Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Loss of mobility in my puppies hind legs - NEED HELP QUICKLY : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Loss of mobility in my puppies hind legs - NEED HELP QUICKLY

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Loss of mobility in my puppies hind legs - NEED HELP QUICKLY

Postby Maisy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:04 pm

My 12 week old chocolate lab has suddenly lost most of the use of her hind legs. This started Saturday morning at 6:00am, and she continues to worsen. Have been to the Vet Hospital 3 times, and they can't figure it out. X-rays were taken of her pelvis and legs, and everything looks good. Blood work was done, and her liver, kidneys and other vital organs are functioning fine. She has vomitted twice, but she continues to do her deed outside. Most of the time she has no energy at all, and all she wants to do is curl up in a ball and sleep. I keep trying to play with her, rub her and try to get her motivated, and it will work for a while, but then she just wants to sleep. When she musters the strength to get up, she walks sideways and falls down. I'm at a total loss, because she didn't fall down and hurt herself, didn't eat anything she shouldn't have.

Has anyone ever experienced this with their puppy, and if so, what did you do? I'm afraid we're going to lose her, and I just can't deal with that.

Thanks,
TA
Maisy
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:11 pm

Did they not X-ray the dogs spine for a disc problem? When they ran the blood work, did they include the tests for any of the tick borne diseases?

Was she checked for any nurological problems? Are her eyes vibrating ie: darting sideways?
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Maisy » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:39 pm

The x-rays they took Saturday evening were of her chest (you could see her ribs), her pelvis and legs. She is at the Vet right now with my husband and they are going to take more x-rays. I will call him and ask that they x-ray the spine for a disc problem. My husband informed me that she is now having a problem using her front legs. She can barely stand up, and when she does, she falls right back down. They are going to do more blood work, and I'll ask him if any of the blood work that was done on Saturday included a test for tick borne diseases. If not, they could do that today. Her eyes are not darting from side to side. The Vet she is with right now is quite stumped as well. He said this is something she was born with. The blood work may take 2 days to get back, so we are crossing our fingers something shows up that can be treated quickly. I'm afraid time is running out for her.
Maisy
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:49 am

Have you called the breeder? Or was this some BYB that doesn't care? If it was a reputable breeder they would want to know & may be able to shed some light on this. Did the vet say what he thought it would be that she was born with? Please let us know what happens. Paws crossed for the puppy.
suebgone

Postby Maisy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Yes, we contacted the breeder, and it turns out she had 3 ticks on her before we picked her up. Shame on the breeder for not telling us this. All of her symptoms lean towards Lyme Disease. The Vet drew enough blood yesterday to test for Lyme Disease and also West Nile, but we are definitely leaning towards it being Lyme Disease. Treatable with antibiotics, but we need to get her on them quickly. The acute onset of lameness is exactly what she has, and a loss of appetite. She's heading back to the Vet this morning, so keep your paws crossed that we can get this little cutie on the road to recovery. Thanks for your support and suggestions.
Maisy
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:04 pm

Am so glad they FINALLY got a handle on it. Honestly, that should have been done in the beginning. I can't believe they did bloodwork but not for the tick borne diseases, nor that they didn't X-ray her spine. You are REALLY going to have to stay on this vet. I think I'd be finding a new one. There are other tick borne diseases & you don't have to live in the Rocky Mts. to get Rocky Mt Spotty fever.

Doxycline is usually the preferred antibiotic, with amoxi running second. In either event I would get this dog on some form of probiotics - yogurt or something to help prevent a yeast infection starting.

I would also talk to your vet (!) about starting her on glucosimine, chondroiten, msm & Ester C to help her joints recover from this. I'd probably keep her on it the rest of her life. Keep us posted.
suebgone

Postby Maisy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:15 pm

Yes, I think we will be finding a new Vet. It's frustrating when you have to demand to have something done. We talked to the Vet and he gave us Amoxicillan for her to take. He said he can't prescribe the other stronger antibiotics (Penicillan, Tetracyclene or Arythromiacin (sp?) just yet because she is so young. When the test results come back, if she does have Lyme Disease (or Barn Tick Disease as it's called in our state), then he can start her on one of the stronger antibiotics. She's a stubborn little thing, so I just know she's going to pull through. We will definitely talk to this Vet, or a new one, about starting her on the medicines you mentioned to help her joints. I'll keep you posted on her recovery.
Maisy
Dog Loving Active Member

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers