Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
my dog can't move her back legs! Help : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

my dog can't move her back legs! Help

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

my dog can't move her back legs! Help

Postby guest » Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 pm

A couple of days ago, my dog couldn't move her back legs and she was drooling quite a bit, we do not have a vet in our area (we live in a remote community). She has now lost her appetite as well.
Rabies has been considered and she is confined at the moment but we are able to approach to feed and give her drinks but she is still the same. She may have had access to raw meat prior to this as we have noticed her with raw meat on a couple of occassions. A bug? parasite?
Any ideas, suggestions.

thanks

Postby LabLover » Thu May 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Hi!, I would suggest that even though it might be far, take your dog to a vet as soon as you can. Vet treatment and diagnosis are very important in this kind of case. :idea:
LabLover

Postby suebgone » Fri May 26, 2006 2:12 am

No one can diagnos the dogs problem over the internet. You will need blood work & X-rays at a minimum. You are wise to recognize the possibility of rabies as a possibility.

Where would she be getting raw meat? You mean wildlife she may have killed?

She really needs to get to a vet. Please keep us posted
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

My dog can't move her back legs. HELP! cont.

Postby guest » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:17 pm

Two days ago we were able to take our dog to the vet, they told us she had hookworms, her temperature was 39, im not sure if thats normal, they put her on antibiotics(amoxcillin) and worm medicine. THey gave us special food to give our dog and she just gobbled it all down. She slept most of the afternoon looking fine and comfortable, then we left for the evening, and when we came back she had vomited in her cage, and when we put her outside to go to the washroom, when we were about to bring her back in, she was layingon the ground, she looked like she wanted to get up but she looked as if she was unable to get up, you could tell because her legs were moving, she remained like that for a while until she was finally able to sit up. We were supposed to be coming back to our home town today so we called the vet again, and they said we would be able to leave her there for a few days. We were glad of this because they would know more about how to properly treat her, and she looked like she was in no traveling condition. In the morning she was still vomiting a little bit, but she was a bit more energetic than the day before as she was able to walk a bit more. Right now she is at the vets and when we checked up a while ago they said that they did some blood tests and she has a high white blood count, tomorrow they will be doing xrays to see whats wrong. Our dog though while trying to let her walk into the vets, drags herself along, on her stomach with her two front legs, she is still very shaking when she walks. Is there another reason for this that isnt just the worms? The vet said she didnt think she had a bad hip after feeling it and no signs of constipation even though our dog hasnt been pooping. I think she just hasnt been pooping though because she cant stand for very long. Well I'll leave you with this, pretty lot of information and see what your ideas are. We will keep you posted.

Postby suebgone » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:44 am

Hookworms never paralyzed a dog. I seriously doubt her temp was only 39. I believe she would have been dead with that low a temp. Normal is 101 - 102o. There seems to be some missing links here.

If she was given a lot of food after not eating for some time, that could have caused her to vomit.

Are they testing for the tickborne diseases? Lyme & Rocky mt spotted fever?

She wasn't pooping because she hadn't eaten.

Please keep us posted.
suebgone

Postby guest » Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:16 pm

No she was not tested for those diseases yet, there are different ways to measure temperature, they must have used a different way from you. I think they measured in degrees celcius not ferenheiht. Would a form of cancer or a tumor cause her pain or trouble in her hind legs?

Postby suebgone » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:52 pm

Ah yes, you are probably correct about the temp.

A disc problem or tumor on the spine, the tick diseases - I don't understand what this vet is doing. He did blood work but not for the tick diseases? No X-rays yet?

The high white count indicates an infection or certain kinds of cancer are a possibility. Is your dog spayed? If not it could easily be a pyometra which is a raging infection in the uterus.

I think this vet is really dragging his feet.
suebgone

Postby guest » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:18 pm

The x-rays were done now, and they found the she has a fractured pelvis, she probably got hit by a car, the vet said to keep her in her cage for 8 weeks and dont let her move too much and hopefully it will heal, and after she got rid of her worms, our dog is pretty much bak to normal, except she threw up once, yesterday, could she be still healing from the worm? but our dog wants to be active and she wants to move around, explore and such, wouldnt keeping her in a cage for 2 months make her depressed? we'll keep keeping you posted. Oh, and yes our dog is spayed.

Postby guest » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:14 pm

our dog finished her pills the vet gave her two days ago and she is getting worse again, she hasnt eaten or drank either in those two days. Could the worms done a lot of damage that without pills she gets worse? What other things could this mean?

Postby suebgone » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:39 am

The cure for a broken pelvis IS cage rest. That is the only way to fix it. I don't have a lot of faith in this vet unless you were not allowing him to do things because of the cost.

The worms should be gone, depending on what he gave you. It is highly doubtful they did any damage causing any of her other problems.

I would get her on the glucosimine, chondroiten, MSM. Here is some info for you.

http://www.biosynergy.com/GCMSM.htm
suebgone

we did some x-rays and found some interesting things

Postby guest » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:41 pm

we took some x-rays of our dog, because the vet started to think it was our dogs diaphram, but we found it was intact, but we did find that our dogs stomache is full of air and her estafogus is larger that normal and that her heart is slightly off centre, im sure these are major problems but we dont know what to do, for a while she was unable to eat or drink without throwing up, but now she is able to eat lots of food and keep it down but when she drinks water, she still sounds like shes about to throw up and still does sometimes, she appears to be gettin better though, but shes kinda depressed when shes in the cage. What could be a cause of the heart being slightly off centre? Why could her stomache and estophogus be way larger than normal. They used barium in some of the x-rays and it went all the way through the body but there were about two streaks in the troat, could it be sticky or something?

Postby guest » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:14 pm

i forgot to say that our dog has lost 5 pounds over the last week or two, while she wasnt eating, she feels like bones right now, and her worms are gone, the vet is not sure what is wrong with our dog either just yet, so we are mostly gonna wait and see how it turns out, could it be a disease? or heritary. the mother was a lab/springer x, but im not sure what the father was.

Postby guest » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Our dog is doing alright at the moment, she still vomits now and then, usually once a week or every two weeks. concerning the link suebgone supplied with us earlier http://www.biosynergy.com/GCMSM.htm, could this be given to dogs also, because when we read it, it was about humans. We have her in an area beside the house, where we had her before she was moving around to much even with a short leash, it was around stairs also, when i was checking up on her, i noticed her trying to go up the stairs so i made the leash shorter, then i moved her to a different shot, with her dog house, that was about two days ago, her pelvis is still bad. We cant really keep her inside in her cage because she was getting worse, because to take her to the washroom outside, we had to keep subjecting her to the stairs and noticed she wasnt healing that way. Im mostly wondering if, she was already healing before, then she got worse because of the stairs would she be able to continue to heal? or would she need help this time, from the Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM or another drug?

concern about my dog!!

Postby esparmedic12 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:26 pm

My dog was diagnosied with lymes disease approximately 5 weeks ago. He as put on antibotics for 3 weeks. He was on dermax for 2 weeks and we have started a second round of antibotics a week ago. Two days ago he tried to get up and was unable to move his back legs. Today he is still unable to walk, he has had xrays which showed negitive for any growths. I am wondering if this is all coming from the lymes disease or could it be something else.
esparmedic12

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers