Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
House Training 6 Month old Beagle : Potty Training Puppies
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

House Training 6 Month old Beagle

Toilet training (or potty training) is the process of training a young puppy to use the "toilet" ie: not use your house for urination and defecation, weaning him.

House Training 6 Month old Beagle

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:39 pm

Three weeks ago we adopted a 6 month Beagle. He is the most loveable and playful thing you've ever seen. I have not house trained a dog before now and I'm having much trouble training him (Corky). Sometimes he goes 4 hours without peeing in the house but other times he will pee every 15 minutes. We put him in his crate and he peed and defecated in it and sleeps right in it, he was covered from one end to the other. Tonight I was sitting down watching TV and had him on my lap and he peed without even waking up. I take him out at least every hour to the same spot. I've keept track of when he pees and there doesn't seem to be any rime or reason to when he goes. Am I expecting too much after only three weeks? How long on average does it take to house train a difficult dog? Can someone help I am so desperate.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby packmom » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:40 pm

JoJill: Well, he's 6 months old. He has probably been in a habit forming situtation already. Thus, he will pee whenever and wherever he feels like it. First of all, I have to say, unless you are planning on breeding him, go ahead and have him spayed, unless he was spayed when you got him. I am sure you will hear from Chloe, who has wonderful advice, but in the interim, the best advice I have for you is continue to crate train him. Perhaps his crate is too big, thus he can still go. If he is small, I recommend maybe buying a cat crate (smaller in size) until you get him potty trained. The smaller the space, the less likley he will go and lay in it. However, his last habitat may have allowed him to lay in it, thus it does not bother him. Most dogs do not like to lie in their own waste. It may take a few months, but he will eventually stop. As far as peeing in your lap, it is possible that he was so comfortable, and happy, that it did not even occur to him that he was going to the bathroom. We have to keep in mind, that although they are dogs to us ( mine are actually my babies and I treat them that way), when adopting a dog, we don't know what their previous life was like. So, it takes much patience and training. As your puppy is only 6 months old, he still has a long way to go, and he can only succeed if you work with him. Don't necessarily scold him, but make sure he knows that you are dismayed. Maybe something like "did you do that?". They are easily shamed, so even the slightest dismay in your voice affects their feelings. Let us know how you proceed and how your new puppy is doing. We are interested in hearing from you
packmom
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:40 pm

We got a male beagle when he was 5 months old. Because we couldn't get him earlier he was in the kennel with his siblings and took to the habit of doing his business when ever and where ever he wished. It took us a long time to get him to go outside. What worked for us, and I see you're doing some of this already, was we took him out every 20 mins to the same spot on a leash and told him to "Go pee" or "do your business" eventually he got used to it but even after days of no accidents he would look up at us and pee in the kitchen. We praised him a lot when he did do his business outside. Your little one will get used to it. Tucker learned to recognize the leash and the spot outside to mean it was time for his duty. Good luck, I hope this helps a bit....I think it took us about 3 months to train him completely. Enjoy your beagle, we really do! They are amazing dogs!
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Return to Potty Training Puppies