Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
How do I get my dog to obey me? : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

How do I get my dog to obey me?

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

How do I get my dog to obey me?

Postby JessieB » Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:20 pm

I have a 11 month old beagle/bichon frise mix. He is a good dog but does not listen to me. He loves to steal things that he knows are not his toys and run away and chew them. I say "NO" and "LEAVE IT" but he doesn't listen to me and runs away from me everytime I try to get whatever he has from him. He listens to my husband but not me. I'm so frustrated and don't know how to get him to obey me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
JessieB
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby meezermom » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:17 pm

You need to read up on NILIF and use it...that will help you a great deal. You can also try using a waist leash. Keeping him fastened to YOU. He will have no choice but to go with you and stay with you and he will have to learn to listen to you. He is ready body language and is picking up that he does not have to listen to you.... that needs to be changed so that he learns you are also his boss... You should try being the one who feeds him and everything else. Once he learns that he has no choice, he will listen to you..
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby suebgone » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:23 pm

have YOU gone through obedience classes with him?

Remember that beagles are hunting dogs & runners. He is doing what comes naturally & you are playing into it if you are chasing him. That qualifies it as a game.

Keep everything picked up so there is nothing for him to grab but his own toys.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Stephanie » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:22 am

Your dog needs basic obedience training so he learns who's boss. You're definitely not pack leader at your house. I would put him on a leash and keep him supervised in the house until he learns who's in charge. This way when he grabs something and runs off, he can't go far and you can always catch him. I would recommend a prong collar because the dog learns quicker and you don't need to pull hard at all on most dogs. But before you put the prong on, start with treats. Pull him towards you when he has something, tell him to "leave it" or "drop it" or "NO" and then give him a tug on the leash/collar. If he does what you asked, give him a treat. If he doesn't do it willingly, just take it away as you say NO and give him no treat. But DO tell him "good dog" once you get the item back so that he knows you still love him.
Stephanie
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby JessieB » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:00 am

Thank you for the responses. How long should I keep him leashed in the house at night? He sporatically runs away with things so I'm not sure if I should keep him leashed for a long time or only an hour or 2. Thanks again.
JessieB

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems