Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Dog growling at bedtime : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Dog growling at bedtime

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Dog growling at bedtime

Postby puppymom » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:31 am

Hi, I have a cocker spaniel that is 2 years old and lately she growls at you if you go near her at night when she is in her cage. She seems to like her cage and gets in it and we leave the door open so she can get out if she needs too but you just can't even walk by her without a growl from her. She is fine the rest of the day and seems happy but just nighttime seems to be the problem. We also have another cocker that is 1 yr. old and she has been here for a year. She doesn't seem to be a problem to this other one.
HELP!!!!!! My husband is ready to get rid of her, but she is a nice dog the rest of the time and so loveable, just bed time seems to be the problem.
puppymom

Re: Dog growling at bedtime

Postby Mugsy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:39 am

Has the dog been through Obedience training? I only ask because perhaps this is a territorial thing, she thinks she OWNS this space. Maybe she thinks she's the Alpha.

Or- has the dog been to a vet recently to be checked out?
Is her eyesight normal? Can she see clearly at night? Can she hear well?
Maybe she is scared when people come too close if there is something not right with her. This can scare her and cause her to growl.

Anyone else have any suggestions.
Mugsy
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 am

She hasn't been to a vet yet, next month. She hasn't had obedience training, seems like she sees fine, definitely hears great. I thought their cage was like their safe place, tho, where we really couldn't punish them when they were in it. My husband has brought her out of her cage, without force, just speaking to her and saying"NO" but she will go back in and growl. She is very calm and submissive dog and not really any other problems with her.

Postby uptowndogs » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:05 pm

It's likely that she feels cornered when she is in her crate and someone is in front of her crate. Some dogs simply do not like to be cornered.
How long have you had this dog? Where did she come from?
uptowndogs
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby puppymom » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:15 am

We have had her since she was 10 weeks old. We got her at a good pet shop and she has been a beautiful dog until about 2-3 months ago. She will growl sometimes when she is sleeping at night on the couch when you come near her. Its almost like she doesn't want to go to bed at night, or just leave me alone I'll go to bed when I'm ready.
puppymom

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers