Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Regression in house training : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Regression in house training

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Regression in house training

Postby Taz's Mom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:17 pm

Hi. I just found this website and am desperate for help! I hope someone here can offer me some advice. Our family has a 2 1/2 year old male Boston Terrier, Taz. He is neutered. Basically he is a good dog, but over the past 3 months he has been urinating in the house again at an increasing rate, that has become daily at this point. He was hard to house train when he was a puppy, but we did work through it. He was very easy to crate train, as from the night we brought him home, he did not have any accidents while in his crate. He did go through a short stage of urinating in the house when he was about a year old, but we also worked through that in a few weeks. He now has free roam of our house, and I desperately do not want to go back to using gates to block off rooms again! The problem is difficult because we are not catching him in the act. He is in his crate at night and when no one is at home, so he is having these accidents while we are around, just not in the same room. At first it was just in one room, our downnstairs bathroom, but now, it happens in a variety of rooms throughout the house. I am also worried that the problem will get worse as winter approaches. We live in Pennsylvania and Taz does not like the cold weather. I would appreciate any advice! Please help!
Taz's Mom
Taz's Mom
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby kimc » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Has he been into see the vet? He may have an urinary tract infection. My advice would be to clean the areas where he is going with vinegar and water solution to neutralize the odor. He'll continue peeing there as he has scent there and in his eyes it is ok to eliminate there. You also might want to crate him when you can't keep your eyes on him all the time. Does he get plenty of attention from you and your family? He may be doing this to get attention??????
kimc
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Lindsay » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:41 pm

If you've taken him into the Vet and they have ruled out any medical problems (UTI, bladder or kidney stones...) you may need to resort back to "puppy potty training" methods. Keeping him crated when you are asleep, not home or unable to watch him. Regulate his food and water schedule and maintain a regular potty schedule.

Let us know what the Vet says. ;)
Lindsay

Postby suebgone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:59 pm

Are you sticking to a set schedule for his walks? At least 3 short ones a day. This breed should not go for long walks especially in the summer.

Absolutely get him to the vet, then back to housebreaking 101. Keep him leashed to you when ever he is not in the crate, & crate him whenever you cannot devote ALL your attention to him.

Has anything changed in his life that may have triggered this?
suebgone

Postby Taz's Mom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:03 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have not yet taken him to the vet. I know I should and will schedule a visit, but it actually seems more behavioral to me. I feel like he is "marking his territory" as he when he goes in the house, it is often a very small spot. I just don't understand why it has started now and why it is becoming more frequent. I guess that is why I should rule out a medical concern.

I will start cleaning the spots with vinegar and water. He does, however, go in a varitey of places now, not necessarily the same spots.

I feel like he gets a lot of attention!! I have 3 boys, ages 15, 14, and 10. They adore him, although Taz can be very demanding with attention! I will encourage more play time.

I started having everyone in the house "reward" Taz again when he goes outside. We give him a treat when he comes back in after he has done his business. He is very good at using his dog bell to let us know when he wants to go out.

Thanks, I'll try your recomendations.
Taz's Mom
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:24 pm

Someone should always be in the yard with him & he should be given the treat immediately. this way he thinks he is getting the treat for coming inside, not for peeing in the yard.

It is never safe to allow any dog to be outside unsupervised. People steal them all the time to sell for pit bull bait or to research labs.

Be very careful with the play time with 3 boys. The flat faced dogs cannot tolerate a lot of rough play, need resting after short exercise periods or their breathing apparatus won't work well.
suebgone

Postby Taz's Mom » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:11 pm

suebgone,

No, there has been no change in his life that I can think of that would trigger his behavior.

That does make sense about giving him a treat immediately after he pees in the yard instead of waiting till he comes in. I will admit that we have gotten out of the puppy training mode. We did that when he was very little, just learning to pee outside, but we quickly got away from it. When he is outside, he is always on a leash right outside our back door, so we can see him at all times. He also doesn't enjoy being outside when the kids aren't out, so he usually comes right back in after he does what he has to do.

Taz does get tired out quickly on walks and during play. Taz lets us know when he needs a rest. He usually backs away and lays down for awhile. The boys are very good at letting him take a break and not pushing him too far.

I plan to schedule a vet appt on tuesday.
Thanks for the info
Taz's Mom
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Taz's Mom » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:17 pm

It took awhile, but we finally got into the vet yesterday. The vet ruled out any medical concerns. Taz's urine sample was clear and the vet also palpated his bladder and found nothing wrong. The vet really felt that Taz is marking his territory. She asked a lot of questions regarding any changes in his daily routing or anything else that might upset him, but we could not come up with anything. We've gone back to puppy housetraining techniques and have been keeping a very close eye on him at all times. The other day he lifted his leg on our curtains right in front of us! Thanks for everyone's advice, any more tips would be greatly appreciated.
Taz's Mom
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Taz's Mom » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:09 am

I am very frustrated tonight. We thought things were going a little better -no accidents (that we knew of) for two days. Then within a span of four hours, he had three accidents! I am certain that he is marking his territory as one of these accidents happened withing 10 minutes of him being outside. He knows that he should go outside. He still rings his bell to let us know that he wants to go out and he does his business when he is out there. But why is he marking his territory now after he has lived in this house for 2 1/2 years and how do we get a male dog to stop that behavior? He was neutered at 6 months - we were hoping to avoid these male behaviors when we did that!! We are praising his when he pees outside and we are cleaning the accident spots exceptionally well. We don't know what else to do!!
Taz's Mom
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:17 am

Are you sure when he was neutered that both testicals had decended & were removed?
suebgone

Postby Taz's Mom » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:15 am

No, I am not sure. I was relying on my Vet's knowledge and abilities. How could I find that out?
Taz's Mom
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Lindsay » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 pm

If the Vet you are seeing now is the one who neutered him, he should be able to check his file. If not, contact the Vet who neutered him. If all else fails, the Vet you are seeing now maybe able to feel and determine if a testical remains undecended.
Lindsay

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems