Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
limping on front leg : German Shepherd
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

limping on front leg

Discuss issues you have on our German Shepherd forum chat board. We want to gather breed specific chats and discussions here. German Shepherd health issues of health, breed specific training or behavior problems.

limping on front leg

Postby hvaclu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:31 pm

Yesterday we fenced off a large area for the dogs to run and play while we are outside with them. Brody ran with Greta yesterday quite a bit. He seemed fine then last night around 8:00 p.m. he started to limp in the front. We checked over his paws and he doesnt seem to be swollen anywheres. We are watching it closely and will take him to the vet if it doesnt get better. What Im wondering is if this could be pano that ive read alot about here on this forum. Hes now almost 9 months. Hes a big boy thats for sure. Now my next question is I feed him canidae the lamb and rice about 4 cups a day. Do you think thats to much for his age? Should I change his diet? His limping doesnt seem to be bothering him to much as of right now. He went out with the kids in the back yard(without me knowing) and I caught him out there running around like a pony. Just galloping around. I called him in and hes still limping. Any ideas? Thanks Donna
hvaclu
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby meezermom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:44 am

Look at how he actually is limping......from the shoulder or the foot. Watch him walk.... He could have pulled a muscle, got something stuck in a pad or a small cut in a pad. Does he complain if you gently squeeze his foot or pad? If he has no problem at all with you manipulating his foot, it probably is not there.
The food you are feeding is very rich and it may be too much for his system. It is a very good food but more than his system can handle. I know our GSD's look like big tough dogs but their systems are pretty delicate. Panno is usually pretty darn painful and if he had it, you would be hearing from him! My guess is it is a pulled muscle so until he is limp free, no running around like a nut case! He is still young so you have to be the brains not him. If he is running around look a total goof, he could step in a small hole and pull a muscle real easily...that is how Tasha tore her knee! Never realized the girls had done some digging and she was running like an person and that was it... so you may want to police the area to make sure there are no holes just the right size for those big feet of his!
Do some reading about panno though and if you think it may be an issue, you may want to change foods to something a bit lower in protein. I know most times it is felt it is caused by the food but there is some feeling it may be caused by a virus as there are times it will be almost through every dog in a kennel at the same time! But remind him, no running until he is not limping! Good luck on that! :D
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby hvaclu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:43 am

Thanks for replying so quickly Meezermom. I am definately worried a bit about him. You can touch his whole leg and paw and he is fine with it. We checked out his paw/pads. Nothing. I will keep him quiet for a few days and see how it goes. Greta is always on his back so keeping them two apart will be a challenge. Its probably good that its Monday because I have to work for a few hours so Greta will be in her crate and Brody and HUnter can rest.
Now about the food.... Brody and Greta have VERY sensitive digestive systems. While I was changing to canidae both had a hard time. They had the diarea for about a week or two. They both ended up with me cooking them the chicken rice or chicken hamburger meals. What a mess. Brody was the worst. I would have to take him outside like every 1-2 hours around the clock. The protein percentage in canidae is 21%. Not really looking forward to changing but I will do what I have to do. I just bought another bag of canidae last night but that 40 lbs will only last about 2.5 weeks anyways. Think I should start my search of a new dog food? Any suggestions to try first? I will have to study the boards this afternoon when I get home.
hvaclu

Postby meezermom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:13 pm

Trust me, I hear you about that darn sensitive tummy issue! Tasha is the worst dog in the world with it...she really did the best on the BARF diet and rarely had trouble but even then she would still get the runs occasionally.... And on Sundays which was the day they got their oxtails......oh man, watch out for the floods!! :shock:
You might want to check out Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul as I think they have a sensitive stomach type....as a rule, chicken or turkey is best. I know a lot say lamb but oh man, lamb about did my girls in! We were mopping the floors after that attempt!! We stay totally on chicken as even a taste of other meats can thrown them off....
Now is a good time for you to learn message for the dogs! It is a great bonding experience for one but it is also good for them. It helps when muscles are pulled. I hate medicating them when a good message will help. Tasha has really learned how wonderful it feels and she KNOWS who to go to get them. I had the girls at my son's house yesterday and it was really funny as she kept backing up to my son! He has done some studying on it as part of his training in karate and she loves it when he gives her a message. In fact, her moaning and carrying on was enough to bring Raina over to him and she has never gone near him!!
If Brody is still limping by Wed. call the vet and let them know. I am guessing that it is a pulled muscle but you do not want to take chances!!
meezermom

Postby hvaclu » Fri May 02, 2008 6:53 pm

We took Brody to the vets today. Poor guy now has a limp in the rear left leg along with his limp in the front right. The vet diagnosed him with pano. She gave us tramadol for him to take and gave him an injection of analgesics for today. She also told us that we could use the metacam we had left over from when he was neutered. He is now sleeping in his crate. Thank god cuz hes in such pain. I feel so bad for him I wish I could take his pain from him. I have also read that you can try asprin first but she told me that if it didnt work we would have to wait two days to start something else. So I guess i will probably start with the tramadol. I dont really know what to do. I had heard that the metacam was not a safe drug, that it was in the same class a rimadyl. If anyone has any advice that would be really helpful. I just hope that this doesnt last to much longer. He is so depressed and so lethargic. Just mopes around. My poor little guy!! I can only hope that Greta doesnt end up with this too.
hvaclu

Postby meezermom » Sat May 03, 2008 12:14 am

Oh the fun of panno! One thing you can try to do is cut down his food intake for a bit... Not tons mind you but maybe a half cup less. He isn't eating puppy food is he? If so, take him off it and get him on adult food and not a high protein on.... Tasha had terrible panno as a puppy and it happens. The other two did not. Tasha was also the thinnest of all three! There is a lot of research being done about panno right now.....some think it is food related and others are starting to think it may be viral! In the meantime, the Tramadol is a great med and it will keep him comfortable for sure. No running around at all though....He will appreciate gentle message on the aches and pains though and it will be a bit of one on one for the two of you...If he wants to go out, try not to let him run but very brief slow walks will be okay. Let him set the pace unless he is not thinking and is just too full of energy....He will get better but it is hard for a bit....
meezermom

Postby hvaclu » Tue May 06, 2008 11:56 pm

Finally Brody is feeling a lot better! Hes almost back to his normal self. I couldnt believe how much pain he was in and he was soooo depressed. Now hes back to playing with Greta. We havent started our walks yet but we have been leash walking up and down the driveway. Plus he and Greta play in the back yard. Hes still on the pain killer but I think that I will get him off of it with in a day or so.
Brody has been on Canidae since he was 4 months old. I think the protein is 21%. Hes being fed about 3.5 to 4 cups a day. 3.5 when he doesnt finish it. I hope that this doesnt happen again but if it does at least I will know what to do. Hopefully Greta doesnt get it too.
hvaclu

Postby meezermom » Wed May 07, 2008 1:06 am

What does Brody weigh?? Skylar who is 2 1/2 years old and weighs in at 66 pounds eats no more than 3 cups a day......but she is a girl.....and normal bone structure...... If Brody often leaves some food, cut him back some. Better he be lean than heavy.....much easier on developing bones!
meezermom

Return to German Shepherd