Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
new puppy peeing/pooping question : Guest With Dog Problems
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

new puppy peeing/pooping question

If you are not signed up for seeFIDO's FREE forum, just post your question/problem here. We'll help you anyway.

Moderators: seeFIDOrocks, LizzyInTexas, Lawrencesraiser, meezermom, Laika

new puppy peeing/pooping question

Postby Guest » Sat May 05, 2007 8:17 pm

10 week old german shepard. Clean bill of health, first shots. First pick from a litter of 8. Male, middle of the pack. We have lived in our current home for 1 year with a 1 year old chihuahua. No health problems with it.

He vomited and peed in the 45min truck ride home, i assume is typical. Got him home and bathed him since he was covered in pee. Same soap we use on the chihuahua. He was fed with the same food the breeder has been using at 6pm last night. He was crated next to my bed from 11pm-6am, we went out 3 times last night, he vomited at 230am but had no food in it. I assume he had empty stomach and while exploring i saw that he tasted some plants we have. None of the plants are dangerous, i planted each species with the intention of knowing dogs would be around. Has not vomited since. He was fed again this morning at 6am and again at noon. He will be fed again this evening. Has been in/out of the home as he pleases. He already knows his bed and goes to it for naps, is completly comfortable in his crate.

He is not lethargic, he plays, runs, eyes clear, mouth seems fine, nose looks/feels wet/fine. Inquisitive, playfull, totally non-aggressive. Neurologically intact, no unusual head movements, twitching, hearing, etc. No unusual physical issues from what my wife and i can see. I am an RN in an operating room so i know people alittle better.

The problem: we have not seen him pee or poop since his accident in the truck on the way home. I did NOT scold him or say anything to him about the accident on the way home so i do not believe its already some mental issue. He has checked out the whole yard, at times alone so its *possible* he has peed but im positive he has NOT pooped. He is much larger than our chihuahua and there is no new poop. Plus no accidents in the house, which our last dog(14 y/o boxer) we went through 5months of potty training to get him to stop so we were already prepared for all the accidents inside. But that was 2 houses ago and was our first dog, he had no health issues his whole life so im not as keen to puppy/dog problems, we have been very lucky.

When should i worry. I know some time needs to pass, be he seems comfortable with all the members of the family(me, wife, 7y/o son and 15 y/o daughter). He comes inside the house and looks around, he ventures outside at will. The only problem i can see at this time is pee/poop. Does he just need to get that first one out and the floodgates will open or should i think of vet trip soon. Of all the issues i was ready for, NOT peeing/pooping wasnt one of them. :shock:

Any advice would be great, getting an appointment we would be on stand by for my vet if someone cancels or looking at emergency care. Otherwise i can have him seen monday(its currently saturday at 1pm) with my normal vet, i booked at 10am in case this continues.

Thank you.

Postby meezermom » Sat May 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Oh boy!! A new happy parent of a GSD! Guess what?!? They do tend to car sickness in early life........and if it helps, my three GSD's still throw up if I get a new car or they ride in someone else's car! Rotten snots! What food did the breeder recommend? Make sure he is getting enough and at that age, we are talking three meals a day plus a night time snack....... Plenty of water, no rawhide.... get the nylabone and a Kong for chewing as they do love to chew! He has a lot of investigating to do and be sure you keep those feet moving! At this point, I see no reason to rush him to a vet........if you just brought him home, he has time........and give him some time to adjust to your water! May taste different.... Don't hesitate to give a yell.......I will be on board and will check back frequently!!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Guest » Sun May 06, 2007 1:47 am

Meezermom, thank you for your reply. I was basically thinking the same thing, give it some more time. He likes our water, atleast he drank a ton so i knew he wasnt dehydrated. Comicly laid his head and paws in it! He didnt really mind his bath either, im hopeing he likes the water as our family does alot of water activities(ocean, lakes, camping)

After posting here i started racking my brain on ideas. Why would a new puppy have this behavior. Im not a dog know it all but i feel im smart enough (reading a ton) and my profession medically that i would really know if something was wrong. I felt this situation, if it continued was turning for the worse on many levels. Either the GSD would hold it so long for possible bladder problems or he would finally burst and not have the urination on his terms ie inside/outside and location.

Another reason i think i jumped the gun in worry is that we got this dog from friends, its there 4th litter of two beautiful akc GSD. We have been waiting on them for this litter and she had 8. All lived, all healthy. So since they are friends of ours i guess i take every little thing personally. I really want this dog to do well and be happy/healthy not only for the dog, my family but that it came from a friend.

Anyway, i realized at one point that our daughters chihuahua which has had run of the house since arriving 1 year ago has not had contact with the new puppy. Our Chihuahua is crate trained in our daughters room where is spends most of its time and comes outside for potty/feeding. Plus our daughter was hesitant about the GSD since its already bigger than her chihuahua that their would not only be aggressive issues but mateing issues. We had to explain the whole dog mateing cycle and that right now its not possible. plus we said niether dog would get hurt.

So we arranged the meeting. It was quite interesting. When she brought the chihuahua out it was barking and aggressive in her arms. Something we dont see much out of her. I convinced my daughter to put the chihuahua down and that little aggressive monster stopped barking when it realized it was on equal terms with the new GSD. They took some time to figure eachother out and then played all over the yard for some time. When it was apparent that our GSD wanted more playing being a puppy and that the chihuahua was worn out we seperated them. He wanted more playing so we played fetch with a tennis ball, which he now has already learned to fetch and return. After about 20mins he just kinda walked away no longer interested and found a spot in the yard that the chihuahua doesnt like much and peed! This was alot of urine so he had obviously been holding it. I rewarded him with praise and a treat. I was so overjoyed. About 15mins later he ran off to that side of the yard and searched for awhile to finally stop and poop. Again a large amount. He was rewarded and praised. 5mins later he returned to his pee spot and went again for another large pee. Finally! I didnt think id be that happy about my puppy doing his business.

So im not sure if it was just time, 27hrs from leaving his littermates, or it was the last intangible that was unknown. Being it was the other dog in the house, the same smell he knew all over the house/yard and currently present somewhere, but had not had contact with it to size it up and figure its place in the pack. Im not sure. But either way im very happy.

Thanks for listening. Thanks for just posting, even though its not a major issue and i probably seem like a nut, its nice to have that reassurance.

Thank you and i hope everyone else finds some help/peace.

:lol:

Postby meezermom » Sun May 06, 2007 2:14 am

Quick question........is there a reason the chi is not neutered?? You really don't want to take any chances of a mating there.....especially as she is the female... It could kill her! Chi's are bossy little dogs and have a lot of attitude and they will arrange their own pecking order. Shepherds that are well bred and well raised tend to get along with other animals... I have three shepherds, all female, three Siamese cats and five ferrets and they all get along. The shepherds will occasionally go at each other and I do step in as the females will fight and get truly dangerous! The males are not as bad... My youngest is not spayed as I plan to show her and she is on a breeder's contract to have one litter. So she uses one of the ferrets for her "practice puppy"! He puts up with so much from her as she carries him around, gets tucked into her bed, washed and nibbled on and when he does get tired, he goes after her........and you want something to laugh about, that is a two pound ferret chasing a 65 pound shepherd through the house! :lol:
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to Guest With Dog Problems