Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
My dog acts to submissive,and has never been hit or hurt : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

My dog acts to submissive,and has never been hit or hurt

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

My dog acts to submissive,and has never been hit or hurt

Postby ibquackers20 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:02 pm

I own a female now 5 years old miniature american eskimo, got her as a puppy.When someone calls her to come to them even myself that she acts like she had been beaten , no one has ever raised a hand to her or yelled at her at all. I did all the house training and she is a friendly dog but it worries me as to why she acts this way - could it just be the pure breed attitude in this type of breed that when she walks up to us she crawls on her belly when called? :?:
ibquackers20
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby Leah » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:05 pm

is this a new behavior or something she's always done?
Leah
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

dog submissive

Postby ibquackers20 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:17 pm

this is something she has always done, we use to own 2 other dogs and 2 years ago one had to be put to sleep she was very old, then just 2 months ago the second one died from a heart attack (vet said because she was so old her heart just gave out and she died at home with us ). She seems ok with the 2 gone and we all give her much more attention with it just being her, and I did not notice it till someone asked. I then thought way back while she was growing up and she always does it. She was never abused, just spoiled rotten. She is my powder puff baby and follows me every where - she even waits for me while I am in the bathroom. When ever someone wants to find me they all say look for April and mom will be very close by. I own as well 4 miniature horses and while I am outside tending to my barn chores and horses my family says that april sits in front of the security cameras waiting for me.

Once she sees me comming she is like tigger the tiger on winny the poo , or she has springs in her back legs because boy can she jump. We had to make her outside run higher than 6 feet, then higher than 8 feet - finally we made it 12 feet and she has not yet got out of there. lol

Just wish I knew how to not be so submissive and that no one is out to hurt her.
ibquackers20

Postby Mugsy » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm

Hello ibquackers20- welcome to SeeFido!

Couple of questions for ya:

1) Has the dog been through a formal obedience training? This could help build her confidence.

2) Have you ever looked into NILIF training? This could be a good tool to use- sometimes when a pooch is "spoiled rotten"- (and I'm guilty of doing the same) this behavior can become a learned behavoir.

3) When you see she is acting like this (submissive and fearful)- do you coddle her? Or baby her? This too can give her a "positive reward" for the negative behavior, and now its a habit.

4) Has the dog been socialized- met 100 people and other dogs when it was a puppy? (after shots of course)

Here are some links you may find useful!
http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/submissive_ ... aviour.htm
http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/submissive_ ... nation.htm
http://www.perfectpaws.com/shy.html

:D
Mugsy
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

answers to questions

Postby ibquackers20 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:12 am

1- she has not been to no training except to sit ,stay,come,and house broken
2- no I did not know that site existed,and as for spoiled, well all I do is call her and she sits by me to be petted. I scratch her by the ears and pet her back and scratch her belly when she lays on her side.
3-well I guess kind of neither just the same as answer number 2.
4-No the dog gets severly car sick, she only goes in the car to see the vet which is only 5 miles down the road and she lays on the passenger seat till we get there.

I will check out the links and see if it helps - thank you
ibquackers20

Postby suebgone » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:32 am

Not everything has an identifiable cause. somethings just ARE! That is apparantely how she is. I had two cats - brothers - born with me, that every time someone came to my house - they would dive into the cellar. No reason - they had never been mistreated, scared, etc - that is just the way they were.

I've seen dogs act this way with absolutely no history of anything to blame it on.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Ellie » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:58 am

I am also in your situation except with a puppy. She was born june 3rd and she is Great Pyrenees cross Border Collie with Austrailian Sheapard. I would like to correct this problem earlier on. She is not spayed.
We also have two other dogs. Both Females.

Situation- she seems so scared and hesitant to come to us when the other dogs are not with her and also even if they are with her. We have a Quanset where we keep some vehicles in and all of our dogs usually just jump on the back if we go somewhere or crawl into the cab. The only way she will go to the quanset is if she follows one of our other dogs. Say if one of our other dogs jumps on the back of a truck with the endgate open she will try, she puts her front paws on it and tries, so when we go to help her, she runs away to the house. And when you go to try and catch her or even just pet her, she just runs away to the house. Once you get to the house she croutches down real low as if she thinks she did something wrong.

Any suggestions? I will try and post a video of this at a later time.
Ellie
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems