Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Mother dog vomiting and pup eating it : Why is That? What's That? How Do I ...
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

Mother dog vomiting and pup eating it

Why do dogs do what they do? Howling, licking, sniffing, etc. etc. What is the weird thing your dog just did? How do you get a dog to do this and that? How do you stop a dog from doing that and this? Post here stuff you can't fit anywhere else in the "Puppy & Dog Training Obedience - Behavior" Category.

Mother dog vomiting and pup eating it

Postby Smiller » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:53 pm

My dog had pups at the breeder's home. Mom came home after six weeks and we just got one of her pups at 8 weeks. Mom has began vomiting and then the pup eats it if it is not cleaned up in time. Is this a normal behavior? They seem healthy in every way other than this. Does any one have any ideas?
Smiller
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Postby Lindsay » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:26 am

<p>Hi Smiller,</p>
<p>Both mom and pup need to be seen by the Vet.&nbsp; I really don't have any answers for you but you need to get to the bottom of it.&nbsp;</p>
<p>Was this dog yours from the start and you sent it to the breeders home to have the pups?&nbsp; I'm just curious because I didn't understand your post.</p>
Lindsay
Senior Award Contributor *****
Senior Award Contributor  *****

Postby ahaznboi » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:47 am

"Is this a normal behavior?"

if the mother intend to vomit out to let her pup eat it, i would said it's natural. when I was young and was in Vietnam, I've seen many dogs went hunt and come back home to vomit out food to feed her pup. It's not that we don't feed the dog enough, but it seem like it's natural for our native dog to take care of their young in their own way.

but unless your dog is sick, then it vomit is a different story.
ahaznboi
Senior Dog Loving Member **
Senior Dog Loving Member **

Postby Smiller » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:09 pm

Thanks, Lindsay and Ahaznboi. I finally got a hold of the breeder. She said it was a natural behavior. Mother dogs do this when they want to ween their pups. Kinda like penguins regurgitating for their young. Even though Maxine has dried up, I guess having baby here kicked in those natural instincts.

And to elaborate on our dog, Lindsay. We wanted to get a female English Cocker Spaniel but the breeder we were working with didn't have enough girls in the current litter. Since they were living in a travel trailer waiting for their house to be built and had a one year old they had to keep at a friend's kennel, they offered her to us. This dog is very sweet and is very active. They wanted to breed her, but also wanted her to have a family life. We signed a contract to let them breed her once. It was quite a deal--house broke, trained and she had been shown at a dog show and was awarded. Unfortunately, she was a little small for the standard. Anyway, she had six pups. When she was gone we missed her so much. We went to visit her and see her pups. On the way home we decided she needed a companion (and we had to have the puppy experience) so we got one of her pups.
Smiller
Teen Puppy Dog Member

Return to Why is That? What's That? How Do I ...