Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
black lab pit bull mix problem : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

black lab pit bull mix problem

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

black lab pit bull mix problem

Postby gharmison » Fri May 15, 2009 6:47 pm

I have an 8 year old black lab pit bull mix which my wife and I love very much. Within the last couple of months she's started growling a lot when we feed her. It seems to be getting more often and more aggressive, she's even lunged towards us a few times as if she was going to bite us. My wife and I are expecting our first child and it scares us that one day she will bite us or god forbid the baby. I don't want to put the dog to sleep but I'm afraid she will one day hurt someone. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Glen
gharmison
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby uptowndogs » Fri May 15, 2009 8:06 pm

Have you seen the vet to make sure the dog is well and healthy? Make sure to have the teeth checked too. My only other guess is that perhaps the dog is sensing your wife's pregnancy and changing hormones. I'm sure others will be able to help more...
uptowndogs
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby gharmison » Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm

We have an appointment to see the vet next week. My wife and I would be devastated if we had to put her down but we also don't want her hurting someone.
gharmison
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby meezermom » Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Hi Glen and welcome to SeeFido

As this is something new, I would first of all suggest a visit to the vet. You may be looking at a number of health issues. Teeth would be the very first thing I would be thinking of! You do want to be sure she is healthy and if not, if a correctable item, you want it taken care of before the baby comes.

Secondly, your wife's body smell is different! Your dog is noticing she doesn't smell the same and may be quite thrown off by it! This isn't something you can do a lot about other than be watchful...Is your wife close to her delivery date? If so, it may settle down soon.

Thirdly, because you are expecting what I am guessing is your first baby, have you and your wife changed in attitude toward the dog? Maybe everything now is all about the baby and before the dog was "the baby"? If so, the dog is confused, afraid and very unsettled. She is very fearful and has no way to express her worries. It is very easy to treat the dog like the child and then when a real child is coming, the dog is now relegated to being a real dog. She can't understand what she did wrong that she is no longer important. Has she been included in everything? You have to treat her like the center as she always was or the problems get worse. Stop and really look to see if the way you are acting towards her has changed.

First off, the vet. Then start looking at a behavioral issue on either side. In the meantime, read NILIF and try to regain control of the situation. Be sure she is getting enough exercise. Walks are great for mommy to be and dog. Keep in mind many labs are very overweight and if she is, her joints could be hurting badly. Hip dysplasia is more common in labs than in German Shepherd Dogs! Also, if you have family members or friends who are telling you how dangerous she or any dog will be to have around the baby, ignore it. Too often, well meaning family (grandparents to be) can be overzealous in trying to push the family pets out the door when the first grandchild comes in. Especially if they are not fond of the dog. It isn't fair. The dog has given you her love and life and deserves better. Yes, she is up there for her breed but don't be forced into doing something simply because you are now treating her differently. Especially under the influence of others.
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems