Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Nursing Dog Mom with Diarrhea : Dog Vomiting & Diarrhea
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Nursing Dog Mom with Diarrhea

Driven by diet or illnesses, dog can react by vomiting or diarrhea. What is happening to your dog? Let's help each other!

Nursing Dog Mom with Diarrhea

Postby bmyork » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:43 pm

My Sib Husky had six pups 4 weeks ago. She has had diarrhea for most of the time since she has had the pups. I took her to the vet last week (weight loss, diarrhea, and some vomiting). The vet checked her for parasites, remaining pups, and heart worms. She was clear on all counts. But the diarrhea remains. She is making messes in the house (which she never did before the pups). What can I do to help her?
bmyork
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:02 pm

HW does not cause diarrhea. Did your vet not mention any of the gastric diseases related to diarrhea? I would be going to a different vet - even if only for a second opinion. Are all her vaccines current? Did he check for infection? Here is some information for you.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/colitis.html

In the mean time, if it were my dog, I would fast her for 24 hours, allow very small amts of water. Boil lean hamgurg or chicken (no skin), rinse in cold water, mix with rice. 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice, feed no more than 2 cups at a time over 3 times a day. Gradually introduce her dog food into the mix. You can give petpo bismol or Immodium

She must be getting really pulled down between nursing & a month of diarrhea. What did you mean, "the remaining pups"? did you loose some?
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby bmyork » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:45 pm

No, I didn't lose any pups. By "remaining pups", I meant unborn pups remaining in the uterus. This is her first litter (and mine too!), so I may be just freaking out, but she has lost so much weight! I know some weight loss is to be expected, but her appetite is good.

The vet drew blood, did a stool sample, temp (normal). Told me to begin feeding the (then 3 weeks old) pups puppy food two to three times a day to help her begin to wean the pups. He also said, it could be from "cleaning up" after the pups, so I've been trying to clean up as much as I can so she doesn't do it (it's kind of gross when she does it anyway).

Her stool is the consistency of pudding. She left a mess in my hall just this morning (this seems to be her place of preference). She never did that before and I am just worried that maybe she is having problems controlling herself.

She appears to be putting on a little weight now that the pups are eating food.
bmyork
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:33 pm

No, you are not freaking out. You have every reason to be concerned.

Did the vet have you start the puppies on gruel? What kind of food is mom getting? You can add pasta's, noodles, boiled potatoes to her food for some extra calories. Also, give her a good quality puppy food, it has higher calories. Another stool sample may be needed. Ask if they checked specifically for cocciddia.

Try giving her a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) every day. I would start with fasting, then the rice diet before switching. Her system needs a rest.

Please keep us posted.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to Dog Vomiting & Diarrhea