Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Boy or Girl ? : German Shepherd
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Boy or Girl ?

Discuss issues you have on our German Shepherd forum chat board. We want to gather breed specific chats and discussions here. German Shepherd health issues of health, breed specific training or behavior problems.

Boy or Girl ?

Postby Totores » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:00 am

I'm thinking of getting a new german shepherd pup, my other one died age 3 years old, but this will be covered by another post,

I'm not looking to bread the dog, I need the dog for company as well as guarding the house (don't need a killer dog).

What's the difference between between a male and a female?
(before anybody jumps in, the difference other than the sex)

Thanks
Totores
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Laika » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Alot of this can just be the personality of the dog.

I own a male and a female dog. My male is more curious, likes to play. My female has always been more quiet. She tends to lay around most of the time.

I have noticed most females tend to have less patience. The three I know well have the tendency not to put up with stuff for to long. Sometimes they are a bit "snippy"

Most people like to own female dogs. I personally like males.

When you say "guarding the house" do you mean warning you by barking?
Laika
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Mugsy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:37 pm

There really is no difference at all.

All dogs have their temperament and personality, but gender doesn't effect it.

Just be sure to get the dog trained to help to have a good dog.
Mugsy
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby bradfran » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:50 pm

Mugsy wrote:There really is no difference at all. All dogs have their temperament and personality, but gender doesn't effect it. Just be sure to get the dog trained to help to have a good dog.

This is true! BUT most GSD, Doberman and other people agree that normally males are more comical and carefree/playfull. Females are usually more all business.
bradfran

Boy or Girl

Postby Totores » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:35 pm

To answer the earlier replay, I mean just a little barking when strangers are around.

I just like this bread of dogs and i like the dog to join me for a bit of a walk in the afternoons and have a little patience with my young nices.

I have a question re my other dog Argo who died age 3 ten days ago.

I fed him at 7pm as usual, at 10:30 PM he was barking at the neighbour putting the garbage out as usual I called him he came running to me jumping around as usual (looked normal) 11.30pm I heard him howl twice, i got up to check on him, he was laying on the deck, i thought OK he sattled down, 7AM the next morning I found him dead where i saw him laying down the previous evening.

Is there any condition that GS suffer that may cause this or as i suspect someone gave him something?

Tha local animal society did an autopsy on him and found nothing obvious.
Totores
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby LabLover » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:38 pm

Another difference can be size. Females tend to be smaller than males.
LabLover

Postby Luba Puppy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:24 pm

Difference Between Male or / VS versus Female Dog.
Help make the Difference Between Male or / VS versus Female Dog. Choosing the Right Dog involves your choice of the dog breed but also the dog's gender.
www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/choosing_the_right_dog_-male_o.htm

Buying a Male or Female Dog? There are a lot of things you should consider before buying a dog, and here are some questions you should ask yourself first.
www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/which_is_better__a_male_or_fem.htm

Main differences between the Female Dog and the Male Dog
Dog Breeding Information for Beginners and How to breed dogs. Understand your dog's heat cycles, gestation and biology. From Mating and Conception to puppy ...
www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/dog-breeding/html/main_ ... _the_f.htm

Choosing a Male or Female Dog. Learn more about dog behavior and about each beed's abilities. Understanding breed types will allow you to better train your puppy into a dog that matched ...
www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/dog-behavior/html/choos ... e_dog.html

Male or female dog? More than 100+ dog care tips. From how to choose and train a dog. Equipment & accessory selection, Vet visits and puppy feeding.
www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/male_or_female_dog_.htm

Female and male dogs have different characteristics that must be taken into account before you get a new puppy dog.
www.k9puppydogs.com/dog-discussion-forum/html/female_and_male_dogs.htm
Luba Puppy
Site Admin

Postby dogzone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:09 pm

My male is much more down to business. He is much more intense and really his only goal in life is to work. He plays alot yes....but he is very very business like.

My females although they are business like, they are less so. They tend to be more quiet and much more content to relax with us. They are much more family orientated...not that my male is not family. He is excellent with my kids but he tends to go more to the adults. Where as my ladies are much more interested in watching over the kids.

I have to agree though...personality, drives, temperment....makes no difference whether male or female....

Females do tend to be slightly smaller in size then males...depending on the female.
dogzone
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby Mugsy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:27 pm

bradfran: "Females are usually more all business."

Well they have to be or nothing would ever get done. :wink:
Mugsy

Postby dogzone » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 pm

Mugsy wrote:
bradfran: "Females are usually more all business."

Well they have to be or nothing would ever get done. :wink:

Ain't that the truth?

:lol:
dogzone

Postby bookert » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:28 pm

Totores - I read your question on your young german shepherd that passed. First of all I am so sorry to hear that. I've posted some things on other forums, as we just found out our 9wk old puppy has a severe heart murmur. We're told that some live for years with it and it won't effect them, and some live for 3-5 years depending on the severity. And we would probably just find him "passed away" one day, without any warning. Did they look for things like this on the autopsy? Our little guy also has an umbilical hernia, which is (from what I gather reading information) a small hole in the stomach lining from the umbilical cord. Which could go away, but in doing research on those, it said they get those hernias and one other type in their diaphram, which can tangle their intestine and block it off and can cause death in less than 24 hours if not immediately treated. I don't know that it's much or if you've thought about these two issues, but just thought I'd add my imput! =-)
bookert
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby bradfran » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:19 pm

dogzone wrote:My male is much more down to business. He is much more intense and really his only goal in life is to work. He plays alot yes....but he is very very business like.

My females although they are business like, they are less so. They tend to be more quiet and much more content to relax with us. They are much more family orientated...not that my male is not family. He is excellent with my kids but he tends to go more to the adults. Where as my ladies are much more interested in watching over the kids.

Thats funny to hear you say that, I have been training and owned by German Shepherds my entire life and have never heard anyone, anywhere, in any lever or form of training say that males were more down to business...it has always been (according to thousands of other trainers and my own experiences) the opposite. Funny.
bradfran

Postby dogzone » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:45 pm

bradfran wrote:
dogzone wrote:My male is much more down to business. He is much more intense and really his only goal in life is to work. He plays alot yes....but he is very very business like.

Thats funny to hear you say that, I have been training and owned by German Shepherds my entire life and have never heard anyone, anywhere, in any lever or form of training say that males were more down to business...it has always been (according to thousands of other trainers and my own experiences) the opposite. Funny.

So that explains why most police service dogs are males...because they are more aloof. :roll:

Oh and so glad you know my dog to make such a statement. Guess you know it all. :roll:

My male is much more down to business then my females. He is much more intense and driven to work then my females. My females will go out on the field and jump around and play alittle before getting down to the job...while my male who is younger; skips the playing and gets right to the job.

They are all trained the same as well....

I have had many many trainers and breeders tell me that they have never seen a male so intense and so driven to work. So maybe you ought to make sure you know what you are talking about.
dogzone

Postby Mugsy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Dogzone- I think you misread the tone of Brad's post. He wasn't second guessing you, just saying it's funny that he finally saw someone with a differing opinion. He didn't say you didn't know what you were talking about, or called you crazy.

Relax there! :shock:
Mugsy

Postby bradfran » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:55 pm

dogzone wrote:I have had many many trainers and breeders tell me that they have never seen a male so intense and so driven to work.

Case in point there firecracker. Calm down and don't read between the lines. My point was very clear and I did not make a statement which left room for interpretation. You yourself proved my point in the quote above.
bradfran

Next

Return to German Shepherd