Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
my 11 year old bichon frise : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

my 11 year old bichon frise

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

my 11 year old bichon frise

Postby Cookie47 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:42 am

He is the "love of my life" but as he has gotten older, he has developed some behaviors that are very trying. For example, around dinner time, he "herds" me into the kitchen and waits while I cook dinner. I give him his dinner and then he continues to bark and demand more food all night long until around 11 pm! My husband and daughter ignore him and I try to distract him with toys, but he will not play but just runs into the kitchen and barks til I give him food. I've given him cheerios, carrots,and even peas and he gobbles them up! Help! This behavior is wearing me out!!
Cookie47

Postby Mugsy » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:11 am

Hello Cookie and welcome to seeFido!

This situation is a catch 22, you are giving the dog treats, carrot sticks, etc to appease / calm down the dog, however, at the same time, you are rewarding this behavior.

Is there a chance you can put up a baby gate to keep the dog out of the kitchen area? When the dog whines, your best bet would be to either ignore or give him a nice firm "no".

Best of luck to you.
Mugsy
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Re: my 11 year old bichon frise

Postby Sheroux » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:22 pm

Your dogs behavior could be related to a cople of different medical problems. For example, in the early stages of Diabetes and Cushing's can cause a pet to feel hungry even after being fed. My little dog had some similar behaviors and it took more than a year with numerous vets to find that he had cushings. His original test had showed negative. I only share this as it may not be behavioraly related. While I am sure you have had him checked out medically, tests do not always show medical disorders in the early stages. I hope this is helpful to you.

Cookie47 wrote:He is the "love of my life" but as he has gotten older, he has developed some behaviors that are very trying. For example, around dinner time, he "herds" me into the kitchen and waits while I cook dinner. I give him his dinner and then he continues to bark and demand more food all night long until around 11 pm! My husband and daughter ignore him and I try to distract him with toys, but he will not play but just runs into the kitchen and barks til I give him food. I've given him cheerios, carrots,and even peas and he gobbles them up! Help! This behavior is wearing me out!!
Sheroux

Postby lizzybeth727 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:23 am

I agree with Mugsy, your dog is training you to give him food (unless it's a medical problem, of course). Just ignore the barking. It'll get worse before it gets better, but he will learn that these behaviors are not going to get him food. He only gets food when he does something good!
lizzybeth727

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems