Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
how train a german shepherd to attack and guard : German Shepherd
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

how train a german shepherd to attack and guard

Discuss issues you have on our German Shepherd forum chat board. We want to gather breed specific chats and discussions here. German Shepherd health issues of health, breed specific training or behavior problems.

how train a german shepherd to attack and guard

Postby Sameeka_Robbie » Wed May 31, 2006 9:27 am

I have a 1 year old dog who will be two in august. she is a german shepherd crossbreed. I woldl ike to train her to attack on my command and guard. I'm not looking to do this to hurt ppl but it is for family protection only. I've had my house robbed in the past when i didn't have her. i would like her to attack on my command and always guard my house. She is a bit friendly with everyone and at the same time doesn't shy away from anyone. i'm afraid that if a robber was to come into my house he would just give her a treat with poison in it and she wold take it. pleas tell me how to stop her from listening to anyone but me and not to accept treats from anyone but me and most importantly how to attack on my command. she has the aggression but will not show it. My dog is also scared of loud bang noises and sometimes is easily distracted. she hates water and i know that would be a problem if i want to train her well. She hates garden hoses and would run if i point one at her. i wold like for her to stop being scared of that. She also bites with her front knines and not her back jaws. I wold also like to know how to teach her to bite with her jaws and strengthen that. so please tell me how i accomplish this without having to send her to a school. If i do have to send her to a school please reffer me to a good school in toronto ontario canada because i've looked on the internet and it hasn't been much help. thank you
Sameeka_Robbie
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:54 am

Honestly, you need to learn to just accept your dog for the way she is. You don't want her playing with you, you want her to just sit & now this? Do your parents know how you feel about this dog?

You can not train her to be a guard dog or an attack dog. She is a PET!
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Sameeka_Robbie » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:43 am

well apparantly you dn't know much about dogs now do you. My dog doesn't just sit there and not do anything. She is well behaved and get's alot of play time. Just because I asked you how to stop her from chasing my ball when i play doens't mean taht i want her to sit there and not do anything. My dog is very active and get's all the respect and love that she deserves. She gets pleanty of exercise and play time and get's two walks a day. As far as her being trained to guard and attack, she's been evaluated by a training school and is capable of learning how to attack and guard. I just don't have the money to pay them at this time for it. I"m not a kid, i'm a 23 yr old man who's trained his dog really well without any help what so ever and am very proud of how she's turned out. It woldn't hurt to have a few bugs worked out. There is a way to stop her from chasing the ball and to get her trained the way i want it's just that the money is a factor which i will have to now spend. But yeah thanks for the help anyways. I mean i've trained her well so far and i'm sure i'll figure out a way to train her the way i want. For future reference try to understand what the person is asking before givin them your useless opinions.
Sameeka_Robbie
Dog Loving Active Member

how train a german to attack and guard

Postby sardad » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:06 pm

You youself will not be able to train a dog to attack and guard. You need to leave it up to the pro's but if you want more info go to www.leerburg.com and read some of the info there. I know this because I've helped train two active Police k9 myself and it take alot more than you would ever guess.
sardad
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:33 pm

If i do have to send her to a school please reffer me to a good school in toronto ontario canada because i've looked on the internet and it hasn't been much help. thank you.

As far as her being trained to guard and attack, she's been evaluated by a training school and is capable of learning how to attack and guard. I just don't have the money to pay them at this time for it.

Now which is it? And so there is no mistake --

My dog is stuborn. Whenever me and my brotehr or my friends play football outside she has to join us. Weather it be football or baseball or soccer or basketball she has to join us. If i don't let her out she will bark and go crazy and cry. If i do let her out then she will chase the ball non stop and make it hard for us to play. I would like to stop this beahviour of hers. She is a 1 year old german shephard dog who will be turning two on august 1st. 06. I wold like to stop this as soon as possible and just wouldl ike her to sit outside while we play and not bother us till i say it's alright for her to play. She has her own balls and wold just disregard them once she see us playing with something. Please help me with this. Thank you

Very easy to think you were a kid from your writings.
suebgone

Postby Sameeka_Robbie » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:08 am

well thanks for teh reply sardad and i've just decided that i'll spend the money and have her trained by a professinal. thanks for your help anyways
Sameeka_Robbie
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:13 pm

What a nobhead. Buy a gun or a penis enlarger. 23 going on 5.

I wouldn't trust you with a penknife let alone an attack dog, fraid the pigs going to raid your crack house.

Postby bradfran » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:13 am

If you are worried about break ins, get a gun and a security alarm and put 9-1-1 on speed dial.

If you want to train protection for a hobby (good exercise for you and dog) contact your local schutzhund club. Just do a google search.

But I warn you...99% of this training is obedience. They will not train the dog to attack on command, what they train the dog for is WHERE on the body to bite, they increase it's confidence, and make it 100% controllable during an attack.

And a second warning...if you are not serious the trainer AND club members will see it and they will either refuse you immediately, or as soon as they figure it out. And they WILL figure it out.

So if you are not serious, and simply want a weapon...a dog is like a child. Would you ask your child to confront an enemy when you are better suited to the task? I hope not...get an alarm, a gun and program 9-1-1 into your speed dial.
bradfran

Training a German Sheperd to attack on command

Postby GSLover » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:59 pm

I was sad to read your post. We just put down a 6 year-old female who someone had tried to train to attack etc when she was younger. All it did was make her a fearful unstable dog who was unpredictably aggressive. I've always had German Shepherds, and have never had to put one down like this. I can't stress enough how unwise it is to try to train your dog for something he/she is not actually bred for. I understand that being robbed feels like a violation and the impulse is to do what ever it takes to not have it happen again. But you didn't have your dog when it happened. The mere presence of your dog will deter 99% of robbers. More important than the deterrent factor. You dog, 'as is', is hardwired to protect and serve your family. It doesn't matter if your dog is the most mellow, easy going, friendly dog you've ever met. He/she will do exactly what you need it to do if the occasion arises. Strangers will not come in without you getting a heads-up. If you are afraid in any situation, the dog will know it and come to your defense. Even if you never have occasion to see that, I can guarantee you, the dog will be there for you. In the meantime, living with a happy, exercised, obedient, reliable dog is what you need. A dog trained for K9 police work such as you are interested in has a HANDLER. They are not trained to be in a home environment. German Sheperds will not naturally do what you are trying to do. They are shepherds, their job is to greet and control. They protect by their presence and attitude. They do not chomp on people by nature. And you really really don't want to teach a dog to do that unless you want to face the consequences. And frequently, it's the owner and family that is turned on. Neighbor children, especially if your dog has a strong prey instinct. Do not go down that road unless you are willing to have someone severly injured. If you think you need to protect your 'things', believe me, one lawsuit and you'll be cleaned out. Not to mention the grief.

Not liking water has no bearing on the trainability of your dog unless you want a gun dog. In which case, you have the wrong breed. Count your blessings with the hose. Our male LOVES the hose. It's impossible to water without him going nuts. And he chews up the ones left outside.

The football game is a matter of training him/her in a long stay. It takes real time and patience to do that, and you need to use other distractions to start with.

Taking food from strangers, or not taking food from strangers, is generally taught in puppy kindergarten. You can do that with the help of some friends and a clicker. Again, every dog learns at a different rate. But shepherds are generally so fast and so smart, it's easy. You do not need to do the whole herky jerky chain collar thing with a shepherd, you need to engage it's brain. Rough training does not make a tough dog, it makes a squirrely unreliable dog. A shy or fearful German Shepherd is a problem dog. Training is an agreement. You will need to be in charge, but you will not be able to out muscle that dog. Do not even think about training with a shock collar unless you are under supervision. It's the strange person's way to train. That is really asking for trouble. If the dog gets the wrong understanding in it's head, you'll have a major problem on your hands.

If you really think your dog needs more training, you need to find a good dog trainer in your area, get into a class situation if possible. And don't worry about protection. Your dog will protect you. It's your job to be sure you don't ask more of your dog that is necessary and end up getting some one injured and getting the dog put down.

Again, if you have a well-balanced shepherd, you have a guard dog already. Your job is to make sure it doesn't get any big ideas about being more than that.
GSLover

Postby bradfran » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:12 am

Attack/guard dog training is something I have no respect for. If you want your dog trained in protection, do like I suggested and join a schutzhund club.

Statistically, almost no dogs will bite a person (except in fear biting dogs) wihtout professional training. Done properly (schutzhund for instance) it BUILDS the dogs confidence and makes them more controllable...this is because for evey minute you spend with the dog biting the sleeve, you will spend 60 minutes training obedience...avtually even while training the bite work you are doing obedience training.

Another statistical fact is that the presence of a dog (English Mastiff or Chihuahua) will deter a break in because the intruder knows most dogs will bark at strangers and strange noises such as kicking the door or breaking a window. A barking dog atracts attention, attention atracts police.
bradfran

Postby radjess331 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

you shouldnt try to train youre dog to attack. recently at the pound i saw a dog which had been trained to attack by someone that was inexperienced. the dog would attack anyone who came near its owner, bit his kids, and killed several other dogs because he was confused by his bad training. it was sad becuase it was a good looking dog and this wasnt the first time ive met this dog. the first time i met this dog he was a happy and playfull family dog. he was even scared of butterflies. so from what i saw this dog went from harmless to a terror . so dont try to train youre dog
radjess331
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby Luba Puppy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:36 pm

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

IT IS DANGEROUS.

TOPIC LOCKED
Luba Puppy
Site Admin

Return to German Shepherd