Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
HELP - potty training 3 year old Boston terrier : Potty Training Puppies
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

HELP - potty training 3 year old Boston terrier

Toilet training (or potty training) is the process of training a young puppy to use the "toilet" ie: not use your house for urination and defecation, weaning him.

HELP - potty training 3 year old Boston terrier

Postby jparr » Mon May 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Someone please help! My sister just got a 3 year old Female Boston Terrier that will only go to the bathroom outside if she is the one hold the leash. The dog will not go for her husband or anyone else in the family. Her husband can keep the dog outside for hours - walking, playing, etc. and she will wait until my sister gets home from work to eliminate. The dog had rather go in her CRATE than go if someone other than my sister is nearby. They have tried taking the dog out together but Marley will hold it, hold it, hold it until the husband moves away or they give up and take her inside (where she goes in her crate) She doesn't act afraid of other family members - infact she is quite affectionate. This bathroom behaviour is about to get the best of them, though, since the husband is the one who works part time and is home with the dog the most. What can they do to break this?!
jparr
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Re: HELP - potty training 3 year old Boston terrier

Postby meezermom » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 am

Hi Jparr and welcome to SeeFido!

Two things, how long has your sister had this dog and where did they get her? My guess is the dog is only used to women and that is part of the problem. This will take time to work through but the dog needs to see her new "daddy" as someone to be trusted and have fun with. He is going to have to work this through with her and it is not going to be fixed in one day. It can take a few months so patience is needed. However, for now, he needs to be the one to take her out and just let her wander around on her leash. She may be better on one of those thrice cursed extendable leashes for this purpose. They serve very little purpose but this is one of them. She can move away to do her business......but he is going to have to stay out with her until she does go. He just needs to remind her with a gentle voice what he wants her to do; ie. go potty. In this you cannot sound irritable or rushed. It takes time and patience.....
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby jparr » Tue May 17, 2011 5:29 pm

Thanks for responding. My sister has had this dog for a few months. she came from a questionable breeder.. I say questionable because the lady bred Boston Terriers and poodles and pot bellied pigs in an unairconditioned house and well, my sister got the dog because the lady said she would not breed. Anyway, Marley used to let their 8 year old granddaughter take her out but she won't, anymore. My sister is the only one. I was thinking the only way around this is for the husband to take her out and wait. And wait. And wait. I think Marley is a very stubborn dog so the waiting may take a while and then reward, reward, reward when she goes. I will share your thoughts w/ my sister and her husband and pray everything "goes" well. Thanks again.
jparr
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby meezermom » Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm

It does indeed sound like Marley came from questionable background still, she is also a Boster TERRIER! Stubborness is their middle name. The terriers are all known for their total ability to be as bullheaded as a mule! :roll: They need a firm but fair hand and it can take time. :wink: It also sounds very much like whoever had the dog before made absolutely no effort at all to work with her and may be she was not exposed to men! This will be a matter of Marley needs to be used to going out with the hubby and granddaughter and whoever else wants to handle her. Classes would be a real good choice for her....She needs the socialization as well as learning to depend on the hubby in a strange place!
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Dobestud » Sat May 21, 2011 4:04 pm

It may take a lot of patience as you said. She can'T hold it forever! LOL

The extendable leash is a great idea meezermom. Maybe just what she needs so she can sneek away do do her business haha
Dobestud
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to Potty Training Puppies