Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Needy Dogs : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Needy Dogs

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Needy Dogs

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:21 pm

K...Love this forum. Here's the story and my questions. I have had Max, a male standard dachsund for 6 years. I thought it might do him good to have a friend to play with as he so loves to play. I looked and looked at dachsie rescue and ended up rescuing a dog in my area directlt from her situation. I thought I was just adopting a dog from a crowded home. I ended up rescuing Elleanor, a 10 year old dachsund. I also rescued another male minnie dachsund out of a box outside of Petsmart. So I went from one to three dogs in a matter of days. This was about 6 months ago. Eleanor has come a very long way. She is a total hall monitor and a no nonsense personality. Affection was completely foriegn to her--and really any time. Everyone refers to her as mini me. She follows me EVERYWHERE. She MUST see me and be right next to me the entire time I am at home. I had some big problems with her attacking Max the first 2 months. She does not have any play in her and she sees his play as threatening--even though the play is never directed at her. Very nervous when play is happening and have to keep her completely away from the rucus. The puppy--Steinbeck is a total joy and I must say--the most gorgeous, smartest most lovely dog I have ever known. He was very wormy, undernouished, nervous and lathargic when we first got him. He weighed less than a pound and was very small for the 3 months he was. Here are my questions oh learned ones: 1. Should I keep the dogs separated when I am gone to avoid what may be happening when I am not here ( referencing Eleanor's crazy stuff around play) I will say that she has lightened up considerably and acts like she is playing but the hillarity is that she is jus tmimicing what she thinks I like but has no idea it's play and puts absolutely no play in it. 2. What do I do about the having to be right under me? She will even wake in the middle of the night to watch me sit on the toilet. 3. Why isn't the baby growing. 6 months at Jan 6th and still very, very small. Vet shrugs and that maddens me. Maybe weighs 4 pounds now. 4. They totally compete for attention. Max seems to be more independent now and I go out of my way to love all of them. They are my kids and there is nothing, NOTHING I wouldn't do for them. 5. They are picking up each other's bad habits. How on earth do I solve this? Thank you ever so much.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

From Chloe

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Eleanor’s reaction is very common in rescued dogs, its hard to know what kind of traumatic experience they’ve gone through, her utmost devotion to you is to be expected, you have become her rescuer and master. Her feeling threatened by play, is more of a sign of defense towards you, since I’m guessing the playful ones are playing around or even with you. Showing that you care for all of them and playing with her separately might change that insecurity she has towards her peers. I don’t think you need to worry about their well being in your absence its very probable she ignores their actions while your away and is very uptight for your wellbeing. As for the mini Dachshund its common for them to be very small specially if they had a undernourished upbringing, you might want to give him some vitamins supplements to make up for it. Its very, VERY important you show all of them the same affection or else you really will be faced with a problem; if possible trying to spend extra time with each of them separately also strengthens your bond with each of them, specially Eleanor which seems to still be fairly insecure. Their bad habits need to be stopped ASAP, dogs have a very low capacity for past memory, smells and noises yes, but not actions, so screaming at them for something they did 1 hour before will not make sense to them, so verbally rebuking them in the act is preferable and more effective specially if the others are around.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:22 pm

In addition to Chloe, who is always right on the money, our Spencer is also a rescue. He has the characteristics of both your new dogs. We rescued him 2 years ago and he was only 6lbs when we got him, his fur matted (he's a long hair) and he was a puppy mill stud. When we first brought him home, he wouldn't even eat if we were in the same room. It took me 2 weeks to even get him to come to me. I cried and cried, thinking he hated me. But came to realize his little life had been spent in a kennel, his soul purpose was mating. Nobody ever petted him, or held him or anything. He didn't even have a name when we got him. He follows me everywhere, sits with me in the bathroom when I go potty. But the way I look at it is that I am his comfort zone. He doesn't play either. My female dachsy, who we have had since she was 6 weeks would try to play with him and he had nothing to do with it. Today, he still doesn't play very much, but like Chloe said, I spend individual time with each of my dogs, so they know mommy loves me too. I have 3 - 2 dachsys and a boxer. They get jealous of each other and fight if one gets more attention than the other, but by giving them individual attention, it makes them feel alittle more secure about THEIR individual relationships with me.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems