Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
My dog was bitten :( : Guest With Dog Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

My dog was bitten :(

If you are not signed up for seeFIDO's FREE forum, just post your question/problem here. We'll help you anyway.

Moderators: seeFIDOrocks, LizzyInTexas, Lawrencesraiser, meezermom, Laika

My dog was bitten :(

Postby nickye » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:12 am

So I was hanging out with my friend, her dog got into a fight with my dog and we pulled them off of each other (mine was on leash, hers wasn't). My dog has many puncture wounds, most shallow but one deep one (maybe 1/4th inch?)inside of her lip.
I hear dog's mouths are antiseptic - should I wait it out and see before I take her to the vet? I already have an appointment for something else in a week and I don't really want to unneccesarily have two. I can't really afford it. Are there any home remedies to deal with puncture wounds other then hydrogen peroxide? I'm giving her 1/2 tab of aspirin every 12 hours, too.
She's about 50lbs.
Won't let her around that dog again though!
Thanks.
nickye
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 pm

As there are numerous wounds, contact the vet. It may be wise for your dog to be on a course of antibiotics. Clean all the wounds with a 5-/50 mix of 3% peroxide and Betadine except the one in her mouth. That one you can put a bit of straight peroxide on a Q-tip and wipe it or use a piece of gauze instead. Be sure your friend's dog is up to date on shots!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby suebgone » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:35 pm

you should really take the dog in now. puncture wounds are usually much more serious than they appear to be, once the fur is shaved off.

this time of year is dangerous too because of flys being so prevelent - if you get maggots in those wounds you are looking at major problems.

if they are deep they will need drains put in so they don't abcess

pets have emergencies too & this is one.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby lisascha » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:03 am

I'd definitely take her to the vet ASAP...perhaps the vet would agree to do whatever it was that you had scheduled the other appointment for at the same time?

Puncture/jagged wounds can be difficult to heal, and as Sue said, it's hard to tell just how bad they are before the fur is shaved off. Better to pay something now, rather than have to pay a lot more later if the wounds develop infections. There is a link in the "Dog Health" forum, I think, regarding financial aid for pet owners that you may want to check out:

http://www.seefido.com/dog-discussion-forum/viewtopic.php?t=1855
lisascha
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

puncture wounds

Postby prongcollarsyeah » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:18 pm

clean the wounds out with douluted peroxide and keep them super clean until you take the dog to the vet and take the dog outside on a leash to go potty until you get to the vet and until it heels so the dog doesnt get it dirty but bring it to the vet soon you dont want an infected would
prongcollarsyeah
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Return to Guest With Dog Problems