Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Why does my dog act like this? : General Dog Behavior & Training Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Why does my dog act like this?

Boys will be boys & Dogs will be dogs! Ask anything you can think of here. We'll classify it later.

Why does my dog act like this?

Postby Cobalt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:34 pm

I have a 4 year old dog, he's not aggresive at all and has been with me since he was a puppy.
But he's never been very playful at all, even when he was a puppy, he doesn't even tend to react when I call him, or greet me when I come inside.
He doesn't really want to sit close to me or anyone in the house,and when you pet him he usually just goes away.
I've tried to give him more attention, or just leave hime alone and see if he'd come to me, but nothing really changes.
Why is he like this? I don't yell at him or hit him or something.
We do have another dog who's a bit bossy, but that's not really a reason for him to be like that, right?
Any advice? Or a reason why he's... Well no fun as a pet?
Or are there dogs who just don't like humans much, even though they've grown up around them?
Cobalt
NewBorn Puppy Member

Re: Why does my dog act like this?

Postby Dobestud » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 pm

It could be something to do with his breed. I know dog hybrids such as those with wolf or coyote tend to act less interested in people than most dogs do. However if you know this is not to be the case it simply could be his personality.

Did you pick him out from the breeder as a puppy? If so which type was he? Right up front wanting to see you, shying away at the back, ignoring you completely, or asleep and not responsive to being picked up/petted?

If you didn't get to pick him out however, he might just have always been like this, even from birth. Some dogs are just naturally more interested in doing their own thing (usually those on a farm lol) It also could have been that the breeder was never really interested in loving up the puppies and so he got used to human presence, but not so much contact.

Also, how is he with your other dog? Does he play with him/her at all? How is he with strange dogs? Does he like certain toys or is he not much interested in them either?

There are other possibilities for his behaviour, he may be deaf which is why he doesn't greet you or come when called.

A little more info on his breed, breeder and actions with other dogs may give us more clues as to why he is the way he is.
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Hi Cobalt and welcome to SeeFido!!!

By any chance is your dog a hound type? Many of them are not really into people however I will admit your dog is taking it to an extreme measure. Is there a possibility that your dog could be deaf? Some of the characteristics you are describing could be because of deafness or a major hearing loss. You might want to look into that....I will admit it does not sound like a lot of fun. How much training have you put into him? Do you take him on walks or anything like that? There is a possibility this dog could have some brain damage you know, could have been there since birth and it is becoming more apparent as he is getting older. You may want to discuss this with your vet as there could be a medical reason here..... Good luck and do let us know what you find!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Jasmer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Our previous dog was almost that bad. He was a sled dog my sister in law's mom bought from a musher. She suspected at least some degree of abuse by how hand shy and neurotic the dogs she bought were, and he was the only one of her bunch that never warmed up to people. She gave up on him after he kept rushing the door to get in the house, and then nobody could catch him to get him back outside, he'd poop all over the house, steal food off counters, etc. She was taking him to a shelter, I decided I wanted a dog and took him in. While I managed to get him to accept people in general during the four years I had him, he was never particularly friendly with anybody except kids, my mom, myself, and my husband. He wasn't an indoor dog, even though I kept him indoors. For a long time he didn't come to the door wagging his tail or anything, and while he'd lie down in the same room we were in, if anybody got within five feet of him he'd get up and move. :roll:

I think his case was a combination of poor socialization and abuse. I'd asked my vet about it once, she races huskies as a hobby and she told me a lot of alaskan husky breeders who ought to be taking temperament into consideration simply don't. She said most of them are like that to some degree, plus they aren't often socialized outside of the team they pull with, let alone with other people, and there are some people who race who have no business owning a dog. They yell, hit, beat, and whip their dogs. We know Shadow's previous musher was heavy handed when training.

Have you had the dog since he was a puppy? Was he yelled at or smacked often? If so, that may be the cause, he may have problems with people in general. If you socialized him and weren't particularly heavy handed then he may just simply be like that. Shadow was ill-tempered on a genetic level. There was nothing anybody could do to bring him out of it short of medicating him, and I'm not entirely sure that would even work. He never played with toys and he would only play with three dogs--one of his team-mates that came with him and two white siberian huskies, one he knew as a puppy and one rescue, all female. Otherwise he hated other dogs.

Unfortunately there are some dogs out there that just aren't fun pets. :P The only time Shadow was actually fun was when we took him for a good long walk or run. His favorite thing in the world!
Jasmer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to General Dog Behavior & Training Problems