Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Half Rotti n half Pitbull : What Dog Breed is This? Come Guess for Fun or to Help.
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Half Rotti n half Pitbull

A little games started by our great users that is turning out never popular. Come in and play!
Post a picture of your dog or any dog and have others tell you what breed they think is it.

Half Rotti n half Pitbull

Postby Evin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 pm

is that a bad mix?
Evin
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby HeatherMack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:42 pm

In my opinion no dog is a "bad mix". The way the dog turns out is all dependent on the owner and how it is raised/treated/trained. True, a dog can take the bad traits of both parents and be a particularly difficult dog to handle, but this doesn't mean that in the right hands it won't be capable of being a good dog.
I wouldn't judge a dog just by what breed it happens to have the misfortune of being. Underneath the fur coat - of a rottie/lab/collie/bull dog/mastiff/yorkie/whatever - is just a dog as far as I'm concerned.

Why do you ask, are you thinking of adopting one?
HeatherMack
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Evin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:42 pm

im getting one as a puppy really soon , i jus wanna know if i should get it ,
Pitbulls & Rottis r the most beatfuuil & one of the most dagerous dogs , out there , .. its a beatfuil mix in my opion though , my other friends r sceard for some histrioc reason,
Evin
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:48 am

Well, a lot is going to depend here. Are we talking about a couple of street bred dogs who got hooked together and had puppies? Do the parents have poor temperment and are the nasty dogs themselves? If you have to be honest and say yes to this, then I would avoid the puppy. Not because it is a pit/rott cross but because it is a pit/rott cross from poor stock... Yes, both types are headstrong and powerful. They do need firm handling and you should have experience handling dogs. If this is your very first dog of your own, I would not recommend this dog for you but something easier to deal with. Most of our pit owners here have experience or have been really lucky with the dogs they have gotten. Not everyone has a Tink! She is probably one of the best pit crosses out there....a very gentle loving dog... You will need to do socialization from the very beginning and plan on taking obedience classes for quite some time... you want a well trained dog and not a bully but that goes for everyone!

If you can tell us more about the parents and how they are handled and such, we may be able to help you more....
meezermom
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby Evin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:56 am

The Rotti is i belive , CKC regesisterd and germanblood line , the Pitbull is very calm gental , both parents are on site , if he hooked up with a rotti dont you belive the pitbull must be good with other dogs .
Evin
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby APBTLove » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 am

meezermom wrote:Well, a lot is going to depend here. Are we talking about a couple of street bred dogs who got hooked together and had puppies? Do the parents have poor temperment and are the nasty dogs themselves? If you have to be honest and say yes to this, then I would avoid the puppy. Not because it is a pit/rott cross but because it is a pit/rott cross from poor stock... Yes, both types are headstrong and powerful. They do need firm handling and you should have experience handling dogs. If this is your very first dog of your own, I would not recommend this dog for you but something easier to deal with. Most of our pit owners here have experience or have been really lucky with the dogs they have gotten. Not everyone has a Tink! She is probably one of the best pit crosses out there....a very gentle loving dog... You will need to do socialization from the very beginning and plan on taking obedience classes for quite some time... you want a well trained dog and not a bully but that goes for everyone!

If you can tell us more about the parents and how they are handled and such, we may be able to help you more....

I agree with everything Meezer said.

Aww thank you, Tink is a special girl.
The vet said she was pure :D
APBTLove
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby APBTLove » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:47 am

Evin wrote:The Rotti is i belive , CKC regesisterd and germanblood line , the Pitbull is very calm gental , both parents are on site , if he hooked up with a rotti dont you belive the pitbull must be good with other dogs .

Not true, a dog in heat not matter how dog aggressive is much, much more accepting of other dogs, my rather irresponsible friend has an american bulldog who wants to kill every dog it sees, and fights every time it gets in contact with it's sister, but she allowed a male to come INTO HER YARD was in heat.

And a dog getting along with others does have to do with how they are raised, socializing ASAP and every day with other dogs is very important with any dog, but especially this breed, since most APBTs are very hard-headed dogs and are not easy to break of dog aggression after it has set in, my little girl is proof of that, after being attacked by other dogs.

If you do not think you can handle a dog with a strong personality, a very strong body considering the mix, one who needs at east 2 hours of good aerobic exercise a day to be calm-ish and sane, who will need to be socialized every day with as many different people as possible and needs positive reinforcement and consistent training, than a breed of this mix is not for you.
Both pitties and rotts are VERY destructive when bored, so if you have a job where you will be leaving this dog alone for extended periods of time, I would suggest not getting a dog... Especially an intelligent and powerful breed.

I have a hole in my yard over 2 feet wide and about 1.5 feet deep from not walking my pit the other day, then she took a cushion off the the couch and left it from one end of the house to the other.
THEY GET VERY BORED without a lot of exercise and mental stimulation.

But I cannot get mad at her.. Look at that face:
APBTLove
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Evin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 am

APBTLove wrote:
Evin wrote:The Rotti is i belive , CKC regesisterd and germanblood line , the Pitbull is very calm gental , both parents are on site , if he hooked up with a rotti dont you belive the pitbull must be good with other dogs .

Not true, a dog in heat not matter how dog aggressive is much, much more accepting of other dogs, my rather irresponsible friend has an american bulldog who wants to kill every dog it sees, and fights every time it gets in contact with it's sister, but she allowed a male to come INTO HER YARD was in heat.

And a dog getting along with others does have to do with how they are raised, socializing ASAP and every day with other dogs is very important with any dog, but especially this breed, since most APBTs are very hard-headed dogs and are not easy to break of dog aggression after it has set in, my little girl is proof of that, after being attacked by other dogs.

If you do not think you can handle a dog with a strong personality, a very strong body considering the mix, one who needs at east 2 hours of good aerobic exercise a day to be calm-ish and sane, who will need to be socialized every day with as many different people as possible and needs positive reinforcement and consistent training, than a breed of this mix is not for you.
Both pitties and rotts are VERY destructive when bored, so if you have a job where you will be leaving this dog alone for extended periods of time, I would suggest not getting a dog... Especially an intelligent and powerful breed.

I have a hole in my yard over 2 feet wide and about 1.5 feet deep from not walking my pit the other day, then she took a cushion off the the couch and left it from one end of the house to the other.
THEY GET VERY BORED without a lot of exercise and mental stimulation.

But I cannot get mad at her.. Look at that face:

That is one beatfuil Pitbill I may add ,
the dog its a puppy so its better if i train it now ?
the only thing is I have school..
but that no biggy
ill be bak at 2 forshure to play wid it the whole day
my faviorte thing is to play with it & take it out for walks
but its Half & half , so i should get a cage?
Evin
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby LizzyInTexas » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:43 am

I think all puppies who have to be left alone unsupervised in the house should be in a crate until they learn the house rules. This will probably be at least several months for a young puppy. Crates are also very helpful when you need to confine your dog for medical procedures, car rides, and many other reasons, so it's a good idea to crate train a puppy, no matter what breed.

Yes, pitties and rotties both need a lot of mental stimulation and training. It's very important that you start training when the puppy is young, preferably as soon as you get him. It's not necessarily easier to train a puppy, but it's better to train him when he's young so that you can start practicing good behaviors from the very beginning. So yes, you should get him into a puppy class ASAP!

That said, it's equally important to continue training your dog even when he's an adult. Since these breeds are very smart, the dog will need a mental outlet - give him something productive to think about, or else he will think about how to be destructive! So training is not something that you'll only have to do for the first few months of puppy ownership, but you'll need to continue teaching him new things and giving him new, enriching experiences for the rest of his life.

What year are you in school?
LizzyInTexas
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Evin » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:45 am

LizzyInTexas wrote:I think all puppies who have to be left alone unsupervised in the house should be in a crate until they learn the house rules. This will probably be at least several months for a young puppy. Crates are also very helpful when you need to confine your dog for medical procedures, car rides, and many other reasons, so it's a good idea to crate train a puppy, no matter what breed.

Yes, pitties and rotties both need a lot of mental stimulation and training. It's very important that you start training when the puppy is young, preferably as soon as you get him. It's not necessarily easier to train a puppy, but it's better to train him when he's young so that you can start practicing good behaviors from the very beginning. So yes, you should get him into a puppy class ASAP!

That said, it's equally important to continue training your dog even when he's an adult. Since these breeds are very smart, the dog will need a mental outlet - give him something productive to think about, or else he will think about how to be destructive! So training is not something that you'll only have to do for the first few months of puppy ownership, but you'll need to continue teaching him new things and giving him new, enriching experiences for the rest of his life.

What year are you in school?

Well , I guess a crate will be good .
im in the 10th grade (=
Evin
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:45 am

Evin, as you are in tenth grade, I am going to take a guess you are about 17 right? Are you really ready to tie yourself down to a dog that will be with you until you are about THIRTY?? Hey, I mean you will almost be OLD then!! :lol: :lol: You will be dating and doing a great deal of living during these years and a dog can be a real inconvenience... give it thought here please! I am most definitely NOT saying you can't be a good and loving dog owner but a dog, especially a high demand breed like you are looking it is going to cut into your social life in a big way! The German line rotts are not real good as I think there is a health issue there...They are also highly dominant and aggressive dogs. And as Pit said, any dog will accept another when in hit. Shame you are not closer to Rico as his pittie just had a litter that looks pretty good. Give a lot of thought on this and remember, you do not need to get this dog or puppy right away....even waiting a month or two can make all the difference in the world!
meezermom

Postby HeatherMack » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:12 am

I just wanted to say that although I stand by everything I said in my earlier post, I just would like to reiterate the fact that any dog has the potential to be good in the right hands.

If you are determined to take on this puppy, be aware that both rotties and pit bulls are breeds that do best in experienced hands. Do your research, enrol in some training classes for yourself as well as the pup. Please don't just play with the pup and expect that simply all the love you can give it will make it turn out nice... It won't. Lots of exercise is a must when the pup grows up.

Please don't turn into one of those people that raise a headstrong breed badly, blame the breed, then have it put down, or dump it in rescue to become someone else's problem. :(

Yes, any dog has the potential to be good in the right hands, BUT in the wrong hands they all have the potential to be dangerous/boisterous too. And 99% of the time it's not the dog's fault. They can't pick their owner, so for the dog's sake you have to be sensible and be very careful to pick the right kind of dog for you.
HeatherMack
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby Laika » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Evin - I am in 12th grade, and have been involved with my dogs since I was 11 yrs old.

I don't want to say dogs wreck your social life, because they don't - but they do change it. You have to think about your dog before you commit to do things that are going to have you away from the house all day. You have to plan walking and training into your day.

Both these breeds (Rotti and Pitt) are very strong breeds. They need a calm, in-control owner. (And lots of patience!)

Be prepared for a lot of work and changes, if you realize the work that is ahead of you, plan, and don't run from your responsibility - than you should be fine. Just realize what you are getting into. Puppies are fun, until they keep you up all night crying and use your floor as the bathroom.
Laika
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby meezermom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:41 pm

Heather, you said a mouthful and every single word was very profound and true!

Laika, I keep forgetting you are as young as you are as you do write with so much maturity... Most young adults start with good intentions and then when the newness wears off, the dog suffers greatly for it. However, as you have proved, there are also very mature and responsible young adults who are really into the animal world and are very happy to work a dog or two into their lives permanently and well.
meezermom

Postby APBTLove » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:42 pm

That is one beatfuil Pitbill I may add ,
the dog its a puppy so its better if i train it now ?
the only thing is I have school..
but that no biggy
ill be bak at 2 forshure to play wid it the whole day
my faviorte thing is to play with it & take it out for walks
but its Half & half , so i should get a cage?

Thank you very much.

As others have said, it is best to train right away, s early as you can.
And training means not to jump up on people, to come when called (one of the most important things), to stay(stopped mine from getting run over once), to back off(if the dog is getting pushy with a human or another dog ect.) and more manners.
It shouldn't be called training, it should be called teaching them manners, because that really is all it is.
But training is for life, you have to be consistent with everything or it will confuse the dog, if you tell him off for jumping on you, and then the next day when he's overjoyed to see you home and puts his paws on you and you act like it is okay, it is sending mixed signals to your dog.

NEVER coddle a dog, or constantly love on it, I know pits are the best dogs to hug because they start getting that wiggle-butt thing going on, but constantly crooning over them will cause them, also, to believe they are the boss here. But if you are training as well as loving on them 24/7 it will confuse the dog.
The same friend with the american bulldogs I spoke of does this, and when the dogs won't get down off of them after being told, they shout and smack the dogs. I don't see a dog looking like he knew better, I see a confused dog who looks like he was about to bite her, a lower ranking pack member hurting him? In his eyes he is the boss, so he has all of the right to be standing on and over top of them, and for them lashing out they should be put in their place, a dog of his size and mix could do horrible damage.
As could a german rott and pit mix.

I, too, am still in school, and having to have a dog of this breed does cut into my social life, she needs a lot of exercise and training, which tends to make people think you're nutty.
Mainly when I get her to look at me and sit when a dog passes, they give me funny looks :lol:
APBTLove
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Next

Return to What Dog Breed is This? Come Guess for Fun or to Help.