Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Spay Incontinence? : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Spay Incontinence?

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Spay Incontinence?

Postby kjadnmutts » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:04 pm

So, Sam, my son's GSD/Blue Heeler has gone through spay surgery twice (because the shelter told us she wansn't spayed and our vet didn't notice until she couldn't find the uterus) and now I think there may be some incontinence issues. She is doing great in the potty training for the most part and pees and poops on command. But over time I have noticed that sometimes after she is in one area for a while she leaves behand a wet spot where her hind quarters have been. Yesterday after a day of swimming and then going to the dog park she was pretty pooped out. On the way back from the park we noticed that she was dripping. I don't think this happens all the time but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this and if so, what helps?
Our vet said (after the second spay-not-spay surgery) that Sam must have been very young when she was spayed because there was no visible scar inside or out.
kjadnmutts
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Re: Spay Incontinence?

Postby flkiwi2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 am

My last dog had the same problem, but, I must say, she was awfully older than Sam. Just give your vet a yell, check out that its not an UTI, but more likely its something to do with hormones and the vet will give her some pills that will knock it on the head straight away, its really not a big deal. Yeah, you must feel a bit like me at times, if its not one thing, then it's another!
cheers
flkiwi2

Postby meezermom » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:23 am

My Tasha has it and it is a pain in the butt but it does upset and humiliate her a great deal! I had never heard of it before so was quite surprised when she got it. She was spayed at 7 months and developed it within a few months. Tasha is on DES which is made for her by a compounding pharmacy. It does a perfect job. She takes two pills a week and does not have any problems at all.. There is something else than can be used but from what I understand, does not work as well. Talk to your vet about it...You want to be sure it is not a UTI but most likely, you are looking at spay incontinence. Treating it is a life long deal.
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby kjadnmutts » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:18 am

I suspect it's spay incontinence. It seems to be stress related. She seems to only have it under stress or exhaustion (like Sunday).
We will bring it up to the vet but I'm going to wait and see if it is a regular issue. I hate to put her on hormones long-term (this is probably my own issue as a hormonal woman) unless it is a real problem.
I read on another post about a therapy that helps to build the pelvic/bladder-area muscles for this problem. It involves tail-wagging. Is this a crock or has anyone heard of this?
kjadnmutts

Postby meezermom » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:20 pm

The tail wagging is a crock!! The spay incontinence will only continue to get worse and I know Tasha was very upset about it...The DES was given once a week for years but as she got older and other things started to happen, we increased her to twice a week. I get mine through Foster and Smith and the price is quite reasonable and it is so worth it... The amount of actual drug is quite small....Tasha has never developed any type of tumor or other problems because of it....Give it some thought and do some research on it....

Try not to connect her problems with your worries..It will not increase her chances of getting breast cancer or anything at all like that...
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers