Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Weeping eyes : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Weeping eyes

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Weeping eyes

Postby jaxangel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi all.
Been some time since I have posted but life got quite chaotic for a while. Things have settled now. Today's issue is my boy has for the last month had weeping eyes.
Did the right thing and took him to a vet within a week of this problem starting. Vet said to clean the eyes twice daily and apply Polysporin for eyes.
Did this for a week and they cleared up. About a week later they started weeping again. Did the same treatment for 4 days and they cleaned up again.
It has started again and I do not know if I should keep up with the polysporin treatment. Don't think long term use is good.
Someone told me that dogs can have allergies and this may be what is happening. Is this true?
The fluid leaking is clear but he is starting to get sore spots around the eyes from being constantly wet. Have been cleaning the eyes night and day with warm water and soft cloth and this seems to help somewhat.
Any advice, help would be greatly appreciated. Will try to attach pics.
Thanks in advance
Jaxangel
gunnereye.JPG
gunnereye.JPG (14.43 KiB) Viewed 908 times
jaxangel
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Re: Weeping eyes

Postby meezermom » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:16 pm

I would call the vet back and request an antibiotic for his eyes.....It is possible there is a scratch on the cornea that is not healing and that could be causing some of this and even much exposure to dust will cause weeping eyes. However, the vet should take this a bit more seriously as it is not stopping. I can't remember the name of the one med but your vet will.....
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Dobestud » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Are his eyes red? Is he squinting?

If not and the discharge is always clear, it's most likely a tear duct obstruction. Your vet can test this by applying a dye in his eyes and seeing if it appears in his sinus.
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby jaxangel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:22 am

Thanks for the reply Meesermom and Dobestud.
Meeser you are always so wise. I don't know if you remember me but I am the one with the 2 white shepherds.
Dobestud thanks for the reply. His eyes are not red and he does not squint. It does not seem to bother him but the sight of below his eyes so raw disturbs me.
The fluid is clear, no discoloration. I have been cleaning his eyes morn and evening with a soft warm cloth and applying polysporin for eyes at night. Seem to be getting a little better but now the problem is my girl is in heat and he has lost his doggy mind, doing anything to him right now is virtually impossible.
He's acting like a 20 year old at closing time.....one thing on his mind minus the alchol!!!
I called the vet and will be getting him back in on Friday for a followup. Will keep you posted.
Thanks again for the advice!!! LOVE THIS SITE!!! Always wise, friendly, helpful people.
Regards,
Jaxangel
jaxangel

Postby jaxangel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 am

P.S.
Sorry forgot to ask, if it is a tear duct obstruction how would this happen and how is it treated?
Thanks,
Jaxangel
jaxangel

Postby Dobestud » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:30 pm

There can be many causes to tear duct blockage.
Most likely in your situation it was caused by a scratch on the cornea as meezermom suggested or exposure to forein matter. (smoke, dust, soaps, chemicals)
There could be other causes but the above two are most common. As for treatment, it will depend on the cause.

You vet will be better able to figure out what caused it if it is the reason for his eye weeping.
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Of course I remember you!! Nothing quite like a guy with one thing on his mind!! We may be getting some white puppies out of a new breeding and the delivery date is near....should be interesting! The dad is full brother to Skylar and he is quite the character! Right now we have a number of silver sables and some coated puppies! We have not had that in some time so it is a real treat! They are the cutest puppies.....Hope he is okay and if his fur gets badly discolored, use Show Eyes after the vet figures out what is wrong.....let us know !
meezermom

Postby jaxangel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Got to love a sire who smells a bitch in heat!! What a ham!!! Love his little mating dance!
The guttural crying I could do without tho. Not much sleep happening in this house the last 2 nights.
Will keep you posted on the eyes.
Thanks again.
Meeser good news on the pups. If not too much trouble please post some pics, would love to see them. Can't wait to have pups in the house again.
One of the babies went to my nephew so I see her quite regular and she is a beauty. Will attach a pic, her name is Kaley.
Jaxangel
kaley.JPG
kaley.JPG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 855 times
jaxangel

Postby Dobestud » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:55 am

Kaley is a beauty! I agree with Jaxangel, when you have pups meezer you must show off!
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby jaxangel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:16 am

Hi meeser and dobestud.
As suspected a minor eye infection. Antibiotics seem to be clearing it up and he looks much better today!
Thanks for the advice and help!
Angel is out of heat now and hopefully she caught. Should be able to tell in a few weeks...VERY EXCITING!
Can't wait for pups again. Have 3 potentially pre-sold as I ran out of pups last litter before I ran out of buyers! What a wonderful problem to have!!
Will keep you posted.
Thanks again
Jaxangel
jaxangel

Postby meezermom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:37 pm

She is quite a beauty! Really snowy white and very happy looking.....

Hey guys, remember, I work WITH a breeder so the puppies aren't mine. We do get puppies as the kennel is rather good sized and right now, we could do without a number of the problems of a hobby kennel. Too many of our older dogs are living the good life. We are at 60%+ of the dogs we have right now are retired breeders. They are very difficult to place and we are very hard to please when placing them. It used to be farmers in the area always knew if they want one or two for farm dogs, they could come and ask and we were happy to let them go as it is a great life for a retired breeder. However, not many farmers anymore! The ones who want them now are pit fighters and there is no way we will let them go. They are contacting us and we are turning them over to the police however, now we have to have the police swing by to check the kennel to be sure the dogs are safe. We are being threatened because we will not turn over the dogs to the pit fighters!! The law also is getting worse and worse.....in this state, they want to stop all breeding! Unfortunately, people do not always see the difference between a legitimate show/hobby kennel and a puppy mill. To many, it should be backyard or "homebred" dogs and they can't see where that is not good either. The woman who started this kennel is a retired vet and has been breeding for about 35 years. I got involved about 10 years ago. We are trying to reduce the size of the kennel but refuse to destroy our retired dogs and that is what many feel we should do. And on the other hand, you have people who say a good breeder will take back a puppy they bred regardless of the age! I wonder if people honestly think that through! We had someone call and ask us to take back the "puppy" we sold them as they could no longer care for him. Actually the "puppy" was 11 years old and the kids were grown and going off to college and the parents didn't want to bother having the dog around anymore! That dog gave them everything he had all those years and they wanted to return him like junk because he was old and the kids weren't there anymore.

And of course there are those who feel all who breed pedigree dogs should be shut down. After all, there are plenty of good dogs in shelters right?? Doesn't matter what people want and you are not supposed to have the right to get what you want, you have to take someone else's problems. Some shelters do get some nice dogs but many don't. It comes down to responsible breeding. For us, it is a major interview process and no one can just show up with money and take a puppy. It's a labor of love and making darn sure our puppies go to great homes. We send our puppies to show, breeding and companion homes. We provide training experience and our puppy parents can contact us at any time if there is a problem or they need help and we are there.
meezermom

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers