Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Whats wrong with my dog? - Temporary loss of motor control : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Whats wrong with my dog? - Temporary loss of motor control

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Whats wrong with my dog? - Temporary loss of motor control

Postby Midnite » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:11 am

I will try to make this quick but detailed.

I have a dog about 3 years old. g.shepherd/collie mix.

About a week ago he was laying on the foot of the bed while I was reading, had been sleeping for a couple of hours. He got up and sort of stumbled to the edge of the bed and tumbled off. I got up as he was kind of knocking around... he had lost coordination and was attempting to "swim" with all 4 legs toward the door. He could barely stand. He was shaking slightly and appeared disoriented.

After a few minutes he seemed to come out of it, although it was a few more minutes before he seemed to regain his coordination.

I took him to the vet the next day who physically checked him over. Gums looked fine, no tenderness in the abdomen. He felt he was most likely too young to have something like a tumor and said most things other than epilepsy have other symptoms. He said it would not surprise him to see it again but unless it became very often, or long duration we should probabaly not worry. He did not do any blood tests or anything of that nature as he did not feel it was necessary.

Just an hour or so ago it happened again, this time he was behind the couch out of sight for an hour or so (A common place for him) and he came running/stumbling out and I could see that it was happening again from his movement (running sideways and falling into the couch edge, etc)

I got him to lie still and after a minute or 2 he was fine. He did not seem so loopy this time as he attempted to come to me while I called him and was trying to crawl into my lap during the fit.

My roommate mentioned that he may have been chewing on the window seal, there is some woodchip evidence that this could be. The window was previously chewed on quite a bit by the previous owner's dog.

This has me worried for several reasons, the previous owner is my girlfriends brother, he lived here for years with his 2 dogs but for this I just want to focus on the greyhound that liked to chew. A year or 2 after moving into his brand new home and selling us this one he came home to find his greyhound dead. I was told they had found a tumor.

Could I be missing an environmental issue that the vet may not know to look for, could his symptoms be something other than a seizure?

I am not really sure what to look for but wanted to gather more advice on the matter. Our house is fairly old, I have no idea if the paint is lead based or what the symptoms would be.

Any advice given is appreciated.

Josh
Midnite

Postby meezermom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:17 am

Josh, sounds very much like that could be lead based paint! 3 years is a bit on the upper side for the start of epilepsy but not unheard of... This is definitely neurological though.......I know you really want to hear this but can you remove the paint on the window sills or remove the window sills and replace them?? If you decide to, do read up on how to remove lead based paints!! As there was another dog that lived in that house, chewed that area and died from something unknown, I would give that some serious thought. It is also possible your dog had a mini-stroke.. Did he lose control of bowels or bladder? Right now, I am honest, it very much sounds like lead poisoning.......you might want to google it and see what comes up! Good luck and let us know what goes on........
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Thanks

Postby Midnite » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:26 am

I tried google but it mostly turned up vomiting and such as he does from time to time, but I did not see seizure like symptoms or his loss of coordination.

He does vomit but not that often, at most maybe once every 2-4 weeks if that. Usually its maybe twice in a day and then nothing for a month or something.

If it was lead poisoning would it have stayed with that other dog so long to kill him a year or more after he moved into a brand new home?

I can try to have him tested for it. Do you not think treating the seals with something unpleasant and watching them for signs of additional chewing or removing his access altogether would do it? At the least I could try to have them tested for lead 1st. I am just not sure if I was working down a right direction based on his symptoms.

Feel free to add, and thank you. As an aside its possible we end up moving soon, Is it something he would likely fully recover from as someone would a bad cold if removed from the contaminant or is it something that stays with you as more of a permanent debilitation.

Josh
Midnite

Postby meezermom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:31 am

Josh, from what I understand, lead poisoning can remain in the system. However, I am not a vet or a dr....Yes, you can try spraying the sills with Bitter Apple and see if it helps. If it keeps him away from it and the problem continues, it might be something else! Now, as it is an old house, by any chance, do you have mice?? If so, could he be catching them and having a "meal on the run"?? so to speak? Don't get grossed out, they will eat a mouse if they can catch one... Mice are not just for cats you know! Do you have mouse or rat poison down? What about stuff for roaches? Any of those things can be harmful to your dog... Hey, I had a really old house and I know how things came in...it was in NYC so trust me, you had to do something about the roaches or they beat you up :shock: It may also just be a late starting epilepsy which is NOT anything to worry about. If it is, as the seizures started so late and are so infrequent, he can be medicated successfully and without any worries.
meezermom

Thanks again

Postby Midnite » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:39 am

I will check into having his blood tested for lead, as far as mice we do see them on some rare occasions but not too often. I dont believe I have ever seen a roach here. We have some traps set but only in the last couple weeks because we have seen one mouse and its been killed and none seen since. The dog acts as our shadow and there is usually someone home, if he got a mouse I think 80% or more chance we would know of it.

There are no poisons laid out for any kind of pests though so I doubt thats the issue.

My previous home (prior to this dog) had mice and there are usually plenty of signs, I think we just had one get in recently is all.

Thank you for the ideas, if you have more to contribute or anyone else they are very appreciated.
Midnite

Postby Coconuts » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:52 am

We made chili and rubbed the pepper tops on the corner of the ledge that Vader chewed, and he hasn't touched it since (but be careful!).

Also, from what I've heard, lead paint has a sweet taste that appeals to dogs. :(
Coconuts
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby suebgone » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:02 am

It certainly sounds like seizures to me, which can be caused by any number of things. Here is some info

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... cleid=1522
suebgone

Postby Tepsh4 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 pm

Tepsh4
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby Tepsh4 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:08 pm

Tepsh4
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers