Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Dog wont stop pooping/peeing in kennel : Potty Training Puppies
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Dog wont stop pooping/peeing in kennel

Toilet training (or potty training) is the process of training a young puppy to use the "toilet" ie: not use your house for urination and defecation, weaning him.

Dog wont stop pooping/peeing in kennel

Postby boxerlover » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:55 pm

Hi, I've got a big problem. My 8 month old boxer will not stop pooping in her cage. We have two dogs, a 7 month old Golden Retreiver and a 8 month old Boxer. Both Female. The Golden Retreiver is completely house-broken, was since after the first week we got her. The Boxer however keeps pooping and peeing (mostly pooping) in her cage. We started them off in seperate cages, in different rooms of the house. We had the boxers cage too large when we first started training her. Since then we have tried making it small (so that she just has room to stand/laydown) - that does not work. We have soaked it multiple times in Nature's Way and w/ White Vinegar - she still continues to go in there. Next we tried putting the Golden and Boxer in the same large cage and that worked for about a month she had no accidents. Now in the last 3 days she's started going in there. We're going to move her back to her own cage b/c I do not want my other dog to be subjected to that. I am at a loss as to what to do next. The Boxer has only had one accident in the house in the past 4 months - I had just taken her out to potty outside, she peed and pooped out there like normal and then 5 min later she pooped in the house ? We feed them both Iams large breed puppy 2x daily. Once in the morning (6:00), and once when we get home from work (4:30), about 3-4 hand fulls each. My finance goes home for lunch and lets them out in the afternoon around 12-2ish so they are only in their kennels max of 4 hours at a time. She rarely messes her cage during the day anymore, it's mostly at night. For example last night we took her out at midnight and she pooped, we woke up at 6am and she had went in her cage again. I cleaned it with Nature's Way and Vinegar and then went back to bed and she pooped again in there before I got up at 10. I am at a complete loss. She doesnt care about messing her bed like most dogs, she will eat it, step in it, lay in it, etc. Please help!!!!!
boxerlover

Postby suebgone » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:08 am

If you switch to a better quality premium food, they eat less & poop less. That may help. Also, you might want to get them off the puppy food.

When you take her out is she getting good walks or just going out? Making sure she gets several walks may help.

Have you talked to your vet about any possible digestive problems? She is having an unusual amount of bowel movements it sounds like. She may have a mal absorption issue.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

same problem

Postby Staceypacer » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:40 pm

I am having the same problem and hope we can get some quality advice...I am too at a loss.

My dog, a 6 month yellow lab, is doing the same thing. We feed her Natural Choice two times a day--same as you. She doesn't seem like she can hold anything in. I was actually thinking about switching to IAMS, but I see if that doesn't work for you, why would it work for me??? I wake up most mornings to an accident (usually pee) but even after she just goes poop outside, she will come in, go in her cage and poop.

She is smart enough to know not to do this. She knows many commands and heels pretty well on walks.

Please there must be someone out there with a similar problem who has fixed it. My husband is convinced, dispite the $1500.00 we've already invested in her, she needs to go...I want to help save her....HELP!!!!
Staceypacer

Postby quest123 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:41 pm

Hi,
I have German Shepherd Dog and she does the agzact same thing. Me and my family found out that it is because they have an anxiety attack. They have a love for people and company so much that when they are alone, they get all nervous and scared and then boom, they pinch a loof in the kennel. So far, nothing seems to work. Every now and then she "may" not poop in the kennel, even if we let her out for a dump prior to leaving the house (no one home). We even feed her at around the same time frame. We have found that she tends to go at about 2pm in the day. But yes, this is apparently (according to the vet) the result of an anxiety attack. We have also got herbal chinese medication that is meant for this type of thing with dogs, it seems to only "help". It makes the dog tired and relaxed so they don't get anxiety attacks. I forget what it called. But we have left the dog out for about an hour one time when no one was home and she didn't do anything, although, one time I was outside and she was inside (for a period of about 20 minutes) and she crapped on the floor. Hope this information helps.

Kyle
quest123

Re: same problem

Postby Mugsy » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:59 pm

Staceypacer wrote:I am having the same problem and hope we can get some quality advice...I am too at a loss.

My dog, a 6 month yellow lab, is doing the same thing. We feed her Natural Choice two times a day--same as you. She doesn't seem like she can hold anything in. I was actually thinking about switching to IAMS, but I see if that doesn't work for you, why would it work for me??? I wake up most mornings to an accident (usually pee) but even after she just goes poop outside, she will come in, go in her cage and poop.

She is smart enough to know not to do this. She knows many commands and heels pretty well on walks.

Please there must be someone out there with a similar problem who has fixed it. My husband is convinced, dispite the $1500.00 we've already invested in her, she needs to go...I want to help save her....HELP!!!!

Have you taken the dog to the vet to make sure it is not an UTI?
Also- does the dog get at least 3 good walks a day. Brisk walks? Walking helps to get things going.
When the dog does go outside, give heavy praise and a treat. (the dog has had all its shots right)

Any accidents in the house clean with 2/3 water mixed with 1/3 white vinegar. If the dog smells its own scent it will keep going in that area.
Mugsy

Postby LabLover » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:09 am

Especially for a lab, I would think this is a medical problem. Labs are the most wonderful dogs out there (hence the name "LabLover"!!!) and they are very intelligent. I'm guessing, like you said, your dog DOES know not to go inside, but there's something wrong with her.

Keep us posted! (Yes, pun intended)
LabLover

Same Problem

Postby Jenn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:46 pm

<p>I have a pitbull (female) and she is house broken when out of her cage but she can't seem to keep her bladder under control for more than 2 hours. I dont know if that is because since we got her we took her out every 15 mins. but we have tried to keep her in it longer and longer for periods of time. When we go to bed at approx.11 she is yelping at 2 or 3 am. We tell her to go back to sleep and sometimes it works. Sometimes she doesnt pee in her cage at all on some nights. Im at a loss for information we have had her checked for UTI and nothing showed up. But now she is pregnant and we have to take her out more my question is should we put her into the bigger cage now so she has more room or should be keep her in the tight cage?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Jenn</p>
Jenn

Re: Same Problem

Postby Jenn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Jenn wrote:<p>I have a pitbull (female) and she is house broken when out of her cage but she can't seem to keep her bladder under control for more than 2 hours. I dont know if that is because since we got her we took her out every 15 mins. but we have tried to keep her in it longer and longer for periods of time. When we go to bed at approx.11 she is yelping at 2 or 3 am. We tell her to go back to sleep and sometimes it works. Sometimes she doesnt pee in her cage at all on some nights. Im at a loss for information we have had her checked for UTI and nothing showed up. But now she is pregnant and we have to take her out more my question is should we put her into the bigger cage now so she has more room or should be keep her in the tight cage?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Jenn</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="mailto:purpleangel_17772@yahoo.com"><br />
</a></p>
Jenn

Postby dogzone » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:06 pm

<p><strong>Number one</strong></p>
<p><strong>Size of crate.&nbsp; Make sure it is only big enough for doggy to stand, lie down and turn around.&nbsp; No bigger.</strong></p>
<p><strong></strong></p>
<p><strong>Number two</strong></p>
<p><strong>Pick up all food and water by 5pm.&nbsp; Make sure you take a good walk before bed time to ensure jobbies are done and doggy is tired.</strong></p>
<p><strong></strong></p>
<p><strong></strong></p>
<p><strong></strong></p>
<p><strong>I only have experience with my dogs and can only share what I did and what worked for me though. </strong></p>
<p><strong></strong></p>
<p><strong></strong></p>
dogzone
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby uptowndogs » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:49 pm

<p>Sometimes the enviroment in which a puppy was bred and raised prior to going to it's forever home can impact the housebreaking.&nbsp; Pups that are bred and raised in cages with out ever being outside of the cage will use the crate as a toilet.&nbsp; This is because they were never anywhere but in a crate before so they know no difference.&nbsp; Other times if the dog was at a shelter it can be hard to crate train for the same reasons.&nbsp; Then there are those dogs that had previous owners who used the crate as punishment, or simply always kept the dog there, where he had no choice but to go potty in his crate.&nbsp; And of course, as mentioned anxiety can also cause this and everything I just mentioned can contribute to anxiety.&nbsp; </p>
<p>While I promote crate training, it has to be a personal decision based on you and your dog.&nbsp; I have fostered some dogs that simply weren't good candidates for crateing.&nbsp; For these dogs I found a babygate in the bathroom or kitchen&nbsp;to be much more effective.&nbsp; They still had accidents, but the anxiety level was much less, thus the training efforts were more effective.</p>
uptowndogs
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Re: Dog wont stop pooping/peeing in kennel

Postby boxer lady » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:58 am

<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>HI-- I have two boxers.&nbsp; They are not territorial nor do are they bothered by it like most dogs.&nbsp; Mine did out grow it ..... and occassionally if upset with&nbsp; you...they have their episodes again....</p>
<p>
boxerlover wrote:Hi, I've got a big problem. My 8 month old boxer will not stop pooping in her cage. We have two dogs, a 7 month old Golden Retreiver and a 8 month old Boxer. Both Female. The Golden Retreiver is completely house-broken, was since after the first week we got her. The Boxer however keeps pooping and peeing (mostly pooping) in her cage. We started them off in seperate cages, in different rooms of the house. We had the boxers cage too large when we first started training her. Since then we have tried making it small (so that she just has room to stand/laydown) - that does not work. We have soaked it multiple times in Nature's Way and w/ White Vinegar - she still continues to go in there. Next we tried putting the Golden and Boxer in the same large cage and that worked for about a month she had no accidents. Now in the last 3 days she's started going in there. We're going to move her back to her own cage b/c I do not want my other dog to be subjected to that. I am at a loss as to what to do next. The Boxer has only had one accident in the house in the past 4 months - I had just taken her out to potty outside, she peed and pooped out there like normal and then 5 min later she pooped in the house ? We feed them both Iams large breed puppy 2x daily. Once in the morning (6:00), and once when we get home from work (4:30), about 3-4 hand fulls each. My finance goes home for lunch and lets them out in the afternoon around 12-2ish so they are only in their kennels max of 4 hours at a time. She rarely messes her cage during the day anymore, it's mostly at night. For example last night we took her out at midnight and she pooped, we woke up at 6am and she had went in her cage again. I cleaned it with Nature's Way and Vinegar and then went back to bed and she pooped again in there before I got up at 10. I am at a complete loss. She doesnt care about messing her bed like most dogs, she will eat it, step in it, lay in it, etc. Please help!!!!!
</p>
boxer lady

Postby fotographeriam » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:55 pm

I have a similar problem! To avoid responses that are not applicable I am going to give you the complete history and then PRAY that someone has an answer that will not only help us but solve this problem.

We "rescued" an 8 month old Papillon puppy from what I would call a puppy mill. Apparently, nobody wanted him because he has an overbite and would not meet showing or breeding requirements but whatever! We just got him for a pet! He lived in a barn with God knows how many other dogs, separated into crates where they ate, slept and went to the bathroom. I am now assuming that he did not get enough exercise or time to run around outside in the farm yard because within 12 hours of us bringing him home, he jumped off the couch and broke his leg. Something that a dog his age should have no problem with. I should also mention that after a vet check we discovered he was only 3.7lbs which is very tiny for his age.

After a week at the vet clinic, they put a steel plate in his leg and we got to bring him home again. He was put on strict kennel rest for 6-8 weeks but we were told that as long as he is in a restricted pen area that he cannot run around in, it would be fine. We have an area next to the couch that we put a 2x4 foot area for him. The size is exactly enough space for ONE paper puppy training pad, a small round bed that we bought him and his toys, food and water. His food is beside his bed and not near his pee area.

Now I do understand the needs of a Papillon, being bred as a companion dog, and I take him out of this area and cuddle him in a baby blanket on the couch MANY times during the day. We are home with him most of the time and only go out for a few hours a day.

After his last vet check, at 4 weeks, we were told that the break was almost not visible anymore and to give it 2 more weeks and after his final x-rays, he will be allowed out again. Since that check up we do let him out for short periods of time to walk around the room and play with his toys, as long as he doesn't try to run around TOO much. We do not want to risk re-injury. The vet bill for this incident set us back $3000.

NOW...because of the restictions put on him, his house training has been terribly hindered but we have spent MUCH time training him to do a lot of other things. He learned his new name, how to come when called, how to sit and lay down on command and how to stay. He has also learned how to go get a ball and bring it back and put it in my hand. When allowed out, I have taught him how to heal off leash and he does very well at it (for the short periods I allow him out to walk around the room.) SO he IS smart enough.

I spend most of my time in the same room as him but I do go to the other rooms and he is forced to stay here alone for short periods of time. This upsets him and he sings and chirps and yodels but he knows I am just in the next room.

OFTEN, I come back to find that he has pooped or peed IN HIS BED and is just laying in it, like it is no big deal. The pee pad is a mere foot away. Sometime, he sleeps on his pee pad and uses his snuggly bed as a toilet.

Now before you give me ingredients for cleaning solutions, I must say that I purchased baby changing table pads that have cloth on one side and plastic on the other and his bed is always completely covered by a clean one. I wash them in the laundry so they should have no odour left that would entice him to pee or poop there again.

I do understand what is going on here. I understand that his upbringing has taught him that you go where you eat and sleep. What I want to know is HOW DO I CHANGE THIS? He has another week of restriction and then he can come out but because of where we live, we are not planning to outside train him. We were considering paper or litter box training him and putting him in the same 2x4 corner when we go out and at bed time.

I also would like to add that we have two other dogs, each with their own bed. When the Papillon comes out for a little while he often goes straight over and pees on THEIR beds too. He has only peed once on the carpet while being out. He much prefers to pee on blankets or cloth. The lady we got him from said they each had a towel in their pen and maybe that is why he pees on them.

WHAT do we do to correct this bizarre behaviour and how do we go about house training him next week when his leg is healed?
PLEASE HELP!
fotographeriam
Dog Loving Active Member

Postby jchapple » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:03 pm

I am having the same problem with my boxer. He is 8 months old. He is very well trained also. The only thing he does wrong is about 3times a week he will pee or poop or both in his pen. It ends up all over him. sometimes he eats it or smears it all over himself. It is gross and very hard to deal with. His kennel is just the right size. I hear the same advice from everyone and honestly none of it really has helped. Sometimes he wont do it for a few days and i will think he is cured, only to come home to a poop covered dog with urine dripping from his face......what do i do???

Well the only thing i have tried that has worked is running him on our treadmill. I figured he may just be anxious so i run him on the treadmill for aprox 30 minuted before locking him up and he seems to do better. Has anyone else had any luck with anything like this??
jchapple
NewBorn Puppy Member

Postby meezermom » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Boxers are a very high energy dog..... They need so much exercise and it is possible your boxer is not getting tired out. Also, a dog must be able to move around to empty their bowels....If he isn't getting that opportunity before he is crated, he will eventually have to go and will have no choice....Before you put him in the crate, be very sure he has had all opportunities to wear himself out and empty out. He will sleep better in his crate and at most, be sure he has a crate bone or such to chew on. It is hard for a young dog to be crated all the time. Any chance you could get him into doggy day care even for a couple days a week?

A treadmill can be wonderful once a dog is trained to use one and you observe to make sure it is safe!
meezermom

Postby vikki2kids » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:10 am

Hi Everyone!

Please help, we have a 16 week old staffy bitch who is caged during the night and when we are out at work, but no matter how long she is left outside to relieve herself prior to being caged (WHICH SHE DOES) she will always have done a poo and wee in her bed on our return. She doesn't seem at all phased about lying in it - we always tell her off when she does this, give her a squirt of water and put her outside. I clean her cage and spray with a pet odour stopper but it doesn't seem to make any difference she just does it again the following time she is left. I feel like she is doing it for punishment for being left alone.
Please help
Vikki
vikki2kids
NewBorn Puppy Member

Next

Return to Potty Training Puppies