Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Yorkie-poo snorting??? : General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Yorkie-poo snorting???

Dogs like humans may have health problems to which you have questions. You are the one that has to identify the issues, symptoms and get solutions. Share your views here.

Yorkie-poo snorting???

Postby traceybuchholz » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:27 pm

I have a 6 month old Yorkie poo that has just started this snorting thing. It's like she's trying to throw up & catch air all at the same time. I've been told that Toy breeds have lots of problems. I'm wondering is this something that my yorkie poo will have for the rest of her life? She's also getting her teeth so i'm woundering if her teeth have anything to do with it. She only snorts when she wakes up or is playing. It's starting to happen more & more. The good thing is she's not sick because her activity level is still high. What is wrong with my baby? Please help!
traceybuchholz
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby bradfran » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:43 pm

Have your vet check her sinus. The breeds which mostly have breathing problems are the short snouted breeds (pugs, pekinese, bulldogs, etc) because the nasal cavity is so short. They have the exact same number of teeth, sinuses, nasal tissue etc, but it is in a smaller area, all smashed together. So have your vet check out her nasal passage. He may also need to do an x-ray on her teeth and jaws, if a tooth is coming in wrong she could have swelling and/or an infection that could affect her breathing.
bradfran
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby suebgone » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:01 am

Yorkies are notorious for collapsing tracheas. It could also be reverse sneezing. Here is a site with lots of Yorkie info to help you. The luxating patellas are also found a lot in poodles so you can just about expect that to happen since you have a mix of the two.

I would recommend you not use a collar on your dog but get a properly fitting harness with a V neck so as not to apply pressure to the trachea.

http://yorkshire-terrier.com/lacy/medical.htm
suebgone

Postby gaeabird » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:21 pm

Hopefully, the snorting is just caused by an irritant in the nasal passages and could easily be snorted out.
Could the snorting be a "honking" cough? This kind of cough could be a symptom of a collapsing trachea, as previoulsy posted. One can usually illicit this cough by gently applying pressure on the trachea.
Could the snorting, as you described -- It's like she's trying to throw up & catch air -- be a hacking cough? This kind of cough maybe caused by different things. It maybe Kennel COugh (does your Yorkie Poo come into contact with other dogs, eg groomers, board kennels etc?) or not to scare you, a heart problem, however, this is usually seen in older dogs.
gaeabird
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:23 pm

My Yorkie-Poo has recently been making the same noise.

It sounds like she's trying to hack up a hair ball but nothing comes out.

It's been happening a bit more frequently in the last week so I'm going to keep an eye on it and take her to the doctor to get checked o ut. :cry:

Postby Lindsay » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 pm

Yes, take her into the Vet. Hopefully it's as simple as a reverse sneeze. ;)

Please let us know what you find out.
Lindsay

Return to General Dog Health Problems -Questions and Answers