Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Potty trained dog pees inside only when I'm home : Potty Training Puppies
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Potty trained dog pees inside only when I'm home

Toilet training (or potty training) is the process of training a young puppy to use the "toilet" ie: not use your house for urination and defecation, weaning him.

Potty trained dog pees inside only when I'm home

Postby havok5178 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 am

Hi all, I'm new, so be gentle :)

I recently adopted a sweet nightmare of a dog named Maxx. I jest, he's really a great dog, just a little unruly. Oh, I forgot to mention that he's a year old and was born blind.

He's extremely intelligent, having already learned in just a month the commands for left, right, step up and step down (for curbs and stairs), and he's 90% reliable with sit when he's not overly excited.

My problem is with his pottying. Three days a week I have to leave him for 8 hours, and when I do, he holds it and doesn't potty on the carpet, but when I'm home, if I'm watching TV or reading, he'll pee on the carpet without a second thought even though I take him out religiously once an hour. I know he's not marking since he doesn't lift his leg, and if I catch him in the act and say "No," he immediately goes tail between the legs.

I treat him and praise him when he goes outside, and never punish when he goes inside (he's blind though and couldn't "hide" it from me anyway). I also immediately clean the area with an enzyme cleaner and then mark the spot with vinegar water to keep him from using the same spot.

I've recently seen the vet, and it's not a UTI, and I know he can hold it, since he does it on the days I'm at work. I'm kind of at my wits end with the little guy. If it was just an issue of when I was gone, I'd leave him on tile floor, but he just did it tonight, fifteen minutes after our walk (during which he pottied twice!).

I appreciate the help!

shaun
havok5178
NewBorn Puppy Member

my thoughts

Postby Peggy Swager » Thu May 07, 2009 12:17 pm

I'd try a belly band. This can be bought (do an internet serach) or made. I make the band out of used blue jeans with a saftey pin and a female pad to replace for accidents. It goes around the dog to catch pee. The holding of the pee against the dog right after the act, with some dogs, will discourage them doing that activity inside the house.

Peggy Swager
APDT-Behaviorist
author of Training the Hard to Train Dog
Peggy Swager
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby meezermom » Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Havok and welcome to SeeFido!

You are a unique person to have taken on a blind puppy and wherever he came from, he was very lucky as most people or places would not have given him a chance! Thanks for doing it!

I am wondering if your little guy simply does not know how to signal that he has to go! So we are into some type of training situation and I am not certain how to go about doing this! He needs to figure out a way to let you know he has to go and where to go! How is he at barking? Can you teach him to bark or speak on command? I am thinking that would be step one, then he would need to learn to associate a single woof with bathroom and being taken outside to go......He also needs to learn to empty his bladder. Some males will still mark without lifting a leg. That is a learned behavior and not all males will do it.

I also think we have a couple members with blind dogs so hopefully they will see this and stop by and offer advice.
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Return to Potty Training Puppies