Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
losing her balance with rapid eye movement : Guest With Dog Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

losing her balance with rapid eye movement

If you are not signed up for seeFIDO's FREE forum, just post your question/problem here. We'll help you anyway.

Moderators: seeFIDOrocks, LizzyInTexas, Lawrencesraiser, meezermom, Laika

losing her balance with rapid eye movement

Postby mergee » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:14 pm

I am trying to get more info. My dog of (13yr collie mix), started losing her balance with rapid eye movement. I have taking her to vet and they have done blood test and test came out okay!! He give me some pills that is good for sea sickness and he said to look an eye on her for 2-3 days and if the symptoms did not go away to take the dog back. I have been sitting with my dog all night comforting her and make sure that she gets some sleep. She goes sleep but when she open her eyes; her eyes goes left and right and seweeingher head back and forth. She stands but the moment she tries to walk she falls. Please any help or idea really would be appreciated....
mergee
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby kingbrandon01 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Wow, it sounds to me like she just may be getting old. What did the Vet say could be wrong? Can she see you when you try speaking or giving things to her? Or is her balance the only thing affected?
kingbrandon01
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby meezermom » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:50 pm

Ouch! This is neurological and the vet sure missed the call there! Possibilities could be inner ear problem, mini-stroke, infection, Lyme Disease, water in the ear canal, or a brain tumor! I think I would be on the vet's back and telling him to rethink things or ask for a consultation with another vet! Something is certainly wrong if this just started and has not been the norm for your dog.....good luck and let us know what you come up with!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby suebgone » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:33 pm

the rapid eye movement identifys this most likely as a vestibular event. similar to a stroke. There is no treatment for this but it will or should correct itself over a month or so.

There are drugs the vet can give to help the dog adjust & be more comfortable.

Keep her in a well lighted room. Stairs only if attended. Try not to lift her or carry her. No exercise

You can google vestibular in dogs for more info. The pills for seasickness are a good call.

Meezer you were right on target again.
suebgone

Postby mergee » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:12 pm

Thank you all for your reply, advice and kind words. I felt lost and did not know what to think. I had to keep it together because my wife is very attached to our dog (I am too). Sueb and Meezer both are correct in their assessments.
The first Vet was from emergency clinic and when I took her to our regular vet he said the same thing that this is a vestibular syndrome and he give us a medicine that used for sea sickness and he said that this MAY go away in 3 to 4 days.
Sueb: you mentioned “well lighted room”; why and how about at night?
I appreciated very much for your time.
Thank you.
mergee
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:38 pm

at nite for her saftey I would keep her crated. or can you pen her into a small area such as a laundry room & leave a lite on?
suebgone

Postby jsforever » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:50 pm

My boyfriend moms dog just went threw the same thing.. they could not find anything wrong with her..they just gave her meds..and said she would be fine
(we thoguht it was water in her ear) because she goes swimming alot in the summer

She Was starting to get better but then the whole dog food recall she passed away because of the tainted food
jsforever
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:52 pm

jsforever, I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. Poor dog was just starting to improve and then the damn dog food problem.... this whole mess has been such a horror story from start to end... You may our deepest sympathies.. :cry:
meezermom

Postby suebgone » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:47 pm

and now they are finally admitting it is in the human food.

http://www.charlotte.com/295/story/97410.html
suebgone

Terra the 15yo dog

Postby Frankp » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 am

Terra has in an instant, started having the same exact syptom, she was fine one minute and the next we saw her falling to one side. Her rear legs are falling out from under her and her eyes are darting around in circles! she is freaking out, when i took her outside to potty she had an extremely rank mustard like movement with mucous in it, when I try to get her to drink she puts her head near the water bowl and moves her tongue around but misses the water. I'm sure its the same thing as the collie. What is the sea sickness med and what else should i do? we cant afford the vet bills. Please help. Thank you.

Frank and Terra
Frankp

Postby meezermom » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Unfortunately Frank and Terra, you will need to see a vet to establish a definite diagnosis. We are NOT vets here, just a lot of experienced people ! So there are still other things it could be that give the same symptoms... So for the safety and well being of your dog, check with the vet.. Try calling and talking and tell them you are on a limited budget.....and check the site here for financial assistance with vet bills but you will need a vet to prescribe the meds... wishing your dog all the luck in the world
meezermom

Postby mergee » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Update:
She has regained some of her balance and can walk. She is eating and drinking. Her eye movement stopped. She is still have a little confusion when I take her out side; But in all she is doing okay and I wish it to stay this way. She still taking her medicine (MECLIZINE 25 MG) every 12 hr.
Thank you all for your support
mergee
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby suebgone » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:23 pm

frank, the vet would have to give you the dosage even for over the counter meds. You need to take her in for an exam.
suebgone

Re: losing her balance with rapid eye movement

Postby Sweetpea the PittBull » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:34 pm

Hey I just found out that my 5 year old american pitt bull "sweetpea" might have the same thing. this morning I woke up to a mess all over the house like she may have had a seizure and then I tried to find her and she couldnt walk and her eyes were darting to the right with her head tilting to the left. i rushed her to the ER and they ran all kinds of blood work and said that seizures and eye movement are not normally connected and that she might have two separate problems and one of them was this vestibular disease. however, she is only 5 years old and from my research it was mainly affecting older puppies... she also gave me sea sickness pills to give her which i just gave her one in hopes she might eat something soon... she is currently sleeping next to me on her bed... right now we are in the waiting period to see if it goes away in a couple days... if it doesnt then Sweetpea might have to go in for an MRI... :-(
Sweetpea the PittBull

Re: losing her balance with rapid eye movement

Postby Dobestud » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Sweetpea. I hope she recovers soon!
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Next

Return to Guest With Dog Problems