Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
What is the best surface for a dog run? Dog Kennel Floor. : General Dog Supplies. How-to & reviews
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

What is the best surface for a dog run? Dog Kennel Floor.

Comments and questions about products you know or want to know.

What is the best surface for a dog run? Dog Kennel Floor.

Postby Rayjay » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:10 am

I am installing a dog run on the side of the house. Currently it is bare dirt, dusty in the summer and muddy in the winter months. I am looking for any suggestions on a good surface for our two Jack Russels.

Thanks
Ray
Rayjay
Teen Puppy Dog Member

run

Postby suebgone » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:37 am

Concrete is by far the best. Much easier to clean & sanitize & they can't dig. Stone is very hard to pick & almost impossible to clean & you have to replenish the stone at least once a year. You are going to cover over the top I hope? But why would you put JRT's outside?
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Dog Kennel Run

Postby Luba Puppy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:55 am

http://www.classypetshop.com has some good stuff
Luba Puppy
Site Admin

Dog run flooring

Postby judygoldfarb » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:30 pm

I, too, am installing a dog run outside attached to my house. I was thinking of putting in chicken wire underneath crushed granite and compacting it. It would leave good drainage for the rain and urine. I've heard of putting a concrete slab, but where does the urine go? Wouldn't it just sit there and the dog would step in it and get it's paws all dirty?
judygoldfarb
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby suebgone » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:50 pm

Normally a dog will not walk through it. You should also have the concrete slanted just a tad so that when you hose it out the water goes out.

The top should be covered over so rain wouldn't be an issue. When you use something like that where the urine seeps down into it - you can never overcome the smell.

Are you saying the dog will go into the run directly from the house - at will?
suebgone

Postby bradfran » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:43 am

Gravel is bad because of the difficulty in cleaning and dogs may ingest gravel and may be dug through, sand and dirt also hard to clean and can be dug through. Wood is horrible because it will absord urine and moisture from feces, they can chew through it and get bad digestive problems (and poisoning if it's treated or stained).

If you absolutely have to keep them in a kennel (I personally dont like it, just my personal opinion and I dont/wont try to force it because I understand there are situations) use smooth concrete, have it poored at an angle as mentioned. It will be easy to clean, they wont dig or chew it, and water will run off easily instead of pooling or absorbing.

Also provide some sort of shade besides the dog house. Concrete will absorb and reflect a lot of heat from sunlight.
bradfran

Postby LabLover » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:45 am

I used cement blocks. They work well because they can't dig through them and if they pee it goes through the cracks. And it's easy to clean with bleach.
LabLover

Re: Dog run flooring

Postby Husky » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:42 pm

I, too, had installed a dog run. But I built it before reading this site, which I regret. I built a plywood platform because of the current terrain where I needed to place it. I knew I had to protect the wood but wasn't sure if there was any type of wood sealer safe for dogs. So I installed some horse stall mats to cover the plywood. It will be a somewhat temporary home til I can afford place a concrete slab. My question: Is it safe to use cement board for the flooring?
Husky
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby suebgone » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:11 am

Husky, you should have really started your own "new topic" as this one is very old.

What is cement board?
suebgone

Cement backer board

Postby Husky » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:35 pm

suebgone wrote:Husky, you should have really started your own "new topic" as this one is very old.

What is cement board?

I was thinking of using the cement backer board you would use for bathtub was tiling, but I am not sure if it is safe for my dog. Now I am thinking of using a rubberized coating like the one used for truck bed lining.
Husky
Teen Puppy Dog Member

floors

Postby lovemyhusky » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:40 pm

Husky,

I hope by your name you are also a Husky owner as I am. If you're still inquiring about floors, I would highly suggest VetChoice kennel flooring (I use this as well). It is plastic, non-porous with grooves that allow for urine to flow away from the dog and the poo does not stick to the surface. It is really easy to clean (you pretty much could just use a paper towel and wipe or use a mop). Are you keeping your dog in the yard or in a kennel?
lovemyhusky

Re: Cement backer board

Postby lovemyhusky » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:42 pm

i have photos of it by the way if you're really interested in the investment.

Husky wrote:
suebgone wrote:Husky, you should have really started your own "new topic" as this one is very old.

What is cement board?

I was thinking of using the cement backer board you would use for bathtub was tiling, but I am not sure if it is safe for my dog. Now I am thinking of using a rubberized coating like the one used for truck bed lining.
lovemyhusky

Re: What is the best surface for a dog run? Dog Kennel Floor.

Postby Mr. Rubber » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:53 pm

The best surface for a top notch dog kennel is recycled rubber mats like they use in all the big health clubs and gyms. It is perfect for kennels because it is by nature mold, mildue and microbial resistant. Comes in 4ft. wide rolls which is just about the average width of a standard kennel and wears like iron. Why do you think these health clubs use it! I am a little biased. www.usrubber.com
Mr. Rubber
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby meezermom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:33 am

Mr Rubber, you really should have started your own new topic....this one is so old, no one will probably look at it.....
meezermom

Postby yorkie 1608 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:27 pm

Hey Mr. Rubber, Would you mind sharing some of the folks you know who are using the US Rubber product. We'd like to call them or email to see how it is working for them.
yorkie 1608
NewBorn Puppy Member

Next

Return to General Dog Supplies. How-to & reviews