Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
6 Month Old Puppy Peeing Everywhere : Potty Training Puppies
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

6 Month Old Puppy Peeing Everywhere

Toilet training (or potty training) is the process of training a young puppy to use the "toilet" ie: not use your house for urination and defecation, weaning him.

6 Month Old Puppy Peeing Everywhere

Postby Fleur » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Hiya, we have two puppies, Mines a scottish terrier, and is nearly 10 months old - shes fine and well trained in the toilet department.

However my mum's puppy, who is 6 months old miniture wired haired daschund, keeps on peeing when I talk to her, or she sees me. She doesn't do it to anyone else.

Why is she peeing in excitement or fright when she sees me and how can I get her out of this. This morning she sneaked upstairs straight into my room, and as soon as she saw me, peed all over the floor!

Is it just the fact she's so small, she can't control herself, or is it something to do with me?! Am I really that scary!

Thanks, Fleur.
Fleur
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi Fleur and Welcome to SeeFido!

In answer to your question, yes, you are pretty scary to such a tiny puppy! However, I am thinking that really isn't the problem!! Has this little girl been checked by the vet to be sure is no UTI going on? This is often a problem for young female dogs, especially small ones and it is going to make house training very hard indeed! So how about a vet check first? If all is ok, then she does need to be restricted to a crate for training. Unless she is being watched, fed, played with, or anything, she needs to be in the crate! Go back and start all over with the basics with her and she will learn.

Very tiny dogs often take a much longer time to housetrain than other breeds or larger dogs. That bladder is pretty small.... You will also need to be sure that any place she has gone is treated with an enzyme cleaner to remove all scent! The Rug Dr actually has a nice Urine and Stain remover that does a great job. Simple Solution is another.

What she is showing is submissive urination though when she sees you... but first let's be certain everything else is clear, then we can tackle that!
We would really love a picture of those two lovelies!!!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Fleur » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply. She was checked by the vet recently, and she was given the all clear.

Are there any ways I can tackle this?

Wasn't sure if I was allowed to post images, but Megans the top picture, she is my puppy. And Poppy is the below picture, she is my mums puppy, and is the one with toilet issues.
Fleur
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:34 am

How absolutely adorable!!! Megan is just way too much for words! Scotties are very very infrequently seen around here so it is a real treat to see her... Wire haired dachsies are not common either and certainly not that color... Is she an unusual color?? I find it very appealing but then I do not know much about this breed. I am used to the dark red and the black and tan which are the colors most often seen.

My guess is she is going to need to go back to housetraining 101 and start over...and be very sure all areas she has gone are treated. If needed, get a black light to check!! Then crate her in a small enough crate that she cannot go in the crate and take her out after meals, playtime, naps, or anytime she gets up and starts to move around! If she starts to sniff, take her out and make sure she does not come inside until she goes....and be sure to use the same word for what you want her to do.... She should get it pretty quickly. Also restrict the area she is allowed to go in the house. Do not let her go upstairs at all.....Once she gets this under control, the rest should follow.

As far as her urinating in front of you, it sounds much like submissive urination.....If you are yelling at her when she has an accident, try not to. It is stressing her and she figures if she is very submissive to you, you won't be mad at her......and that does include submissive urination! That doesn't mean you can't correct her, you can. Just don't scream or yell....Just a firm, low growly no! Low tones are more a correction that high tones are! High are excitement, low are corrections. Other dogs correct with growls so that is what she should hear....You may also want to try to ignore her for a while and see if it settles down. If you don't look at her or talk to her or acknowledge her, and she doesn't urinate, then it is a dominance/submissive issue and can be dealt with.... Until then, she needs to be totally housetrained.

Is she spayed yet?? If not, some of this should stop once she is spayed too.... submissive urination often has to do with pack order... I am betting the Scottie is more dominant as they are known for their dominant personalities....
meezermom

Postby Fleur » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Thanks for your help. I will give it a go. For the past couple of days, she has not been urinating in front of me, as I have been ignoring her until she calms down.

Poppy's colour is quite rare - her brother was a black and tan. Megan is quite dominant, but Poppy gives as good as she gets! Their so cute together.

xx
Fleur
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 am

Is there such a thing as a Scottie who is NOT dominant?? They are known for that.....but darn, they are cute....
meezermom

Postby scoobydoo4u » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:37 pm

Same problem with my dog. He pees too whenever he sees me.
scoobydoo4u
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Re: 6 Month Old Puppy Peeing Everywhere

Postby jpa6776 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my Mini Longhair Dachshunds, Destiny and her lil brother J.J. They are both crate-trained and were both perfectly wee-pad trained but after her spay surgery, she is peeing and pooping wherever she pleases. I'll be standing in the middle of the room and she'll decide to go right in front of me. She seems remorseful when I catch her and she evens puts her head down in shame. She was never a submissive pee-er, but J.J. is. Now he's following her lead and going in random spots. They both wait outside our bathroom and bedroom doors until we come out, and they won't move an inch and just go pee right in front of the doors. If my husband and I are sitting in the living room, they'll both run over and use their pads, make sure we see them using their pads and then come running back to us for their treats.

My hubby has lost his patience and I'm trying not to lose mine. He yells at them when he catches them peeing on the carpet and then locks them in their crates. I've told him this is not the proper way to train them but he doesn't know any other way. He works nights and is home during the day and I work days. They definitely act much better when I'm home at night with them, but they still have their consistent "accidents".

We live in an apartment and the carpet is a very light, almost white carpet and it is stained all over the place. They've also chewed and torn some edges of it. I love my puppies with all my heart and I just want them to behave and feel confident and comfortable at all times.

Has anyone here had similar experiences like this? I would really appreciate any wisdom you can offer me.
Attachments
1261457299956.jpg
My Lil Devil, oops I mean Desi ;)
1261457299956.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
jpa6776
NewBorn Puppy Member

Postby meezermom » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi and welcome to SeeFido! How recently was she spayed? It isn't unusual for dogs to have accidents after a spay. But you now have a cycle going so best thing to do is start back at the beginning. Also a problem with peepads, many dogs will not distinguish between them and carpet at times! Any chance at all you can convert it to taking them outside instead? Yelling is not going to help, a sharp verbal correction will... You may also want to rent a Rug Doctor and get Simple Solution and get the one that is for carpet cleaning machines and for old stains and clean the carpets. It will remove all odors and stains and may help the over all situation.
meezermom

Postby benbenfish8083 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:49 am

Hi jpa6776,

We are having the same problem here!!! Just to check.. is your puppy ok now already?? how long did you train her to peepee at the right place again??

then how u train her?? can guide me???
benbenfish8083
NewBorn Puppy Member

Postby LillysHuman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:48 am

Hi BenBenFish :)
I have to tell you that I get this question all the time as a breeder and I will tell you what I tell everyone...you have to be persistant and patient....and i KNOW thats hard to do when you are dealing with something like pee or poop :roll:
I strongly suggest you read this article
http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Sarah_Gladman I published that may give you some insights on how to deal with it.(just copy and paste it into your search bar)
Sit tight, and chin up..this CAN be fixed and it can be done with very little drama from your pup and/or you, lol
Let me know how you go
Cheers
Sarah :wink:
LillysHuman
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby meezermom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Sarah and welcome to SeeFido!

What kind of dogs do you breed? Sounds like you know terriorists...... :badgrin: I mean terriers!!
meezermom

Postby dogtrainingideas » Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 pm

There are several reasons for this behavior but try reading this interesting http://dog-obedience-training-ideas.com/how-to-avoid-excitement-and-submissive-urination/

Sometime to consider.
dogtrainingideas
Dog Loving Active Member

Return to Potty Training Puppies