Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Concerned! Growling / hair standing up : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Concerned! Growling / hair standing up

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Concerned! Growling / hair standing up

Postby imetal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:33 pm

I'm very concerned. I need to nip this in the bud now. Any suggestions please tell.

I have recently started to bring my 10mo old female Choco Lab to a dog park. She is submissive to all the other dogs. Sometimes I feel the other dogs are being rough with her but owners tell me not to worry. I have seen her hair stand up at times and I do not like that at all. I try to call her back to me to get her mind off whatever it is...

at home she growls at me when I come close to her when she has her marrow bone/rawhide. I give a firm NO! and take the bone away. Sometimes when i am near her food bowl she growls. Again I give a firm NO and take her food away. What is the best way to combat this?

The other night she did something I am upset about. She started running rampant in the house so I chased her and when I got near her she barked at me (she has NEVER done this before) and then nipped me!!!! I took her by the collar and led her into her crate to cool off.

Please any suggestions? I'm quite concerned about her behavior. She was so good last month. This month she has turned into a rebellious brat!!!!!
imetal
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby suebgone » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:02 pm

when you started chasing her- it became a game but please don't use the crate for punishment. is she getting at least 3 brisk 30 - 45 minute walks every day?

she feels threatened at the dog park & it is only a matter of time until she goes into action & rightfully so. if the other dogs are being to rough with her - it is certainly no fun for her & probably a little scary to boot.

instead of the dog park, any friends with fences where you can go for one on one playtimes. dog parks can be very dangerous places for dog & owner.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby meezermom » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Rebellious is right! She is "that age".......like a teenager so that is sort of how you will need to think. You are training her right? If not, start classes NOW! If so, step up the work. Check the NILIF site here too and get that in motion. Don't worry too much about hackles up at the park. She is trying to make her self look bigger and more scary to other dogs so they won't bully her.... and no matter what others say, don't allow other dogs to bully her. Playing is one thing, bullying is another. I would not allow her rawhide for now. Let her have a sterilized bone or a Nylabone....If she growls, correct her immediately but don't reach down and take it. That will lead to a snap. Take her by the collar and remove her from the area then remove the offending item.... Sounds like she needs more exercise though! Labs do....I wouldn't have gotten uptight about her running around the house, that is normal at that age. She was telling you she needs more exercise..It would have been better to take her out for a run. Do you have a fenced in yard? If so, you should have taken her out for some fetch... Don't chase her as she thought you were playing and it turned negative so she was confused. Nipping is a correcting offense but the crate is not for punishment. Better to have leashed her and tied her to something. Really up that exercise and wear her out....things will improve and make sure you are working her obedience...
meezermom

Postby imetal » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:15 pm

Well this chase/nip happened right as we got home from the dog park. She had 1hr of running and going nuts/playing with the other dogs!

She gets a 1hr walk a day but its only when I get home from work. I haven't been able to get up early to take her for a morn stroll. I also try to play with her outside after the walk for another 1/2hr. Its tough though, but i know it must be done. After coming home from work its a second job! :?

She knows all commands and she even knows how to retreive on command and "mark" but it seems as if all of this went down the toliet this month!!!! Its like she doesn't care about me and just wants to go nuts and crazy. The only change was introducing her to the dog park.

I have been through a 2 month obedience class with her and it helped and the trainer said she has come a long way and was very impressed at how she behaved. And unfourtunately the trainer told me to use the crate as a "time out". Oh well, I don't know...i guess bad advice huh.

The growling is a concern for sure. I will just have to work it out. When she barked and nipped me I was in shock. She's never ever done such a thing until now. It made me mad to be honest but I didn't flip out at her. Just took her by the collar and led her into her crate and walked away without saying or acting a word...
imetal
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby suebgone » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:00 pm

she is a 10 month old puppy that has spent a large portion of her life in a crate. it is beginning to take its toll on her mentally as well as physically & she is becoming more frustrated. labs are very high energy dogs & need a huge amount of exercise

IMO her getting all that much exercise & stimulation at one time is more harmful than good. if I am reading this correctly - she had an hour at the park going nuts romping, an hour walk & half hour of play - all within 3 hours?? but now for the next 20 hours she sits.

chocolates seem to have even more specfific needs & have personality traits not normally found in the others. think about it - you seldom see the chocolates used as service dogs or in K-9 work.

what about partial doggie day care or a dog walker.
suebgone

Postby Lawrencesraiser » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:05 pm

I've always found that after I take one of my labs for a long walk, as soon as we come home, they have even more energy. Seems counter intuative, but it's been my experience.

What I'd suggest for right now, don't take her to the off-leash dog park. Sounds like she can't handle it. Take her for a longer walk instead.

No, the crate should never be used for punishment. I know it's hard for me sometimes, if I get fustrated, I just want to stick my dogs in the crate, but that's not what it's for. :)

This may have been asked before, but has she been spayed? If she hasn't, her hormones are in full-swing, plus she's at the "tough age". I'm training a 8 month old yellow lab right now, who has just been neutered, and he's starting to push the limits. The biggest thing is remembering to be consistant. That's what got me through the tough phase with Arturo (my last puppy), and is what will get me through with this one.
Lawrencesraiser
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems