Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1028: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)

Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /home/seefido/public_html/dog-discussion-forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4584: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4587: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
How much sleep does a dog need? : Why is That? What's That? How Do I ...
Save-a-Dog Facebook application: a cause app to help shelter dogs and rescue puppies

How much sleep does a dog need?

Why does my dog do this? Vomiting, Howling, licking, limping, sleeping, not eating, etc. etc. What is the strange thing on my dog? How do you treat or diagnose a dog with this and that? Post here stuff you can't fit anywhere else in the "Dog Health Problems - Issues - Symptoms - Advice - Questions & Answers" Category. BUT REMEMBER: NOBODY HERE IS A VETERINARIAN!

How much sleep does a dog need?

Postby Dog Training by Trainer » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:47 pm

I'm temporarily looking after a working dog (I'm in a wheelchair), a 2 year old lab. My question is: how much sleep do dogs need? Due to my disability, I walk her 40 minutes a day, and do various training commands with her several times a day--fetching, tugging on doors, etc.-- but the rest of the time she's fairly inactive.
Dog Training by Trainer
Senior Contributor ***
Senior Contributor ***

Postby chloe » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Most dogs sleep more than us humans however they don't sleep at at once like us, they normally take several naps throughout the day.
Since she is a working dog and she does have some sort of activity during the day, she might rest longer, however when they are young they welcome activity and anything they have to do they will do happily.
chloe
Site Admin

ZZZZZzzzzzzz.......

Postby heart » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:59 pm

Not even sure there is a rule.
One of our dogs sleeps a lot, like most of the day and night. But on the other hand, she can follow a scent all day when we take her bushwalking.
Another one is always looking for some activity around the place and rarely sleeps more than 4 to 6 hrs a day, but she has working dog in her.
Most dogs are happy to take a nap when there is nothing exciting going on around them.
I guess it depends on the breed, their health, their age and how much their senses are stimulated.
heart
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member
Senior Dog Enthusiast Member

Postby LabLover » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:16 pm

My 11 month old labrador Guide Dog in Training sleeps around 6 hours during the day. He is very active. For working dogs, giving her as much activity as you can is a great idea. Mental stimulation is very important, as the dog was chosen to be a working dog becuase she is very smart! But like some people have said, there's no rule, and chances are that she will sleep less and just wander around the house if she doesn't get much activity. Hope that helps.
LabLover

Return to Why is That? What's That? How Do I ...