Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Barking and Crying at Water Bowl : Guest With Dog Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Barking and Crying at Water Bowl

If you are not signed up for seeFIDO's FREE forum, just post your question/problem here. We'll help you anyway.

Moderators: seeFIDOrocks, LizzyInTexas, Lawrencesraiser, meezermom, Laika

Barking and Crying at Water Bowl

Postby Lollipup » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Maltese/Female/Spayed -- 7 Years Old -- 8 lbs.

My dog has recently been barking at her water bowl. She seems tentative about approaching it, will take 2 or 3 laps of water, then back up and lick the floor as if trying to lick up water drops. She also scratches frantically at the floor around the bowl and, as stated, will bark at or cry near her bowl. If I pick up the bowl in my hand she will drink frantically from it in what appears to be a fear that I will take it away. Since she has started doing this I have changed her water bowl to ones of different color, shape and size; I have tried changing the location of the bowl as well as the placemat that we keep her bowl on. Is this symptomatic of some illness or is she trying to tell us something that we are just not understanding?
Lollipup

Postby meezermom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:37 pm

She is up to date on her rabies innoculations right? Good.......sounds like something spooked her badly and if you give in to her behavior, in a way you are encouraging it. Try ignoring it. Try a stainless steel bowl as long as she is not wearing tags......some dogs really freak if they hear the sound of tags clanging.......otherwise, get a ceramic dish....but it down and maybe don't use a placemat, try a small dishtowel. And walk away. She will not deprive herself of water. She is urinating right? If not, then contact the vet right away.
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Sidney » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:42 am

Are you giving her just tap water? It could be something in the water. I'm a big believer in water filters. I would do what meezer said, but use filtered water or bottled water, and see if that makes a difference.
Sidney

Re: Barking and Crying at Water Bowl

Postby faeryluv » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:51 pm

My 5-year old Chihuahua keeps doing that exact same thing! It is so aggravating! I'm going to try bottled water to see if that makes a difference. I have tried everything else! :roll:
faeryluv

Postby Dobestud » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:59 pm

faeryluv: It could also be the size of the bowl. All dogs drink differently (mine bites the water so he needs a bucket to drink out of!) One of my cats will only drink from the bowl if he can lick the far edge, and it may be the same with your chi.
Try a smaller ceramic bowl that s/he can easily reach across. It may do the trick. =D
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:18 am

You might also want to try a dish that has something in the bottom. Sometimes if a dog.........or cat has failing eyesight, they can't quite see where the water is. If there is something in the bottom, even just a pattern in the dish, they have something to focus on....

Also some dogs hate bottled water while others will only drink it....hard to tell! My cats hate water from the purifier...and the dogs don't get it.......only tap and they prefer water from the hose! Can we win??? :roll:
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to Guest With Dog Problems