Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Dog's bowels blocked : Guest With Dog Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies



Dog's bowels blocked

If you are not signed up for seeFIDO's FREE forum, just post your question/problem here. We'll help you anyway.

Moderators: seeFIDOrocks, LizzyInTexas, Lawrencesraiser, meezermom, Laika

Dog's bowels blocked

Postby Kaye » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:39 am

Our dog is having a problem with his bowels. He can't go and even cries when he tries. He has vomitied a couple times tonight. He swallowed a coupld pieces of rawhide two days ago. Could he have a blockage?
Kaye
 

Re: Dog's bowels blocked

Postby Sid » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:50 am

Kaye wrote:Our dog is having a problem with his bowels. He can't go and even cries when he tries. He has vomitied a couple times tonight. He swallowed a coupld pieces of rawhide two days ago. Could he have a blockage?

YES, definately go to the vet first thing in the morning, if not sooner.

And don't give him any more rawhides.
Sid
 

Postby suebgone » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:00 am

I wouldn't wait for morning, check for an ER vet clinic.

your dog shouldn't have any of that stuff - rawhide & greenies are the worst then all the stuff that looks like rawhide. it all can kill
User avatar
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****
 
Posts: 5896
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Postby Jasmer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:03 am

By "can't go" do you mean nothing at all comes out or does a little bit come out? What's the consistency if it does? How much vomit? Was there a lot, was it projectile? Was it frothy and yellow or was it more stool-like?

You need to call a vet right now. Most vets offer an emergency call number, and you need to call it. If your dog has an intestinal blockage he will likely die a slow, agonizing death without immediate emergency treatment. If the blockage cuts off blood flow the intestinal tissue will die and begin breaking down and rotting within a matter of hours. Only a vet exam will be able to tell you if he has a blockage or if he's just severely dehydrated or constipated.

Rawhide is a common culprit in obstructed bowels. It is tough and often can be swallowed in large pieces at a time and does not digest and soften up enough fast enough to be safe for ingestion. I recommend nyla bones, kongs, or large raw bones, preferably with some meat left on them. Cooked bones, rawhide, cloth stuffed toys, and other easily dismantled objects not naturally part of the canine's diet can cause serious problems.

I'm sorry if I sound kind of blunt, but I can't stress enough the importance of calling a vet and getting your dog seen right this second. If it is indeed a blockage emergency surgery is almost always required to resolve it.
Jasmer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 9:20 pm

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:37 pm

Jasmer wrote:By "can't go" do you mean nothing at all comes out or does a little bit come out? What's the consistency if it does? How much vomit? Was there a lot, was it projectile? Was it frothy and yellow or was it more stool-like?

You need to call a vet right now. Most vets offer an emergency call number, and you need to call it. If your dog has an intestinal blockage he will likely die a slow, agonizing death without immediate emergency treatment. If the blockage cuts off blood flow the intestinal tissue will die and begin breaking down and rotting within a matter of hours. Only a vet exam will be able to tell you if he has a blockage or if he's just severely dehydrated or constipated.

Rawhide is a common culprit in obstructed bowels. It is tough and often can be swallowed in large pieces at a time and does not digest and soften up enough fast enough to be safe for ingestion. I recommend nyla bones, kongs, or large raw bones, preferably with some meat left on them. Cooked bones, rawhide, cloth stuffed toys, and other easily dismantled objects not naturally part of the canine's diet can cause serious problems.

I'm sorry if I sound kind of blunt, but I can't stress enough the importance of calling a vet and getting your dog seen right this second. If it is indeed a blockage emergency surgery is almost always required to resolve it.


Are these rawhides you speak of the same as those little cow hide bones? I have been givin my shitshu, one year old, these things for awhile and this thread makes me believe that the bones may be the reason he has a fussy appetite and digestion issues. He LOVES the bones and plays with them for hours and eventually breaks them open and eats them. I will discontinue these immediately.
Guest
 

Postby Sid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:28 am

Anonymous wrote:Are these rawhides you speak of the same as those little cow hide bones? I have been givin my shitshu, one year old, these things for awhile and this thread makes me believe that the bones may be the reason he has a fussy appetite and digestion issues. He LOVES the bones and plays with them for hours and eventually breaks them open and eats them. I will discontinue these immediately.

Yes, rawhides are cowhides.

Any time a dog is having digestion issues, it means something is wrong. Sometimes it could be stress or some other behavioral factor, but usually it is caused by problems with diet. Dogs don't understand that this treat they're eating now is making their stomach hurt an hour or more later, so you can't rely on them to not eat things that will upset their stomachs.

The rawhides may not be the reason your dog is having digestion issues, but it certainly could be a factor. It won't hurt anything to stop using them anyway.
Sid
 

Postby suebgone » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:26 am

they also splinter & the jagged edges can pierce the intestines, stomach or bowels & cause internal bleeding & death.

there is also a danger of the dog choking on them. they are processed with arsnic & lead & dogs have been poisoned from them.

as for the greenies, dogs have died from them too. they turn into a glob in the stomach.

even the cornstarch based one aren't safe IMO as they come out looking the same as when they went in.
User avatar
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****
 
Posts: 5896
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:44 pm

Postby Jasmer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:30 am

Anonymous wrote:Are these rawhides you speak of the same as those little cow hide bones? I have been givin my shitshu, one year old, these things for awhile and this thread makes me believe that the bones may be the reason he has a fussy appetite and digestion issues. He LOVES the bones and plays with them for hours and eventually breaks them open and eats them. I will discontinue these immediately.


Yeah they may very well be causing your dog's dietary problems. Also take a look at the food you are feeding. Anything with corn, wheat, or soy in it can cause problems as well as there tends to be a high allergy rate to these ingredients. Try to avoid them within the top 5 ingredients if you can't eliminate them altogether. You can also try feeding a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a week to see if digestion improves. If it does, then you know it's what you are feeding. If it doesn't, then it's something else and a vet trip may be in order. Don't bother discussing food with your vet since most of them don't actually have a clue. It's not a topic in veterinary school so all they know is what Hill's tells them, which is a bunch of garbage to push their sub-par dog food. :lol:
Jasmer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***
 
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 9:20 pm


Return to Guest With Dog Problems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest