www.fundraising-ideas.org/DIY/index.html

Get the press involved - there is no shame in asking for help. It is far better than pimping your poor little dog.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Stephanie » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:39 am

I'm sure the dog's better off in a home where her owner is considering using her as a puppy mill. :roll: It's not hard to make sure the dog gets spayed....set up the appointment to have the dog spayed and the person that wants her to pay for it and that's the only way the dog would be given up (plus pay for buying the dog). There's no way I'd expect them to do it on their own.

I just can't imagine breeding my dog because somebody will pay me big bucks to do it...and is only taking in one of the puppies. Most likely this person will use that puppy to further breed.
Stephanie
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Re: when is a bitch too old to have puppies?

Postby bearlasmommy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:21 am

Me_Le wrote:i have a 6 year old Pom and id like to know if shes too old to have pups. shes never had puppies before, and if i decide to go through with this i dont want my dog to be in any danger or anything.

any help would be apreciated n__n

I think she is too old now and it would endanger her health alot. Poms and chis are delicate and should not be bred to old
bearlasmommy

Return to Dog Reproduction - Breeding and Pregnancy