Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
4-5 month old puppy. Loose stool and blood. : Dog Vomiting & Diarrhea
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

4-5 month old puppy. Loose stool and blood.

Driven by diet or illnesses, dog can react by vomiting or diarrhea. What is happening to your dog? Let's help each other!

4-5 month old puppy. Loose stool and blood.

Postby Altari » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Hello!

I just bought a puppy [spaniel] about two weeks ago. She's about 4.5 months old. We took her to the vet two days after we got her, and they ran a fecal test, which came back negative for anything. Her only problem from a mild ear infection, which we have topical antibiotics for.

Recently, two days now, she's had small amounts of bright pink blood in some of her stools. Her stools have also been very loose. She is fed once, sometimes twice a day.

Could this be anal bleeding, or something more serious? Would giving her rice w/ chicken broth help?

Thanks. :)
Altari
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby suebgone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:50 pm

first of all, you don't feed a puppy "once, sometimes two times a day"! Your puppy needs to be fed twice a day EVERY day & I would also suggest a late nite snack to help keep her glucose levels up during the nite.

What are you feeding her? Does it have any red pieces in it?

blood in the stool is never something to be ignored. Take a stool sample to your vet for analysis. It is possible to get a false negative if the fecal was done when there were no larva present.

Is she straining when she poops? Sometimes the anus becomes raw just from diarrhea.

Just for future reference - when a bland diet is needed it is never with chicken broth. It is boiled, rinsed hamburg or chicken. It is boiled & rinsed to eliminate any grease. By using broth you would be putting the "grease" back into it
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Altari » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:58 pm

Thanks for the tip on chicken broth. I didn't know that it introduced grease.

She isn't straining when she goes, from what I've seen when I take them out to play. She is kept in a small room instead of a crate at night, so she has some accidents then and I can't vouch for that.

I was able to get an appointment this afternoon, so we'll see what they say then.
Altari

Postby Altari » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:44 pm

It's gone from bad to worse. There's nothing but blood now and it's bright red. She doesn't seem to be acting strangely, but I'm very worried - about Wookie, about the money, about my kids, and about my other dog. 3:00 can't come fast enough.

Could it be a virus? What kind? Can my other dog get it? What about cats or humans?
Altari

Postby suebgone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 pm

it really sounds more like an internal injury rather than a virus. It it were parvo or some other virus she would be down & out & vomiting.

Have you been giving her rawhides? that would do it. Some kind of bones? Did she get into the trash & get something sharp?

If she had a severs infestation of hooks or whips that could do it but if they are that bad they should have shown up on the fecal.

Please let us know.
suebgone

Postby Altari » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:40 pm

I just got back from the vet. The bill was enough to make me vomit.

They ran another fecal, but nothing came back. The vet said that was common. He did a rectal, and found alot of bleeding. He found no signs of injury. He suggested that it was either a) parasites that hadn't shed their eggs, or b) some kind lower bowel infection. He gave her a deworming medication in the office and sent me home with an antibiotic and something to attack the parasites.

A few things came together. I had commented to my husband that Wookie eats more than any dog I have ever had, including my old rottweiler. Today, I found out that she's actually lost weight. Go figure.

He also did a blood test on my older dog, for any signs of infection or infestation. The results will come back tomorrow. In any case, we're going to have her spayed just to prevent any kind of uterine problems.

They're both on I/D Prescription Diet now for a week or two.

The only thing we gave her to chew on were those little cylinder boney things, and some bagged puppy chews. No raw hides.
Altari

Postby suebgone » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:52 pm

hmm something is just not right here. While she is on the antibiotics give her plain yogurt to help the good bacteria.

What kind of food were you feeding her? It is odd that she would be losing weight if she is eating that much. Unless it was a brand that is full of fillers.
suebgone

Postby Altari » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:02 am

The vet said that weight loss in spite of eating was a sign of parasites.

We've been feeding her Eukanuba small breed puppy food.
Altari

Postby meezermom » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:38 am

I would suggest strongly that you feed her a straight bland diet of boiled rice, boiled hamburger (1/3 meat to 2/3 rice) with some mashed canned sweet potato in it and some yogurt to keep the good bacteria in the good healthy. Something really does not sound right. No treats or anything else. You need to get her gut settled down fast. Oh yeah, dogs and vet bills can run pretty high. Have you talked to the breeder you got her from? If not, I suggest you contact them!
meezermom

Postby Altari » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:02 am

We bought her from a local pet store. The owner, described as an avid pet lover, is friends with my cousin, so we thought we were safe. I'm going to call her tomorrow and let her know what's going on. This dog, so far, has had an ear and eye infection (picked up the visit the day after we got her).

The conditions the dogs were in were less than optimal. Tiny cages, like you see cats in the pound in. She said it was only temporary, as she was remodeling the puppy section. I'm believed that less and less as this goes on. Her other dogs need to be checked, as I know mine was clean.

I had dropped them off at my parents house after I went to the vet (interview). When I picked them up, Wookie just puked. And puked, and puked again. Huge piles of flesh colored garbage with all the scraps she'd stolen off my kids' plates this morning as well as some funky colored chunks of...something. I started panicking, paged the vet, and he was very happy. He said it was a good sign that the deworming medication was working. He said the nasty chunks were the worms, and from the sounds of it, she had a nasty infestation. They want her back in in three or four weeks to give her another round of medication. Until then, I have two bottles sitting in front of me : metranidazole and albon.

The only problem with the boiled rice/meat is that over the next three days the only time I will be home is after 7. Other than that, it's just going to be my roommate or husband keeping an eye on them, and neither of them I can trust to go through the effort (but I can trust them to scoop food out of a bag and put in in their bowls). I'll try it when I'm home, though. I'm sure it works better.

The bill was $275. He just kept saying 'They need this and they need that' and then it was...so much...
Altari

Postby suebgone » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:05 am

the albon is an antibiotic used most often for coccidia which would show blood in the stool, altho it would not present as chunks in vomit. It is not a worm. I guess it could be used for something else. The metranidazole is for the stomach.

You are missing the point on the need for the rice & hmbg or chicken. You can make a quanity up & the husband can scoop that out for the puppy. It is not an option! It is not an if it suits everybody! This puppy is very sick & needs care. Puppies have died from parasites

To put her right back on dog food is going to be very detremental to her health.

Just for the record - all puppies from pet stores are from puppymills or byb's. Reputable breeders do not sell to pet stores. The person who owns this store could care less about the dogs. You can bet your puppy was probably sold & returned at least once- very possibley because it was sick. That is usually the reason a store would have a puppy that old!
suebgone

Postby Altari » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:31 am

It never ceases to amaze me. At the very front of this forum it says to consult your vet. And when my vet says to me 'You can make her rice and hamburger or you can feed her this food' why shouldn't I feed her the food?

Come to a forum for advice and support and get this abuse? Very nice. This was a mistake.
Altari

Postby Laika » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:05 pm

The hamburger is the best way in this situation, I am guessing that you do not want to spend the money-since feeding meat is more expensive then dog food.

I did not see any abuse what so ever, they are being firm, but not abusive.

Dogs from petstores are often in bad condition. My aunt purchased a cocker spaniel/poodle from petland and it came to her with double pnemonia.
Laika
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Altari.......I have seen no abuse directed at you either... What you have is a critically ill puppy......and one that has had some bad breaks in early life. Most of us here are going to come down on the side of doing what is best for your puppy and to be honest, not all vets are going to see it that way. Many are quite happy to take your money and not worry as much about what is best for your puppy! We are trying to help you save money and time in the long run......by helping you get this puppy healthy and strong now. That way in years down the road you will have a strong healthy dog. Sure you can feed the puppy the bagged food however don't expect it to work as well as making the bland diet! And if you have a few more trips to the vet and have to shell out a few hundred more $$, that's up to you...Many of us here have many years experience dealing with sick dogs and have learned the hard way. We are trying to help you so you won't have to learn things the hard way but it is entirely up to you if you chose to...just don't come crying to us when they get bad.......we simply would like to see the puppy get well as fast as possible and not suffer...
meezermom

Postby imetal » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:22 pm

my pup is suffering this right now. the runs with a tad of blood in there. the vet told me this is normal and prescribed metronidazole. i did him a rawhide so.... looks like this was not a smart idea...
imetal
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Next

Return to Dog Vomiting & Diarrhea