Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Dog being left alone for 12 hours and more... : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Dog being left alone for 12 hours and more...

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Dog being left alone for 12 hours and more...

Postby Goofy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:06 am

Hi everyone!
My neighbors, both working, have an almost 2 year old, small breed dog.
They leave for work at 7 a.m. and usually don't return until 7 p.m. (Last Friday they weren't home until 1 a.m.)
I have offered the owners multiple times to walk their dog for them during the day, but never got a response from them. I feel terrible for that little guy!
Are there any laws as far as how long you are allowed to leave your dog alone? I couldn't find anything.

If the dog happens to have to go in the house, he turns around and eats his own feces...

What do guys think?

Thank you for your input!

Goofy
Goofy

Postby bradfran » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:13 am

Unfortunately no, as long as he is being provided with food and water (clean on both counts of course) and is kept up to date on all of his shots, and not being abused or "legally" neglected (that means he gets fed and watered, and any illnesses or injuries are taken care of immediately)...nothing you can do except try to reason with them. It is very unfortunate but thats the law.

If they are not vaccinating him they can be put in prison though. That is actually a felony due to disease prevention/spread-outbreak risks.
bradfran
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby suebgone » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:15 am

I think it sucks however there are no laws pertaining to leaving them alone. Now if the dog is being kept in a crate then perhaps. Proving it would be extremely difficult.
suebgone

Postby Goofy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:31 am

Thank you for your quick response!!!
Yeah, the dog has food and water, and as far as I know he is also up to date with his shots.
I know he's not in a crate when he's alone, as he always peeks through the blinds when somebody drives by.
I know his owners love him, but when it comes to giving him the time and attention he needs they are way too irresponsible.
I have told them (nicely) before that I feel bad for their dog being left alone at home for that long, and they always react in a "oh, I know, we feel bad too. But what can we do?" - kind of way.
I am a dog owner myself, and if I wouldn't be able to walk my dog during the day I would either a.) make sure somebody else does it for me, or b.) break my own heart by finding them a home where they get the attention and time that they need and deserve.

It just makes me soo mad... :evil:
Goofy

Postby bradfran » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:35 am

And that makes you a responsible person who should be allowed to own a dog, or e=be responsible for any life besides you own. Many (like your neighbor and the hundreds who find their way here and argue their nonsense against the facts and realities) should be forbidden to own so much as a goldfish, let alone raise a child.

All you can do is keep trying to convince them of the reality of what is best for their dog.
bradfran

Postby bearlasmommy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:43 pm

bradfran wrote:And that makes you a responsible person who should be allowed to own a dog, or e=be responsible for any life besides you own. Many (like your neighbor and the hundreds who find their way here and argue their nonsense against the facts and realities) should be forbidden to own so much as a goldfish, let alone raise a child.

All you can do is keep trying to convince them of the reality of what is best for their dog.

Unfortunately for the dog, in the eyes of the law, the owners are not commiting a crime if: They are not leaving it over 24 hours alone in a crate.
2. If they are leaving food and water out for it.
3. If they are exercising the animal when they are home.
4. If they are providing the necessities of life and the animals health is not suffering, (weight loss, etc)

Unfortunate but true. It is also necessary for the owners to make a living as they will argue but they could at least allow you too walk it, leave it at a doggy day care, or have someone go by a few times a day to spend a bit of time with it. I have two dogs and a cat and there is always someone home with them. Infact, i have an office at home where i work on all my briefs, and other paper work so that they do have someone with them. If they love the animal as much as they say, they should accomodate the animal in some way. Try this, leave a typed letter in their mail box with the address with this site on it as well as a heading to look up. Have them come on here, read what is said about all the various animals and maybe, just maybe, they will come to their senses.
bearlasmommy

Postby bradfran » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:49 pm

All the pups I have ever bred went to homes were someone was home all day and night with them. If that changed they signed a legally binding contract (both parties had an attorney present) prmosing that they would return the dog to myself or the owner of the dam. Hasn't happened yet and I know the folks who own those dams check up on every one of those pups twice a year.

Some people just shouldn't have dogs.
bradfran

Postby suebgone » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:14 pm

If they are not vaccinating him they can be put in prison though. That is actually a felony due to disease prevention/spread-outbreak risks.

Hmmm while I really like the premis here, not the case anywhere I have ever seen. Most places it is a summary offense. Some a misdemeanor. Now perhaps in some areas if they have multiple offenses. Perhaps you have information I've never seen.

As for excersing - boy I wish. That is not something I've ever seen in any cruelty law either. Of course we have many states that either have NO cruelty laws, or don't require vet care or shelter. While there is nothing that says a dog can't be in a crate for any specific amount of time, I'm pretty sure after 24 hours - clean & sanitary would become an issue & then you may have something.

Proving cruelty is often very difficult but proving it when the dog is kept in the house is nearly impossible.
suebgone

Postby bearlasmommy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:36 pm

bradfran wrote:All the pups I have ever bred went to homes were someone was home all day and night with them. If that changed they signed a legally binding contract (both parties had an attorney present) prmosing that they would return the dog to myself or the owner of the dam. Hasn't happened yet and I know the folks who own those dams check up on every one of those pups twice a year.

Some people just shouldn't have dogs.

what type of dogs did you breed?
I think all breeders should request that new parents sign a legally binding contract of this type. Its nice to hear that none have ever been returned although i know of one breeder in Canada who had everyone sign these contracts and found out years later the dog had been given up to a humane society in BC. Litigation followed and the breeder took the dog back from the Humane Society and raised it herself. nothing had been wrong with the dog except the fact the owner had gotten bored and didnt want to contact the breeder.
bearlasmommy

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems