Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Dog Leaking : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Dog Leaking

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Dog Leaking

Postby kairosdreaming » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:41 am

In the past couple days our dog has leaked a clear odorless liquid, from what we believe is her rear end. At first we thought she got into some water somewhere when it happened a few days ago, but then it happened again tonight when she was sitting on my fiance's foot and then we knew it was coming from her. She doesn't seem to be sick any other way, and she was spayed back in October. She eats a mix of Kibbles and Bits and a dogfood that had a dog that looked like Lassie on the bag (can't remember the name of the food as we toss the bag and store in an airtight container). She's a husky/aussie mix that is about 1 1/2 years old.

I plan on getting her to the vet but didn't like the one we used last time (we've only had her for a little over a month) and want to seek out a new vet for her and wanted some peace of mind until I could find one. Should I be worried or rushing her to the vet, or is this kind of like the anal discharge i've read about while googling that a groomer could take care of? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
kairosdreaming
Dog Loving Active Member

Re: Dog Leaking

Postby Dobestud » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:56 pm

Welcome to the board!

It does sound like her anal glands are leaking, however with it being odorless, this is not the case. So a trip to the groomer will not change it.
The anal glands contain and oily substance that smells quite strongly. When a dog defecates, these glands are squeezed causing the oil to coat the feces for territorial purposes.

Since it is odorless, it is most likely urine leaking. It sounds like it could be spay incontinence. A trip to the vet just to be sure is probably your best bet to rule out bladder infection/stones.
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby kairosdreaming » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I'm going to start searching for a new vet today and keep a close eye on her.
kairosdreaming
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Sounds more like it could be spay incontinence!! And yes, in the beginning it will appear to be oderless. She may also have had an incomplete spay! That does happen! You will need to have the vet check to see what she actually is leaking. Spay incontinence is treatable although what you use is dependent on a few things. I had one that had it and we used DES however as I was past child bearing years, it was safe for me. That is an issue as DES is dangerous for humans!

You might want to consider a better food too if you can afford it. What you are feeding is basically junk food. If you can manage it, try Purina ProPlan or Purina ONE. Both are better than what you are giving her. She needs something that is a bit higher in calorie as she is from high energy breeds. You can suppliment with table scrapes that are meat and veggies as long as it is no more than 1/4 of what she is fed. It will be better for her....

Welcome to the board!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby kairosdreaming » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:36 pm

She has an appt. with the vet tonight so hopefully they can figure out whatever it is. I won't be able to use DES it sounds like as my fiance and I eventually want to have kids.

We are going to get a better food for her, she came with a big bag of Kibbles and Bits and we tried to mix it with the other food (its advertised as natural and is a little on the higher priced side, I just wish I could remember the name) so it wouldn't upset her stomach with the sudden change. There's a pet store I just found that has some good options as well to change to. I"m not positive but the other stuff may be Lassie Naturals, is it ok?

Thanks for the advice!
kairosdreaming
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:36 am

I have never heard of the Lassie brand food. What country are you in? You can do the gradual change for sure or you can do a 24 hour fast and then start on the new food. That also will work and does not cause upset tummy problems. I tend to use the second method with my girls simply because they are smart enough to pick through their food which caused too many problems. This way worked for me....Depends on your dog!
meezermom

Postby kairosdreaming » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm in the USA in Ohio. I didn't know about the fasting method. I think I'll find a new food and give that a try. Its really hard to get her to change, one of her previous owners didn't feed her any dog food, only table scraps, and she's developed some really bad habits (you may remember us from the Dog overexcited around other dogs thread :-).

We took her to the vet last night, she may have just a bit of incontinence that's been irritated by an over intake of water from eating snow, ice, etc. when she's in the dog park and shes not properly diluting her urine. The vet gave us some medicine to help with the incontinence and hopes by Spring she'll be able to get her off of it. Other than a stiff left leg we're going to have to watch she's perfectly healthy otherwise. :D
kairosdreaming
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 pm

You aren't that far from me and I have never heard of the lassie brand!! Go ahead and try to switch her...if you can, try the ProPlan with the chicken bits in it... It was the only one I could get my difficult eater to switch to.....
meezermom

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers