Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Can you love your dog too much? : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Can you love your dog too much?

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Can you love your dog too much?

Postby Lisu » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:34 pm

Quick question.. can you love your dog too much? Will all the attention go to his head and make him impossible to be around other people? Also.. can dogs begin to get the idea that they're human? My pup spends a lot of his time on his back legs walking around and shuffling from one place to the next. It's un-canny :roll:
Lisu
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby montanabanana » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:51 pm

Personally- I don't think you can love your dog too much. However- Loveing and Spoiling are two very different things. I think the problem some people have is they love their dog sooo much that they begin to treat it like a person and also don't give it the bounderies that dogs need to live happy, obediant, and safe lives. I love my puppy like she is my child but, I have to remind myself, she is a dog, she needs to be treated like a dog. She is 100% part of the family but, she does not have the same privileges that us humans do. One thing I struggled with when I first got Rosie was thinking if I scolded her or said "Leave it" or "No" that she wouldn't like me. I was completely wrong. She still adores me and she also listens and I am the boss.
I don't know if you've ever watched The Dog Whisperer but, he talks about this and what he says really makes sense.
montanabanana
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Laika » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:24 pm

I think it is more likely that a human will think their dog is human, then a dog will they think they are human.
Laika
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby LabLover » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:44 pm

No, I don't think you can love a dog too much. I loved my puppy to death before he left for his guidework training, but like montana said, there's a difference between loving them and spoiling them. If you always give them their way, then they will start to realize that you are their servant. And yes, that will "go to their heads". Those kinds of dogs are the dogs that no one wants to be around.
LabLover

Postby lizzybeth727 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:49 am

Will all the attention go to his head and make him impossible to be around other people?

Ditto to the above replies.

I do think, though, that your dog can love you too much. We see this all the time with separation anxiety cases. When their owners are around, the dogs are constantly right there with them, practically worshiping their every move. Dogs literally have trouble functioning without their owners, and yes, this makes it impossible to be around other people, without their owners right there too.
lizzybeth727

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems