Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Dog Zappers : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Dog Zappers

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Dog Zappers

Postby Erik » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:12 pm

Hello everyone:

Can anyone recommend for or against these things? They seem cruel... but I am about at my wits end with my dog Chopper. He just doesn't listen sometimes when I let him out.

Can anyone recommend a brand as well?

Cheers,

Erik (and Chopper)
Erik
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:08 pm

for or against WHAT things? Do you mean a shock collar? What doesn't he listen to? LET him out? Loose? or in a fenced yard?

I just saw your other post - you have a dog that is submissive & you want to use some sort of "zapper" on it?????????? You want to permanently ruin this poor dog?

How about some obedience classes where you and the dog learn? They also help build self confidence
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Erik » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:53 pm

We don't have a fenced yard, so when I let him out I have to watch him.

He just did it again, so I zapped the bastard. I love him, but this is ridiculous!

Erik (and Chopper)
Erik
Dog Loving Active Member

ZIPPER

Postby sardad » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:36 pm

You need to take your dog back there you got him and never own one again!!! If your to lazy to obedience train your dog then you should not own one. Useing a e-collar on a dog with no training is just going to f*** up the dog. Stop what you are doing and go see a pro.
sardad
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:09 pm

Oh, so you already HAVE a zapper? Hmmm perhaps a troll!! In any event I agree with all that sardad said.
suebgone

Postby Erik » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:46 pm

I borrowed one to try it out, from my neighbor. I tried it on myself a little just to make sure it wouldn't hurt Chopper to badly. It didn't hurt too much or anything, it just made me grimace a little.

Erik (and Chopper)
Erik
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby fourdognite » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:30 am

Like, a pooping-my-pants grimace, or big purple Burger King Grimace?

Troll.
fourdognite
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby HMZ » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:51 pm

I think you should invest some time, money and energy into training. I don't know how old Chopper is but clearly he doesn't realize that you, not he, are the alpha.

From what I have seen, the people with the zappers fall into two categories: 1) people who are too lazy to train their dogs; and 2) people whose dogs have not been trained and are a complete menace to other people and dogs. The owners in group 2 either refuse to train their dogs or don't follow through with the training that they have been given with their dogs. I'm not saying you are lazy, just that it is probably a better strategy for you to take the dog to obedience classes.

Another thing that I have noticed with the zappers, the dogs that are zapped are completely screwed up. They are fearful and nervous and often act inappropriately. I think that makes sense -- they don't know what part of their behavior is "wrong" -- they only know that at some unspecified time they could be zapped. It's sad to see.
HMZ
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby neo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:42 pm

Manage your situation. INVEST IN A FENCE if you care at all about your dog and your neighbors.

Until you put in some effort, how are people supposed to take you seriously?
neo
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby ftc » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:38 am

I just joined this site and was browsing thru some of the topics to see if my questions may have been addressed/answered previously. This is about the third one I have read.

I have to say that I don't agree with the use of the zappers but the real reason I'm posting this reply....

fourdognite - my cheeks still hurt from laughing and the tears are still running down my face.

Now THAT'S comedy.
ftc
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby Mugsy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:54 am

"He just did it again, so I zapped the bastard."

This quote right here makes me think this is just some "child" trying to start trouble and get attention, however, just in case this is ACTUALLY a serious question:

UUUUMMMMM- Walk your dog. I live in a townhouse community where there are no fences, so what I do is, you see, I get this long "magical" thing, it has a loop at one end and a clasp at the other....it attaches to a dog's collar, its called a leash. Then I get up off my @ss, use these appendages called "legs" and WALK my dog.
Mugsy

Postby suebgone » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 am

Welcome to fido. fourdog hasn't been around for several days. A dog she rescued about a year ago from a life of hell just had multiple surgeries & at least one was cancer. I'm sure she will be glad to know she gave you a chuckle.
suebgone

Postby fourdognite » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:07 am

Hi all, and thank you Sue for letting me know that someone else thinks I am funny besides me. Hello there FTC, and welcome :P

I also had a dog die one year and one month ago. An english bulldog. Wanna know how? A shock collar, irresponsibly and overzealously used by a horrible trainer, caused his heart to be thrown into an electrical arrythmia. He died 2 weeks later. His heart was regularly checked with no prior problems. Teddybear was only 5 years old.

So, troll, it is not funny to make jokes about something as serious as electric shocking your dog. It really offends me, actually.
fourdognite

Postby Mugsy » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:16 am

fourdognite wrote:Hi all, and thank you Sue for letting me know that someone else thinks I am funny besides me. Hello there FTC, and welcome :P

I also had a dog die one year and one month ago. An english bulldog. Wanna know how? A shock collar, irresponsibly and overzealously used by a horrible trainer, caused his heart to be thrown into an electrical arrythmia. He died 2 weeks later. His heart was regularly checked with no prior problems. Teddybear was only 5 years old.

So, troll, it is not funny to make jokes about something as serious as electric shocking your dog. It really offends me, actually.

That's so horrible that that happened to the poor dog!
I just don't understand the point of shock-collars.
I couldn't bring myself to shock a pet I LOVE.
:cry:
Mugsy

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems