Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
How long does it take to potty train?? : Potty Training Puppies
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

How long does it take to potty train??

Toilet training (or potty training) is the process of training a young puppy to use the "toilet" ie: not use your house for urination and defecation, weaning him.

How long does it take to potty train??

Postby JessieB » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:37 am

My husband and I adopted an 8 week old beagle/bichon mix puppy 3 weeks ago. This is our first dog so we are learning as we go. My question is, how long does it normally takes to potty train a puppy?? Our puppy continues to have accidents in the house everyday (mostly peeing) and always pees in his crate. I feel like we are getting no where with potty training and he has no clue that it is bad to go to the bathroom inside. I'm not sure if this is normal or if we are doing someting wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! :D
JessieB
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby Vanessa » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:00 am

Puppies lack full bladder control until around 4 months of age so its best to take them outside frequently....as often as every 30 minutes to prevent indoor accidents and build a habit of going on a specific outdoor surface such as grass.
The puppy should be heavily praised each time, the second he finishes eliminating outside so be sure you are outside with him so you can praise him appropriately. A short play session afterwards also makes a nice reward.

The length of time it takes to fully housetrain a puppy depends on the individual dog as well as the consistancy of the owner. I think the average puppy is housetrained by 4 months - 8 months of age.

It is preferable to teach a puppy to go outdoors only (rather than on papers and outside) if your goal is to have him eliminate exclusively outside. However, if its not possible to take the puppy outside frequently enough to prevent most indoor accidents, it would be best to set up an X-pen with a potty area inside the pen, opposite of his sleeping area. If you plan to train the puppy to go outdoors only, try to make the indoor potty area scented like the outdoor potty area. This can be accomplished by rubbing grass and/or soil on a potty pad.
Vanessa
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby JessieB » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:28 am

Thanks for the response, it was very helpful. We crate our puppy during the day for 4 hours at a time and then take him out every hour for the remainder of the evening. My concern is that he doesn't understand that it's bad to go to the bathroom inside. We praise him when he goes outside and scold him when he goes inside but nothing seems to register. He also always pees in his crate.
JessieB

dog

Postby suebgone » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:55 am

Your puppy is too young to hold it for 4 hours so he has no choice but to go in his crate. You will get far better results by using positive reinforcement when he does go outside than scolding him when he goes in the house.

If you are only taking him out every hour & he is still going in the house then obviously you are not taking him out often enough. Every half hour or so is recommended until 3 - 4 months.

You seem to be expecting way too much from an 11 week old puppy - who may not even be that old.
suebgone
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby JessieB » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:59 am

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try taking him out more often now. Would you recommend putting wee wee pads in his crate?? Unfortunetly I can only come home on my lunch break to take him out during the day. Thanks again!
JessieB

This Potty Training Stuff

Postby newpuggleowner » Mon May 01, 2006 6:05 pm

Hi,

Actually, I understand your frustration completely. I just purchased a mixed breed puppy about four weeks ago, and I was having some of the same problems. I basically paper trained her...to go outside her crate, because she was going inside her crate, like your dog. There is a divider that you can get with your crate, which will allow the dog access to a small portion of the crate. if you use this tool, you will find success. minimize the dog's area, because he will naturally want to keep the area he sleeps in clean. it's a natural instinct. eventually, the dog will only go in a specific area, and the pee pads work great!!! Especially if you're busy like me.
newpuggleowner

potty training

Postby kat » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:35 pm

Hi, I just got a french bulldog a week ago. Not one accident in the house yet! I'm sure I have the full proof plan! I have her in a small crate and I leave the door open. I have her crate food and litter box in a small section puppy fenced off. In the liiter box I bought a peice of sod, live grass and lined the litter box with the grass. She loves it and no accidents while I'm at work :-)
kat

Postby TIGGER » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi,
I consider myself really lucky in this regard.

I have a cheeky little Springer spaniel who was nine weeks old when we got him. We crate trained too and i read lots of advice about it and pestered everyone on here too. :wink:

Tigger hasnt done a poo inside EVER. How clever is that! He has the occasional accident (wee) but thats usually either because WE are not quick enough getting him from his crate and outside (and that doesnt just mean opening the back door-ive found its better to go out too and give whatever command youre gonna use. I use Be Quick just because i didnt want to be shouting out Weewee or Go potty across the neighbourhood! :) ) or because someone he would rather see has just left the kitchen via the dog proof gate and so off he bounds and gets caught short.

You really do need to watch constantly for the signs tho' . If they squat pick them up saying No, outside and carry them out. Even if they are in mid flow (well i did) They can then finish off outside while you SILENTLY clean up. Be sure to use something which will eliminate the odour so they dont return to the same spot.

If you dont feel like an utter loon outside when theyve gone youre not praising enough! :lol: Youd think mine had flown to the moon sometimes but hey,it works and my kitchen floor is only strewn with grass, discarded snail shells and splashes from the water bowl, not wee and poo.

I put a vet bed inside my crate and he has never soiled it. I didnt fancy using pads or newspaper as it seemed to illogical to me. In the end they need to re-learn to go outside anyway so why not start that way. I got a LOT of pressure from family and strangers alike that newspaper was the only/best way to housetrain but im so glad i stuck to my guns and read up on the philosophy behind crate training.

Good luck with it all. Its those four hours which will be the difficult part and i appreciate not all owners have the liberty to stay home and watch for puppys squatting! LOL

kat, i imagine your 'garden' looks quite impressive. :wink:
TIGGER

Re: How long does it take to potty train??

Postby mgump810 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:19 am

it really depends on each individual dog and each owner for how fast a dog is trained. Its hard to get a dog trained when you work during the day, but definately possible...just take a little longer. My first dog was a siberian husky/timberwolf mix... after 2 weeks of training, she has never gone inside again. I used to positive reinforcement/no-punish method with her (unless i caught her in the act then id let her know it was bad). To this day, i have used the same phrase when she gets outside and she goes on command. When she needs to go, she comes to me, sits down, barks once and whines...i got her used to letting me know this way by taking her out everytime she whined after she got the concept of using the bathroom outside.
Now, i have a new puppy...she is a beagle/terrior mix. Ive had her for a month now, and shes just getting the concept of going outside. I still get surprises inside about once a day, but its better than 2 weeks ago when there would be a surprise once every couple or hours. She always goes in the same room inside, so when i catch her using the bathroom in that room, i lock her in there with it for no more than 5 minutes...she realizes she doesnt want to be around it and it helps her realize that she can use the bathroom and get away from it by going outside...like i said that has helped tremendously with the accidents. I did mess up by letting her play outside right after she used the bathroom outside the first few times...but ive broken that habit by bringing her in directly after using the bathroom and treating her, then taking her back out 5 minutes later to play. She knows the difference in outside potty time and outside play time that way and gives me a chance to only use the potty command when she is to use the bathroom. I'm currently training her to use a bell to let me know when she needs to go...shes got that concept about half way down. I just hung a bell off the door knob and everytime i get ready to take her outside to potty, i make her sit and take her paw and hit the bell. She knows that the bell means time to go outside, but she doesnt realize its only meant for outside potty time...so she walks by and hits it anytime she wants to go outside, whether to potty or play. But it seems to be working very well.
mgump810
NewBorn Puppy Member

Re: How long does it take to potty train??

Postby Puppy Potty Training » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Puppies are like babies, they require a regular puppy potty training schedule. At the beginning your puppy may need to empty his bladder every hour, as he grows he will be able to hold back urination for an additional hour. You may want to read "simple puppy potty training plan" at http://dog-obedience-training-ideas.com ... g-routine/.
Puppy Potty Training
NewBorn Puppy Member

Return to Potty Training Puppies