Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
My dog favors right real leg : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

My dog favors right real leg

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

My dog favors right real leg

Postby Baywatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:12 pm

I have a 3 1/2 year old male German Shepherd Dog. His hips were certified OFA good as a pup. Recent x-rays confirm soundness of hips and joints show no evidence of arthritis or ACL problems. Physical exam by Vet with orthopedic specialty gives no evidence of looseness in joints or soreness or muscle pain when manipulated. Paw and between toes were checked for infection, swelling, foreign objects, etc. He continues to favor the leg about half the time. The symptoms are a jerking motion and pulling the leg under his body when walking and carrying the leg when running. These symptoms are not regularly occurring and don't seem to be based on whether or not he is lying on his right or left side beforehand. Half the time the symptoms are totally absent. The vet is mystified. Recently, I've take him to a holistic vet for massage and acupuncture. After four treatments, I haven't noticed any improvement. I've been curtailing his running and even long walks. We have an SUV and he has no difficulty in jumping into the back. Otherwise, he doesn't seem to hesitate in doing any of the things he did before the onset of this problem. I welcome any thoughts or recommendations.
Baywatcher
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Re: My dog favors right real leg

Postby meezermom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

Did they check his knees?? Sounds more like he has a torn knee joint than a hip problem. Also, be aware that while he is OFA certified, he could have pulled the hip joint out and it went back in but is now painful...Did the vet do an xray?

For now, I would definitely stop him from jumping into the car. Use a ramp. He might as well get used to it as the joints on our shepherds could do better! How is his weight? You do want to keep him lean. Many people who see a shepherd of proper weight think they are thin but they are a very muscular dog...

It is a possibility there is panno but if he never had it before, it is not real likely. Many vets insist you won't see it at this age but it can show up. It's rare but not unheard of. However, panno is painful and if he is showing no signs of pain, it is unlikely to be the problem. In all honesty, it sounds like the knee, possibly a torn meniscus that is small.. Enough to be a bother but difficult to find.

Have you got him started on glucosamine/MSM? If not, consider starting him soon. It will help.
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Re: My dog favors right rear leg

Postby Baywatcher » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Thank you for your reply. Actually, the knee joint has been the focus of the exams and x-rays. The initial thought was a torn cruciate ligament or meniscus, but there are no symptoms of these. No looseness of the joint, no popping or clicking and no pain at all. And, more than half of the time his gait is normal. When it's not it looks exactly like the gait of a dog with a ruptured ACL.
Baywatcher
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Re: My dog favors right real leg

Postby meezermom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:03 pm

It could be a very small tear. Best thing to do right now is cut his activity level way back. No running and definitely no jumping. Encourage him to take it easy and watch Animal Planet for awhile....dogs love it! If it is a real small tear, it will heal with rest. At this point, that is all you can do unless you want to have a CT or MRI done...both are costly.... not even sure if anything would show up on a sonogram...
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers