Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
My puppy is now approx. 15 wks, we got him at 10 weeks. About two weeks ago he started sneezing, had runny nose, and runny eyes. We took him to the vet last week and they said he had congestion and a fever. He was given an antibiotic shot, b-12 shot, and daily antibiotics to take home. Approx. three days ago he started having a twitching in his front legs and chest and had a serious loss of appetite. We took him back to the vet yesterday (day 2) and they said he prob. had an inner ear infection and it might be pressing on nerves that were causing the twitching. He was given another antibiotic shot, b-12 shot, pain and antinflamatory shot as well as an additional antibiotic medication to add to the other daily pills and the liquid form of the pain/antinflamitory inj. that he could also take daily (metacam). The vet also suggested bloodwork and I consented to a cbc to begin with. Just after leaving the vet yesterday the winning got louder and developed into a SCREAM, and yellping. It was horrible. We called the vet to see if we could give him anything else for pain but didn't get a hold of him until later that night. I gave him a baby aspirin and don't laugh, ear drops that are used for infants for ear aches. The yelping/screaming and twitches continued and got worse all night and until this morning. The doctor did call last night and said it was ok that we gave the aspirin but that it wouldn't help as much as the metacam. I waited until about 2 am and gave him the metacam since the last dose of aspirin was given at 7:30 pm. I called the vet this am and told him that the twitching and yelping/screaming were non-stop and that he didn't sleep all night. I was told to bring him in agin, and I did. The vet looked at his ear agin and said that the fluid was worse and that he needed to puncture the eardrum and release the fluid. I said ok and we left him there for the procedure. During that visit the Dr. got the results of the bloodwork back and said the white count was high. This is indicative of an infection. Our puppy was tranquilized and we left. Later today the vet called and told us the proceedure went fine and that he had thought of something else. He wondered if the dog could have bacterial meningitis. He explained that he had suspected it and decided to do a spinal tap. The fluid had blood in it and he THOUGHT it contained white blood cells. I concented to him sending the blood off for a proper exam and haven't heard back yet. Here is my question: Has anyone heard of these symptoms or experienced this with their pet. He has had a fever of 102.8 for approx. a week, twitching/muscle spasm that have gotten progressively worse over a three day period, and progressively worse wining/yelping/screaming. He also became completely unconsolable last night. He did urinate on himself. Many times when he tried to walk he would hunch up, fall over, stumble, and collapse (not always at the same time). Ok, sorry about the book I have written, I just wanted to get all the details possible. Please let me know if you have any info. Thanks!
That's a tuff one. I never seen it for myself.
Here is some meningitis info http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/canine-dog-healt ... in_dog.htm
and some Dog illness Diagnosis http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/first_diagnosis.htm and http://www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/symptoms_of_pain.htm
Here is info on collapse.
My dog had a collapse when returning from a walk, b ... Things other than Dog Epilepsy can cause for collapse, specially in braquicefallic breeds like the ...
Dog Fainting or collapse
Important information about Dog Fainting or collapse and a site that will help you better understand your dog.
Dog collapse can be traumatic for the owner but here you will find out what to do and how to help your dog so that you will not be unaware.
Illness to consider:
Puppy Septicemia: Signs of respiratory involvement + fever, cough, nasal flow, fast noisy breathing. Loss appetite, vomiting, weakness, dehydratation.
I would look for another Vet. Do you have access to another Vet?
Last edited by Luba Puppy on Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests